How to make your unsupported Wireless USB stick to work!

suffwind

23 posts in this topic

I'm very grateful this forum exist. And after consuming a lot of great information from this forum, I happy to give back.

This tutorial will guide you on how to use your Wireless USB using Parallels as gateway. Which basically means, if you can't get your built in WiFi to work but you have a Wireless USB that works on other OS such as Windows or Linux, you could still get internet access!

Requirements:

1) Working Wireless USB

2) Parallels

3) Windows XP (of course other OS could work, but I'll cover XP for this tutorial)

Lets get to work

1) Download and install Parallels

2) Install Windows XP in Parallels.

3) Before or After installation, change Parallels networking type to Host-Only

4) Go to Parallels Desktop > Preferences > Network and uncheck 'Enable DHCP scope for host-only networking'

5) Go to OSX System preferences > Network. Show 'Built-in Ethernet'.

6) Change Configure IPv4 to Manually

7) Set IP Address to 192.168.0.5 (or anything within 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254)

8) Set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0

9) Set Router to 192.168.0.1

10) Start Windows XP in Parallels. Then connect you Wireless USB. Click on the USB icon on bottom right of Parallels window. Enable USB.

11) Windows will detect new hardware. Follow normal driver installation as usual. Connect to your Access Point as usual.

12) Go to Control Panel > Network Connections, view properties of your Wireless Network Connection. Click on Advanced and check 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection'. Click OK on whatever popup.

13) At this point just fire up Safari and start browsing.

The same concept applies to other OS. I'd suggest any Live CD Linux or run Windows with a lot of useless services disable to speedup performance.

Cheers!

Update: To do this with Linux and VMware Fusion click here

• Like 1

Damn needs to download the wireless driver but Puppy Linux v1.6.1 comes with all the necessary. Today I made several tests and I guess to make it up next days.

A few of screens I grabbed from it (UX91s, OSX 10.4.8, Parallels 3188, Puppy Linux 1.6.1):

screenshot22zm7.jpg

screenshot005tu2.jpg

Sherry Haibara:

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PC? Wow.. Never thought microsoft can be this smart!

But yeah, like you said. Very hard to find.

sev7en:

how's it going? I would really prefer linux as my gateway than XP.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

hey Gringo Vermelho!

it appears I didn't do my homework, this method won't work for me because my pc doesn't support hardware virtualization

I am runing mac os x 10.5.7 on top of voodoo kernel 9.7.0 using a biostar p4m800-m7 mother board

maybe next time, when I can upgrade my hardware

regards!

@Gringo Vermelho

I installed parallels 3 successfully, but can't run satisfactorily any os guest yet

tested slitaz (alternative to damn smal linux but with newest kernel) and windows fundamentals for legacy pc's on parallels but no luck, it doesn't have many options to allow fine tune, windows enter a infinitely loop trying to install againg and again after the first part of the instalation when the installer is copied to the hard disk

so I'm trying virtual box since I could make that stop showing an arror asking for Vt-x (by editing the xml setting for my virtual machine)

I'll report back if any succeed

thanks for your help...

apreciate that

Parallels 3 will ask you if you want to enable VT-x on each launch but even if you select no it will still work.

I don't know what your issue is. I used to run Windows XP Pro in Parallels 3 on my Pentium 4 Hackintosh running retail Leopard. No VT-x support on that and no issues installing or running Windows XP. Performance was pretty good too.

If you get it working in Virtual Box please do report back, I'm sure it will be useful to many.

• 3 years later...