OSx86 installed on P35

badge

172 posts in this topic

the instructions were for getting the sound on the P5K-E working. if your sound module isn't an ADI 1988B, then the instructions are unlikely to help much. That said, I am very encouraged by all the ASUS P35 users I've seen here lately, The more brains, the better.

The more brains, the better.

i do agree!

Are you sure you got the right ids from Windows XP or Vista as shown in the tutorial ? If so, not even the volume control tab appears ?!? Weird

yes im sure noting comes up, but now im a little confuse, i install ALC883 kext pkg wich installs applehda kext no apple azalia, but anyways i edit booth appleHDA and AppleAzalia and their controler kext nome of them work :( maybe im doing something wrong, now my question is wich one should i use? applehda o appleazalia?

(jus remember p35 ich9 alc883, this topic is ADI)

i do agree!

yes im sure noting comes up, but now im a little confuse, i install ALC883 kext pkg wich installs applehda kext no apple azalia, but anyways i edit booth appleHDA and AppleAzalia and their controler kext nome of them work ;) maybe im doing something wrong, now my question is wich one should i use? applehda o appleazalia?

(jus remember p35 ich9 alc883, this topic is ADI)

Actually don't edit both : delete AppleHDA so it doesn't interfere with Azalia, then edit Azalia with the 2 proper ids for ALC883, and theorically, it should work.

Actually don't edit both : delete AppleHDA so it doesn't interfere with Azalia, then edit Azalia with the 2 proper ids for ALC883, and theorically, it should work.

i just tryed didn't work :hysterical:

i just tryed didn't work :(

Weird :( Now can you try Taruga's method but having your own codec dump and not using an existing one ?

Seems i'm gonna buy a I975 chipset instead of this one since I need sound.

EDIT : sorry to think you are a noob, but are you sure permissions are ok ? And what does it do when you kextload AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext in the terminal ? Any errors ? Could you copy / paste ? Thanks

asap18 : I think Sgerber knows that but he keeps saying it doesn't work... Don't have the mobo to try that myself unfortunately but I don't understand why ALC 883 on a ICH9 wouldn't work with AppleHDA or Azalia, doesn't make any sens...

Weird ;) Now can you try Taruga's method but having your own codec dump and not using an existing one ?

Seems i'm gonna buy a I975 chipset instead of this one since I need sound.

EDIT : sorry to think you are a noob, but are you sure permissions are ok ? And what does it do when you kextload AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext in the terminal ? Any errors ? Could you copy / paste ? Thanks

asap18 : I think Sgerber knows that but he keeps saying it doesn't work... Don't have the mobo to try that myself unfortunately but I don't understand why ALC 883 on a ICH9 wouldn't work with AppleHDA or Azalia, doesn't make any sens...

hehe don't worry my friend i know sounds kind of noob thats ok, but yes i know what im doing, ill try the tortuga method and ill paste here the log, but yes is very possible that im doing something wrong doesn't make sence to me neither.

Update on my ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi AP setup:

I was able to get most of the hardware moved over from my previous setup this weekend, and just about everything is working:

CPU: Core 2 Duo e6600 @ 3.2 GHz

RAM: 2 x 1gb Corsair XMS 2 DDR800 PC6400

Video: eVGA 7600GT 256 pci-e - 2 x DVI output (using Natit 0.2)

Monitors: Dell 1905FP x 2 @ 1280 x 1024

Hard Drives: 4 x Seagate 400gb SATA2 connected to 4 red sata connectors

1 x Seagate 300gb SATA2 connected to black sata connector

DVD drive: Samsung SH183L DVD-RW connected to black sata connector

Sound: Creative SBLive! 24-bit USB

Keyboard: Microsoft Desktop Elite USB

Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution

Power Supply: Seasonic M12

Cooling: Custom water cool

Case: Antec P180 black

Installed native 10.4.9 using uphuck v 1.3 from the Demon. Natit 0.2 and Universal Kernel 3.

Working:

Ethernet x 2 after kext editing here

Wireless working as client using this (OS X driver for RTL8187L). Doesn't work with DHCP, need to use manual IP.

On-board audio - 2-channel output only.

Rear Panel USB

Not working:

Sleep mode

On-board USB

Digital audio

Not tested:

Firewire

Rear-panel eSata

On-board IDE

RAID

I'll post some benchmarks when I get a chance. Initially, I got xbench of 260 without HDD, and 140 with HDD. HDD performance is extremely low.

DVD drive: Samsung SH183L DVD-RW connected to black sata connector

I could have sworn I read in the manual not to use the black ports for boot drives, are you able to boot from the optical drive? Also if you leave a disk in the drive for a while does it do the weird spooling down thing i was talking about earlier in the thread?

HDD performance is extremely low.

Yeah, tell me about it, I think it might just be an issue with xbench though. My Hack's Geekbench score is about 4500 (compared to a quad 3.0 GHz MacPro I saw on there @ 5300)

I could have sworn I read in the manual not to use the black ports for boot drives, are you able to boot from the optical drive? Also if you leave a disk in the drive for a while does it do the weird spooling down thing i was talking about earlier in the thread?

mmm, read the manual...!

I haven't tried booting from the optical drive, although I thought I installed originally from that drive. I'll try to boot, with Mac and Win disks.

I haven't noticed a spooling down behavior with the optical drive. What types of disks do you notice it with?

DVDs, CDs... The disk would work fine when i first put it in. But if i let it sit a while, then try to access it. the files go all screwy. So naturally i tell it to eject, which it doesnt do. OS X then comes up with dialog telling me i've inserted a blank disc.

DVDs, CDs... The disk would work fine when i first put it in. But if i let it sit a while, then try to access it. the files go all screwy. So naturally i tell it to eject, which it doesnt do. OS X then comes up with dialog telling me i've inserted a blank disc.

Tonight I left a DVD in the drive (iLife'06) and no issues accessing it initially or 5 hours later. I will swap with other CD's and DVD's and see if any anomalies turn up.

nope ;) doesn't work

Bought the ASUS P5K with ALC883 and I do have sound tweaking AppleAzalia, so you are a noob IMO :dance_24:

So the id's are 0x10ec0883 and 0x293e8086

Be sure to delete AppleHDA.kext

Enjoy ;)

Sorry, haven't had a chance to update profile with new hardware.

New system is:

ASUS P5K-E

Core 2 Duo e6600

eVGA 7600GT

2 x 1gb Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12

Thermaltake Toughpower 750

Seagate 400gb SATA/300

Samsung DVD RW SH-S183 (SATA)

Installed uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3, Natit 0.1

While trying to get dual monitor working on the 7600GT, the VGA port stopped functioning. So, exchanged for another 7600GT, but this one has dual DVI ports.

I'm in the process of switching to a P5K Deluxe. The P5W DH is moving to another office, not sure if it will continue as Hackintosh.

i'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work...

here's my setup:

ASUS P5K

Core 2 Duo e6600

eVGA 7800GTS

2X1GB kingston

WD 74 GB Raptor HDD

WD 250 GB SATA HDD

WD 250 GB IDE HDD

Pioneer 212 DVD SATA

i've tried uphuck v1.3 with various kernels, etc and Jas 10.4.9 (patched) on both SATA and IDE HDDs.

the result?

the plist error that drives everyone crazy!

would you mind telling me how you got yours to properly boot, please?

now, i did get the 10.4.9 to boot on my amd laptop...i used an sata/ide to usb adapter to accomplish that.

but i really want to get it working on my new intel setup..

ANY help/advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

i'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work...

here's my setup:

ASUS P5K

Core 2 Duo e6600

eVGA 7800GTS

2X1GB kingston

WD 74 GB Raptor HDD

WD 250 GB SATA HDD

WD 250 GB IDE HDD

Pioneer 212 DVD SATA

i've tried uphuck v1.3 with various kernels, etc and Jas 10.4.9 (patched) on both SATA and IDE HDDs.

the result?

the plist error that drives everyone crazy!

would you mind telling me how you got yours to properly boot, please?

now, i did get the 10.4.9 to boot on my amd laptop...i used an sata/ide to usb adapter to accomplish that.

but i really want to get it working on my new intel setup..

ANY help/advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

WOW!!!!

FINALLY got it working!

what a treat...

only need ethernet and sound, which can wait til the morning.

runs smooth and fast and is utterly beautiful!

this procedure solved the issue of hanging on first reboot (i actually used uphuck v1.3 but this works as well)...thanks to OSX86tester for this one:

try rebooting then if you have the JAS dvd in. press f8 then type -v -s . then some text flies by. then type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

then you should see a fdisk: 1> then type PRINT, you will then see like partitiond and numbers. You will then select the partition IE im using partition 1. So you will Type flag 1 . then it should say partition 1 marked active. then you can quit then type reboot.

then darwin should load.

but then when i rebooted again, i got this error and a stall : disk0s1 I/O error

a bit of googling found the answer - unplug all usb devices and then reboot...success!

i've found some potential solutions to fix all of these problems, but it's gonna wait til tomorrow.

after numerous frustrating attempts, i finally got it.

hang in there and keep trying...it's worth it in the end!

thanks to everyone who helped me! :thumbsup_anim:

Yes, on the 3,4 ports of the P5K-E, they WILL NOT boot, if you do try them, you will get a waiting for root device error.

BTW, P35 is an excellent choice for Leopard, :angel::thumbsup_anim:

I just wish AppleHDA would work. :thumbsup_anim: 2ch ftl

Anyone can explain me why my Bluetooth dongle is sometimes recognized, and sometimes not ? In USB port 1 ?

BTW, the ASUS P5K does use as stated earlier another chipset than the P5K, and there is no MacOS driver :)

Not sure what I did, but some time after installing OS X drivers for my mouse and keyboard (Logitech Control Center and Intellipoint), Finder stopped working. I could open a drive icon for viewing, but I could not drag and drop, open preferences, save a file, or anything else Finder-related. Finder would relaunch every time I tried anything. Also, Terminal would not run either. As the install was still new, I reinstalled using uphuck 1.3.

I was able to boot fine using the SATA DVD connected to one of the black SATA connectors. I then proceeded to install to a SATA drive connected to the other black SATA connector.

Two new issues I have are Finder hangs for 2-3 seconds with spinning ball every so often (usually after some inactivity), and the on-board ethernet port I was using before (furthest to the right when viewing from behind) would not connect. I switched to the other ethernet port and all was fine.

usb bluetooth dongle works fine for me, no problems at all, mine is an Encore Bluetooth dongle

Anyone can explain me why my Bluetooth dongle is sometimes recognized, and sometimes not ? In USB port 1 ?

BTW, the ASUS P5K does use as stated earlier another chipset than the P5K, and there is no MacOS driver :P