Microsoft Surface

apowerr

49 posts in this topic

is it just me or is jeff han shown in both videos? like the one where he showcases his stuff about 10 months to a year ago and now this one. what if he and microsoft joined forces? maybe they bought him out or something and he's now working with them. would make a lot of sense to me instead of two companies trying for the exact same thing. one probably, just probably, a slight bit less concerned about development costs than the other.. eh?

Hey somebody had to be the first to roll out a production unit. Only MS has the sort of money to throw around to make a nerd's dream into an actuality. Would you rather have demonstrations of these streamed over the net to your computer, or would you want to see these things hands-on in real use? Most of the people who originally developed this concept were unable to transform it beyond anything more than a mere novelty.

Good artists copy, great artists steal. :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah exactly what Mr Gates Takuro said about the stealing thing..... :thumbsup_anim:

Robotskip, enough calling me or others stupid ok little boy? YES, in the consumer world you do drop glasses and {censored}, what happens to the damage to the Surface machine from kids and stuff? That is a real factor here, though you don't understand that. I still wonder what your purpose here is.
For all that is good, please read. Oh, and if you're going to try and berate someone for something they said it generally helps to not be a hypocrite, it kind of makes you look silly. Also, I never called you, or others, stupid, I said singling out a MS product for being 'accident prone' was bloody stupid.
And what happens if you drop something ? How bloody stupid is that ? What happens if I drop my cell phone, what happens if I drop my iPod, what happens if someone throws something at my LCD, what happens if I accidentally let go of my Wiimotem etc.

And about 'what if I break it' - well, as I pointed out, that's just an amazingly dumb thing to say and to try and single out a MS product.

There isn't really anything for me to answer but there is something for you to answer: Why is technology that in theory is prone to 'accidents' being singled out simply because it's a Microsoft product ? Either answer what I said in my first post (It's in bold, kid-o) or move on and stop being a hypocrite. So, what happens if a kid damages a touch-screen (Which have been around in various places for who knows how many years), or how about my other examples ?

Also, be a man, step up to what you've said and leave me blocked and like I said, if you want to try and call me out on 'insults' (I never said you were stupid, by the way, you just failed to comprehend the sentence) don't use ones like 'little boy,' 'twit,' and so on.

Is English your first language or did you drop out of high school, or something ? This is a serious question because you, and others, often have problems deciphering simple sentences, they aren't ambiguous or esoteric at all.

Seriously, to high for many places unless in large cities. Plus what happens if you drop something on it and it breaks? Talk about taking an employees paycheck for MANY weeks to pay for it and then what about customers? Nice and interesting, but not very practical.

They will probably be built to be durable and be able to stand a bit of abuse. Depending on individual applications, you could put a stronger plastic sheet over the screen to protect it even better. It might kill the stylus, but since it uses optical sensors to, it would still be very useful for other things. And once these hit production and they become more popular, you can be the price will go DOWN.

The interface also raises a lot of other questions like, how well does this thing hold up when you and four of your drunk friends are trying to look at photos of your kids, all at the same time.

Probably about the same as if they all tried to do it on a PC....actually, the PC might fare worse.

What I love is how these people scream 'troll' and the like with no basis and fail to counter anything I say, they simply make some silly 'LOLOL BLOCKED' comment and run off with their tail between their legs.

Kiko, grow up and find a base for your silly comments.

> He started insulting and then whines we insult him?

Umm, that's more or less what you did, not me, I only pointed out how much of a hypocrite you were being. So, in your words, someone is pathetic ?

Woah... The way he pushed the picture from the camera to the phone to transfer it was just plain killer. I have no words. Amazing!

I feel the same way. That was my favorite feature.

Not bad, I might have to get one when it comes out in the retail market.

As for putting drinks onto it, that's not a good idea unless it has protection from spills.

As for Multi-Touch, that's Apple's technology, doesn't Microsoft have to pay to license the technology from them?

its a great technoledgy - said and done

microsoft is the right company for the job with its income. Dont worry though apple will bring in something even better just you wait :P

and to robotskip - you start the fire and you will get burned

and to coolmatt the apple owning multi-touch has been gone over in this topic already... read it through

the one thing i have a problem with here is microsoft is definatly going to call it revolutionary - which it is not - it is bringing the technoledgy to the living room, so i guess you could call it a home revoloution but its not a technological revolution - and the wow started a while ago so i dont want to hear that {censored} again

However, some of the coolest features of Surface seem like they have impracticalities hindering their use in the real world. For example, Surface can detect pricing and other information about a meal or beverage placed on the table. How do you differentiate meals and drinks? By placing a microchip in the base of a plate or cup? This would limit a specific cup to containing a specific drink, or for a specific plate to carry only a special entrée, which is very inefficient. How about creating removable microchips or chips that can be programmed on-the-fly by waiters or chefs? Would you need encryption codes that are changed on a daily basis to stop customers from reprogramming such chips? It gets very complicated very fast.

It would probably be easiest (cheapest) to reprogram the chips. If the waiter/waitress is reprogramming them, they price could be added to the customer's total right then, so there would be no chance of changes being made. Or we could make it even simpler and each chip holds a string of numbers which corresponds to an item (like a barcode). And they could encrypy those codes, so you would have to break the encryption and then figure out what code you need to change a 16 oz. steak into a coke..

I don't know why everyone thinks it's such a big deal that it doesn't have gigabit or wireless-n. It's not like support for those technologies can't be added by switching out a couple of chips. They probably just got whatever devices were easiest to work with / available when they wrote the software/built the hardware. Do you actually believe they'll leave those out when they release it next year?

>>By placing a microchip in the base of a plate or cup?

This doesn't actually sound all that infeasible. If you've ever heard of RFID technology, you know that it's extremely cheap and easy to power a microchip wirelessly, and get it to send information back. I'm reasonably sure that getting the chip to accept data written back to it is just a matter of research.

And when you consider how fast food restaurants, manufacturing etc.. where humans interact with c omputers work, you can see how easy it'd be.

For example, at mcdonald's, when the customer places the order, it gets sent to a screen in the back, at the end of a queue of completed and incomplete orders. The guy in the back can then make the order in a first come first serve basis. The computer is already involved in the process; to add an extension by which it can program small chips is just a matter of changing the setup slightly. THe only thing you have to do is make sure that the human sets the plate where they're supposed to when they're supposed to. That's actually relatively easy, as long as you make the system depend on the human doing the right thing(E.G. Sloppy habits can't persist; when they screw up it backs the whole system up, so they do it right from then on).

These human-work systems already exist. They're just adding to it slightly.

Now, as to whether I like working in an environment like that...

>>And they could encrypy those codes, so you would have to break the encryption and then figure out what code you need to change a 16 oz. steak into a coke.

They won't, because not everyone is going to lug a laptop to the table to reprogram their freaking meal. It'll be easy to crack, sure, but one thing that you have to get used to as a computer person is that in the world at large, people aren't like you. They don't think about security or how to pull the strings of their reality. They just want to eat and drink.

Several local businesses in my city are broadcasting credit card numbers unencrypted over open 802.11 networks. And in reality, as abhorrent as this behavior may be to us, it's probably not any more dangerous than handing your credit card to a waiter at a restaurant... The reason is that technology is a mystery to most people. Most people don't pull up in front of those places in a beat up pickup truck with a laptop worth more than their car to try and search for some interesting signals. Most people are too busy being standard stupid ass human douchebags.

You may reprogram your table's computer to get a cheaper meal. (I doubt they'll do it that way; it's too cumbersome. But I bet you anything that whatever they do eventually use will have just as many exploitation possibilities.) That doesn't change that you'll be one in a million. Not worth worrying about.

• 1 month later...
vista--> :)

Maybe in your opinion. For me its more like:

Vista: Great!

OS X: Great!

Heres a hypothetical situation demonstrating one reason why Windows is my personal favorite.

I have a modern Mac desktop that I bought in 2007. I want to upgrade my video card.

On a mac mini= impossible

iMac= impossible (that I know of correct me if I am wrong. Maybe its possible to upgrade through apple if you purchased the Radeon X1600 with 128mb vram.)

Mac Pro= I can only upgrade the video card to a card Apple offered to me when I purchased it. My Mac Pro choices are:

2 NVIDIA Geforce 7300 GT 256MB

3 NVIDIA Geforce 7300 GT 256MB

4 NVIDIA Geforce 7300 GT 256MB

ATI Radeon X9100XT 512MB

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB Stereo 3D

(Mind you the Mac Pro choices arent all that great. No 7900 GT or 8 series or HD2000 cards)

In the same situation I have a modern Windows desktop purchased in 2007. I want to upgrade the video card. I go to newegg.com buy whatever card I want, download the latest drivers and install the card.