Realtek ALC 889A onboard sound

aqua-mac

54 posts in this topic

I need some serious help -- please help!

I'm building my first Hackintosh using the Lifehacker guide and the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P board. Everything went flawlessly except for audio: when I go to the Sys Preferences > Sound, no output or input devices appear in this list. Also I have 3 different hardware audio interfaces (2 are USB, 1 is Firewire) and none of them work either. After installing their drivers and restarting, they don't show up in the Sound control panel, nor in any other app.

I tried both solutions in this thread -- the HDAPatcher app along with the ALC889 text file, and the Terminal commands. The Terminal commands didn't work -- they gave me the error that it was a "read-only file system" and even after using sudo, it refused to move the files. So I don't know how to make it work.

If you have any ideas at all, or even a different guide to start from scratch, I would be most eternally grateful. I absolutely need audio up and running on this Hackintosh!

Works fine on my P55 board, but it took a while to figure out and required three files as per this post http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I'm new to making OS X work on an other than Mac system. My system specs are in my signature.

About my experience (skip if you don't care, but thought I'd share):

Anyways, I've managed to get 10.6.3 going on my system. Even have the screen resolution working at 2048x1152x32@60Hz. It took a ton of looking around and researching to get to this point. I like to give myself credit there. However, I have not gotten sound to work. I've tried patching my DSDT (I have learned how to acquire it myself, disassemble, edit, and reassemble) but all that has done for me is not needing to use EFI strings. Sadly, I am not a master of the Terminal program, pretty much just copy and paste what people write.

On the first page of this post is a way to install two kexts. It says to do it from Snow Leo install DVD. I actually have two installs of Snow Leo on two separate drives, so I just booted into the one I use for maintenance. When I do the chown command (I believe this resets permissions?), it says Operation not permitted about a billion times (kexts are a folderesque package I presume). Is this normal, or am I missing something? Obviously, I substituted the volume names to match. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Ok, so I figured out to put SUDO in front of the non-compliant commands. But rebooting into my main system, no joy.

Also, up to this point, I have only modified things manually as I'm trying to learn as much as possible. The only 'cheating' I have done (and really, quite significant) is using Empire EFI to get retail SL to install. I would prefer a solution that isn't "Download this, click install, reboot" as that really defeats my purpose. Keeping as close to an actual Mac experience is also a priority for me. Keep in mind, I have two actual Macs which I use regularly, this is just for fun.

Easy solution for Alc889a:

- download AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;hl=HDApatcher

- download ALC889Adump.txt

- unpack AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip

- drag and drop ALC889Adump.txt to AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 icon

- restart

- enjoy! :wacko:

PS work with Kalyway 10.5.1

this method did not work for me.

I run on this software:

Información del software de sistema:

Versión del sistema:	Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L30)
 Versión del kernel:	Darwin 9.5.0

I run on this hardware:

cpu: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GPMT - UD2H
Video onboard: Ati Radeon HD 4200
Audio onboard: Realtek ALC 889A
RAM: 4GB
Network Card: 8111c (chip 8196 / 8111)
Wireless Card: Wireless Ralink RT 2760 / RT 2720

any ideas?