What do you want to see in 10.5 (Leopard)?

Swad

221 posts in this topic

I dont think NTFS write support is going to ever come...it doesnt work on linux (you can only overwrite existing files)

Captive is working fine using the original windows drivers. Just install captive, copy the M$ ntfs driver (ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe) to /var/lib/captive and mount with something like this:

mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

Here a Live-CD using captive. Copy the files ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe (taken from XP SP1) to /var/lib/captive before you mount a drive:

http://www.inside-security.de/INSERT_en.html

captive doesnt count. you cant distribute those files on cd without microsofts permission so you need a copy of windows just to use it. and you cant use an old version because microsoft updates ntfs each time they bring out a new os.

last time i checked, the linux ntfs driver could only overwrite existing files. and if the file was smaller it would need to be padded with empty space. but i havent checked in probably a year.

it would be cool if they both supported a decent filesystem (ie not fat32) so you could create a shared partition that you used with both drives. I guess you could use ext2/3 which you can mount using partition magic i believe

Edited by msudude

captive doesnt count. you cant distribute those files on cd without microsofts permission so you need a copy of windows just to use it. and you cant use an old version because microsoft updates ntfs each time they bring out a new os.

But surely the very reason you would want to access an NTFS partition is because you already have a copy of windows (and the ntfs version would be the same) !

i suppose youre right, although people might want to someday get data off an old drive. but i guess they would still have windows installed on that drive anyway

i guess the ext2/3 solution would be the best if you were going to be dual booting for right now

It seems like most people want more driver support, and some people want additional finder features. Drivers are largely the responsibility of OEMs, not Apple. Most Finder features suggested clash or are redundant with current Finder paradigms. Unless your idea is a the clear and elegant approach, it will never happen, so save your breath.

My wishes for 10.5 include an open API for an extended software update, as well as networking improvements.

Software update's API should be open and available to all programmers, so one does not have to open each and every application and click "Check for updates..." Additionally, Software update should be able to track software packages-- if you move an application into a different folder, software update should be able to find it.

It would also be really nice to be able to manage software that does not fall into the application category, such as drivers, libraries, extensions, etc. That includes removing said software. Perhaps have a "System Software Manager," rather than complicate software update.

Network performance could use some tweaking. Specifically, the finder should not hang if a network device not in use unexpectedly goes offline. That's one of the only times I see the beachball these days, and it is largely preventable.

It would be cool to see some new, fancy, 3d finder paradigm, but I'll leave to people would perhaps have more skill than I, and certainly have more time to design such a system thoughtfully.

Edited by altaic

Network performance could use some tweaking. Specifically, the finder should not hang if a network device not in use unexpectedly goes offline. That's one of the only times I see the beachball these days, and it is largely preventable.

I read an article somewhere about this issue - i thought i was to do with the way drives are mounted within os x and that it was fixed in 10.4. If only i could actually remember the content of the article...

I want them to fix internet connect so that it will authenticate to an ISA server using certificates.

- reiser 4 support

- an improved version of darWINE

- an Aquafied version of OpenOffice that ships on every new Apple Mac

- more 64 bit support

- front row improved and made able to be used from EFI

- EFI implementation that allows drivers installation more transparent for end users and that doesn't implement DRM at the hardware level.

Looks like a lot of you just don't know, what you can do with OS X

At first - go read help - shortcuts and use of modifyer keys (system-wide and application-wise ones)

At second - go read help - expose

At third - go Finder - view - customise toolbar

At fourth - go there: http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter , get a copy of shapeshifter and do what you want with "look&feel". And go there: http://www.atpm.com/11.02/customizing.shtml and read - there are only 3 pages, it's not so hard!

At fifth - with no additional software at all - create folder, drug there aliases of anything, call that folder 'Applications' and set it to leftmost place in Dock.

Then, what for do you need 3-d interface? becoase Vista will have 'more 3-d look'? {censored}. Keyboard navigation EVERYWHERE is MUCH faster then mouse clicking. So, if you want to be productive, you'll use shortcuts and keyboard navigation anyway. By the way, there are at least one 3-d interface extender, can't recall name, somewhere in apple downloads. Used it for fun, then killed.

Do you know that KDE (or gnome, can't recall) already works on OS X under X11? If you like them. http://www.macworld.com/news/2002/05/31/kde/ -By 2002!

Than, Apple (actually, real vendors) will provide drivers ONLY for their own hardware. Isn't that clear?

64-bit support - what exactly processor&application for? Just for hog more memory and get speed penalty on memory bus?

Actually, OS X needs not enhansements in interface field. It's customizable enough and there are a lot of (free) software to fill your needs. Just TRY to find what you need first, than ask. It exists.

For exotic(foreign) filesystems - why Apple should support them? Most (actual Apple) users fulfill Apple's recommendations on file exchange and uses for that FAT 32(it needs improvement by the way) that reads/writes everywhere.

There are more interesting/important things.

Why I can't save one document, open other and work with third in one time? THIS is real multitasking.

Why fonts(of same format) aren't fully interoperable with Windows? (question for both systems)

Why Finder waits for stalled network copy or server unmount?

Why actually there aren't system-wide uninstaller? System keeps track of installed packages already (in recipes, as I can recall). Note: there exists Yank uninstaller: http://www.matterform.com/index.php?page=/yank/ that almost fills the gap.

And much more.

Edited by dmdimon

• 2 weeks later...

Mac would benifit from looking at "hidden features" and "hidden secrets" and silly nonsense like that and sitting back for moment to realize just how ridiculously goofy and idiotic that is, before they do anything else. Then they could read articles that are published under titles like that in macworld and simalar mags, and keep them as examples of how not to write a manual. Then they could hire someone who does know how to write one and have the manual sitting there right beside the applications folder waiting for the user.

Another thing they could have that would draw more people in from the linux users would be a master button that connects and dissconects internet, a button that when it is off it overides anything that would want to connect, updates, widgets or anything else so the user does not have to go arround several places unchecking boxes or disabling widgets to get rid of that loony popup that says it cant find an internet connection, when you dont even have a need for an internet connection.

...or additionally they could give intructions on how to change the popup so that instead of it appearing every 2 minutes or whatever it is that you could set for once every 150 years or so.

Staying on topic, I would really like to see a couple things - above all. In Leopard.

First and foremost. Something better than Microsoft Office with full support for all of Microsoft's Office formats (but not as bulky and slow as OpenOffice.org). I mean I love Keynote - it beats PowerPoint one hundred percent, but why can't I have a full Replacement for Word, Publisher, Powerpoint, Excel, Onenote, and Outlook, all in one feature rich program - like Office. With support for all Office formats plus more...

Also, I would like to see a T.V. addon to FrontRow! Having to add T.V. to Front Row adds - you got it- A T.V. Card! Don't forget HD support built in, as well.

And finally, a two button mouse included with - laptops. Come on Apple. Everyone knows right click is the faster way to get stuff done. Yes, ease of use is good, but sometimes the best way for people who are only dabbling into stuff - not yet hardcore, but working on it - is to right click...

And now for the grand finale... If Apple were to be so bold, they would put a big team of professional developers on a certain project day and night. This project would lead to everyone wondering: Why am I still using Windows (unless, of course, for the hardware flexibility)?

This project would do something so great, so unbelievable; it would shock the socks off people's feet. It would be... something like Rosseta for Windows. Allowing all Windows programs to run on Mac - just as if it was running on Windows. It would create a "virtual" Windows drive on the Mac (that grows and shrinks depending on space needs). The programs would be allowed to use all the hardware through Windows drivers (and if something crashed then Mac wouldn't crash). New games would play just as good as if it were on a Windows computer, because they would access the CPU and GPU very easily. And, this whole process would be transparent to the end user. They click on an .exe and are given complete control of it's program. Even programs like the much envied "Nero" would be able to fully access the DVD drive and use it to burn DVDs CDs and Recode as easily as on a PC - no glitches, no problems.

That would make a Mac the ultimate computer - and if everyone was using Macs because of that why would developers continue making Windows versions of their apps? They'll just make a Mac version because that would make the startup times faster for their apps and give them added control of the GUI, etc.

This is what I would like to see in Leopard - oh, and a really nice interface that practically mocks Windows (why else would I have switched?) I'm talking - transparent windows that are virtual 3d so that you can move them around in a 3d space (kinda like lg3d). All widgets can be orderly stowed away to something similar to a sidebar - but more macish (like with scrolling and bouncing and magnification).

I hope I didn't forget to mention - built in HD (Bluray and HDDVD support)...

Perfect :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here are mine.

1. G3 support. I still think Leopard will signal the death of the G3 in terms of OS compatibility and a lot of us G3 users will be unhappy.

2. Pick an OS theme and stick with it. Either choose metal or plastic and use that for every Apple application.

3. Destroy any and all Firefox support. It is horrible for the Mac and Camino works a lot better anyway (and it's based on the same engine).

4. Better *nix integration without needing the X11 layer. Apple's done an ok job at integrating this, but there's a lot left to go for full integration.

5. Better uninstalling. You drag the application to the trash and the system automatically trashes the .plist files with it.

6. Return Stuffit to the Utilities folder. This is just a matter of preference, but I do like it more than the built in zip utility

7. Less dependence on file extensions to define what kind of file you're dealing with.

I'd like them to get totally get rid of the brushed metal....

Thay have made a start with 10.3.9, 10.4 - I want it all to look like Tiger SystemPrefs and the new iTunes - the old one was horrible.

Anyway, down with brushed metal, and up with the Tiger style...

x

I want all the benefits mentioned above :hysterical:

And I want that good ol' wallpaper to be replaced by a much more modern and hi'teck solution. "the living window" Your desktop shows an virtual inviroment, like an pinetree forest and a river + animals using todays rendering motors. :( (did anyone follow me on that?) :)

Im Happy with Apple 100% . Infact i couldnt see one thing they could change on Tiger. But its funny i said that on 10.1 and below and every mac os ive used. when its latest i cant see anything to upgrade cause its already better than nix and windows! you go on windows and try to use it and dont dl one app for it, and tell me witch is better :dev:

-MacX

P.s 10.5 will prolly have 100-200 more new things like tiger did and panther

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Virtualization and/or a compatibility layer (like or even based on wine/darwine) for Windows built in. Virtualization is far more likely. but I'm pretty sure one of those is coming.

Virtualization and/or a compatibility layer (like or even based on wine/darwine) for Windows built in. Virtualization is far more likely. but I'm pretty sure one of those is coming.

I would really like to see this too. :) It would make my switch over from Windoze to Mac so much easier. Does anyone think that this virtualization layer would be able to run apps like VMWare?