Dual booting XP and OS X on two different drives

14 posts in this topic

I tried to search for this but came empty. I want to setup OS X and XP on two different drives, totally separated from each other, but with a boot manager that defaults to whichever I set it to after a couple of seconds or so. Can this be done with the Darwin boot manager? I just want something more simple than having to go to the BIOS setup every time I want to switch to XP.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
I tried to search for this but came empty. I want to setup OS X and XP on two different drives, totally separated from each other, but with a boot manager that defaults to whichever I set it to after a couple of seconds or so. Can this be done with the Darwin boot manager? I just want something more simple than having to go to the BIOS setup every time I want to switch to XP.

Thanks

I have the same problem... hope someone can help us...

this will make it sooooo much easier~!!

everything else works fine in the computer, both xp and OS X. I just need to find a way to make it easier than going into BIOS to change the BOOT drive.

THanks

ok will try this when i get home from the evil work!!

erm..... edit it how???? is it fairly obvious to a windows indoctrinated newbie!!!

if not

if you could possibly post step by step idiot instructions

i would be very greatful!!!

1) you need this app:

PlistEditor Pro

2) make a copy of:

com.apple.Boot.plist to your desktop ( located in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration )

3) open com.apple.Boot.plist from your desktop with PlistEditor Pro

in the left column add: Timeout (if doesn`t already exist)

in the right column add: 5 (or the seconds do you like the darwin bootloader will wait you to choose your startup HD)

4) Save and close.

5) Copy the original com.apple.Boot.plist ( located in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration ) to somewhere on your HD

6) Replace com.apple.Boot.plist ( located in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration ) with modified version.

7) REPAIR PERMISSIONS with DiskUtility (you have to do!!! )

8) Restart...

If this method doesn`t work, you also coud try Acronis OS Selector

ok, i tried it and it half worked!!

checked my bios and the mac's drive already is the primary disk ( i have my priorities right at least ..mac before win!!)

manged editing the plist (not tough!!)

saved etc and rebooted...

up pops darwin and

it offers only one option -_- the mac drive

is there anything else you could suggest???

(still greatful!! )

erm no i haven't tried grub....

i am a sad newbie and need intructions:-S

if you could post a 'how to' again i would be greatful!

ta