Changing USER folders?

dsc106

12 posts in this topic

Is there a way to change OS X's default assignment of your User files? I would like to make my documents/movies/pictures folders to default to a different volume than my system volume, if possible

You can do that easily by modifying your user's "home" entry from your netinfo application (applications->utilities).

Here's a link with a short tutorial on how to customize a user: http://www.samspublishing.com/library/cont...um=182&rl=1

I have never tried this myself though because of rumors I've heard about some apps (specifically Microsoft Word. What a surprise, huh?) failing to work properly when files are not in the standard paths. I would recommend you try creating a whole new user from scratch and see how it works first.

Good luck,

hecker

It works with symlink.... in singleuser mode move user folder wherever you want and create symlink to it in original location...

just be sure to have the other drive or partition mounted on boot :(

OSX doesnt even notice you changed it... no problems...

When you reinstall just create symlink again in singleuser mode.

Yeah, the symlink thing works but you'll lose the pretty icons on the finder's left panel side. At least that's what happend when I tried it.

hecker

There is a way to assign any arbitrary icon to any folder in OS X, isn't there?

Sorry, OS X newb.

Oh god, don't mess with Terminal commands if there is a simpler solution (and there always is).

It's easier to create a documents/music/movies/{censored} folder elsewhere (not Library) AND THEN create the symbolic links to them in the home folder. It works and the system still doesn't care and you're not mucking in Terminals or single user modes.

WTF... what problems do you expect if you do it right?

I use same /Users folder for 2 installs... (both with symlink) it works 100% (one normal and one for testing install)

Even if osx fails to find your /users folder or user... it just creates new one with default settings :P

But you must know what you are doing... i agree on that :)

I have actually done this in the distant (10.3 on a Wallstreet) past. Things did not work very well, and from other posts I have read it does not sound like any improvement to relocation your home directory was made in 10.4. I would STRONGLY recommend you leave your home directory where it is.