What DON'T you do in OS X?

78 posts in this topic

Well, from the "what do you do in OS X?" thread, we can see that many people edit media, create documents, work, play, listen to music, and quite a bit more in OS X.

I'm wondering what everyone DOESN'T do in OS X. I still have my windows partition for phone flashing, games, and Alcohol 120%/PSP games.

What does everyone do in windows? many people here can't completely switch to OS X for one reason or the other. Why do you still touch windows from time to time?

1. DVD shrink and DVD decrypter to copy a movie.

2. Convert a downloaded Youtube video (.flv) to mpg or wmv.

3.Create an .iso file from an entire cd or dvd using MagicIso.

The only real reason I use Windows off and on is for building simple Java applets. Textpad has been a great tool for this. I've tried textmate, but unlike textpad i can't hit Ctrl+3 to just run the applet. Xcode is too big to bother with when building a simply applet.

If anyone thinks that they know of an app that could completely liberate me from Windows, I'd be very grateful. I've installed Ubuntu today so I can try Eclipse, is it any good?

Recording TV Shows.

The ONLY thing that my Hackintosh can't do is record TV using my Hauppage WinTV PVR-150. MythTV, as far as I can tell, can only be run as a frontend on OS X. If anyone has the knowledge to make my PVR-150 work with OS X, I would greatly appreciate it. Apparently there are drivers using IVTV, but they are for Linux. I'm not a programmer or Linux geek by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know the portability of those drivers.

Someone help me out! :blink:

Computer Aided Drafting (CAD)

Computer Aided Manufacturing/Machining (CAM)

Computer Aided Engineering (FEA, CAE, Thermal, Fluid, Structural etc)

Data Management

(There are Unix/Linux versions that run under X11, but it's easier to just use Windows)

I do nearly everything on Windows. I have GF4 Ti4200, along with a 2.26 Celeron. The PPC Drivers/Stubs for my card provide abysmal performance. OSX feels too laggy, compared to Windows. On a old game like Tropico, I get 4 FPS. 4 - Can you believe it?? With beamsync on - 2 FPS.

On my bro's AMD with 6600GT, OSX is perfect though. I may get a 6600GT soon too, then everything will be on Mac, including Gaming.

I still have to use Windows to:

- develop, test and deploy applications with VBA (Parallels is quite unstable on my hacintosh).

- run some copy protected software that refuses to start with parallels (not often though).

If I find a way of getting Office to work under Parallels without problems then I will finally be rid of win-garbage forever.

Cheers,

hecker

Whats wrong with Office, under Parallels? I have used Office 2007/2003 under Parallels. Works Perfect. Or just use Crossover to run Office 2003/XP.

Whats wrong with Office, under Parallels? I have used Office 2007/2003 under Parallels. Works Perfect. Or just use Crossover to run Office 2003/XP.
The problem is not Office 2003 per-se. It's the VBA IDE that fails to work properly. Every time I use it it will crash my virtual machine after about 10 minutes.

Crossover is not an option because it does not include many of the windows libraries that I need to work with VBA.

It's not so bad though. The stuff I do with VBA is 100% for business so it's actually nice to have all of that encapsulated into it's own OS. I'll keep trying newer versions of parallels, though. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until this issue is resolved.

Cheers,

hecker

The only real reason I use Windows off and on is for building simple Java applets. Textpad has been a great tool for this. I've tried textmate, but unlike textpad i can't hit Ctrl+3 to just run the applet. Xcode is too big to bother with when building a simply applet.

If anyone thinks that they know of an app that could completely liberate me from Windows, I'd be very grateful. I've installed Ubuntu today so I can try Eclipse, is it any good?

Ever tried BlueJ? - It's 2.69 MB, partially open source, free, and I like it :)

Also for me - mainly gaming, and some programming as required by University...

Recording TV Shows.

The ONLY thing that my Hackintosh can't do is record TV using my Hauppage WinTV PVR-150. MythTV, as far as I can tell, can only be run as a frontend on OS X. If anyone has the knowledge to make my PVR-150 work with OS X, I would greatly appreciate it. Apparently there are drivers using IVTV, but they are for Linux. I'm not a programmer or Linux geek by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know the portability of those drivers.

Someone help me out! :P

Record it over Firewire

1. DVD shrink and DVD decrypter to copy a movie.

I've used MacTheRipper and have only come across one problematic DVD with it (due to intentional disc flaws within the disc itself)

2. Convert a downloaded Youtube video (.flv) to mpg or wmv.

With the right plugins, QuickTime Pro will do it.

3.Create an .iso file from an entire cd or dvd using MagicIso.

There's a free app called Damage Isolation that will convert .dmg to .iso if you really want iso.

i don't get viruses.

but i am going to have a 50gb partition on my external after leopard comes out so i can play games i can't convert to os x

Use apps which have no counterpart on Mac (or that are just plain better on Windows), for playing games Windows still seems to be the best solution and finally burning apps like Alcohol - I can't figure any Mac app that is comparable to something like this. Then we have DVD Shrink and lots of other stuff that is mostly related to ripping/playing and P2P. Anyway, working under Windows gets me annoyed most of the time, I wish I just could completely stop working with it but I see no way in doing so if there are no good solutions/alternatives for the things I'm doing for Mac OS X, too.