• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

non sequitur

non sequitur

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
Well, from the "what do you do in OS X?" thread, we can see that many people edit media, create documents, work, play, listen to music, and quite a bit more in OS X.
I'm wondering what everyone DOESN'T do in OS X. I still have my windows partition for phone flashing, games, and Alcohol 120%/PSP games.
What does everyone do in windows? many people here can't completely switch to OS X for one reason or the other. Why do you still touch windows from time to time?

BlueAvenue

BlueAvenue

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Computers,Cats
1. DVD shrink and DVD decrypter to copy a movie.
2. Convert a downloaded Youtube video (.flv) to mpg or wmv.
3.Create an .iso file from an entire cd or dvd using MagicIso.

rollcage

rollcage

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
The only real reason I use Windows off and on is for building simple Java applets. Textpad has been a great tool for this. I've tried textmate, but unlike textpad i can't hit Ctrl+3 to just run the applet. Xcode is too big to bother with when building a simply applet.

If anyone thinks that they know of an app that could completely liberate me from Windows, I'd be very grateful. I've installed Ubuntu today so I can try Eclipse, is it any good?

ajkst1

ajkst1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Recording TV Shows.

The ONLY thing that my Hackintosh can't do is record TV using my Hauppage WinTV PVR-150. MythTV, as far as I can tell, can only be run as a frontend on OS X. If anyone has the knowledge to make my PVR-150 work with OS X, I would greatly appreciate it. Apparently there are drivers using IVTV, but they are for Linux. I'm not a programmer or Linux geek by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know the portability of those drivers.

Someone help me out! :blink:

Shimms

Shimms

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
.NET development in Visual Studio.

jgrimes80

jgrimes80

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Computer Aided Drafting (CAD)

Computer Aided Manufacturing/Machining (CAM)

Computer Aided Engineering (FEA, CAE, Thermal, Fluid, Structural etc)

Data Management

(There are Unix/Linux versions that run under X11, but it's easier to just use Windows)

EFI

EFI

Photoshop CS3 Elite

• Retired
  • 629 posts
play games.

U.C.

U.C.

The Leopard Roars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Interests:Everything Apple, Computers, Movies
I do nearly everything on Windows. I have GF4 Ti4200, along with a 2.26 Celeron. The PPC Drivers/Stubs for my card provide abysmal performance. OSX feels too laggy, compared to Windows. On a old game like Tropico, I get 4 FPS. 4 - Can you believe it?? With beamsync on - 2 FPS.

On my bro's AMD with 6600GT, OSX is perfect though. I may get a 6600GT soon too, then everything will be on Mac, including Gaming.

hecker

hecker

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts
I still have to use Windows to:
- develop, test and deploy applications with VBA (Parallels is quite unstable on my hacintosh).
- run some copy protected software that refuses to start with parallels (not often though).

If I find a way of getting Office to work under Parallels without problems then I will finally be rid of win-garbage forever.

Cheers,

hecker

U.C.

U.C.

The Leopard Roars

• Members
  • 2,080 posts
  • Interests:Everything Apple, Computers, Movies
Whats wrong with Office, under Parallels? I have used Office 2007/2003 under Parallels. Works Perfect. Or just use Crossover to run Office 2003/XP.

hecker

hecker

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • 2,669 posts

Whats wrong with Office, under Parallels? I have used Office 2007/2003 under Parallels. Works Perfect. Or just use Crossover to run Office 2003/XP.

The problem is not Office 2003 per-se. It's the VBA IDE that fails to work properly. Every time I use it it will crash my virtual machine after about 10 minutes.
Crossover is not an option because it does not include many of the windows libraries that I need to work with VBA.

It's not so bad though. The stuff I do with VBA is 100% for business so it's actually nice to have all of that encapsulated into it's own OS. I'll keep trying newer versions of parallels, though. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until this issue is resolved.

Cheers,

hecker

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
3d, and all enterprise level graphics apps

zupport

zupport

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
i do my monthly tax computation with win cause the win version is for free and a mac version with costs... sometime i will try it with parallels....

NeSuKuN

NeSuKuN

-Zealot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
Ragnarok Online T_T The rest of apps and games I use are available for mac I have a windows only for RO

mac.nub

mac.nub

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

The only real reason I use Windows off and on is for building simple Java applets. Textpad has been a great tool for this. I've tried textmate, but unlike textpad i can't hit Ctrl+3 to just run the applet. Xcode is too big to bother with when building a simply applet.

If anyone thinks that they know of an app that could completely liberate me from Windows, I'd be very grateful. I've installed Ubuntu today so I can try Eclipse, is it any good?

Ever tried BlueJ? - It's 2.69 MB, partially open source, free, and I like it :)

Also for me - mainly gaming, and some programming as required by University...

elviejo

elviejo

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Extracting subtitles from dvd to reauthor them.

P.S. Now doing it in Parallells. :)

Paranoid Marvin

Paranoid Marvin

Insanely Around Sometimes

• Members
  • 1,714 posts
Write programs for the Commodore 64 and play FPS games

mac-mini

mac-mini

1337 avatar made by Prawker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

ffmpegX :)

i dont play games on mac (GMA 950)

head

head

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
nothing. well - besides getting errors ;-)

ahh yeah, we had a server running winxp (now ubunto) doing our filesharing-stuff...

:)

A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose

Proud PPC User

• Members
  • 2,421 posts

Recording TV Shows.

The ONLY thing that my Hackintosh can't do is record TV using my Hauppage WinTV PVR-150. MythTV, as far as I can tell, can only be run as a frontend on OS X. If anyone has the knowledge to make my PVR-150 work with OS X, I would greatly appreciate it. Apparently there are drivers using IVTV, but they are for Linux. I'm not a programmer or Linux geek by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't know the portability of those drivers.

Someone help me out! :P

Record it over Firewire

1. DVD shrink and DVD decrypter to copy a movie.

I've used MacTheRipper and have only come across one problematic DVD with it (due to intentional disc flaws within the disc itself)

With the right plugins, QuickTime Pro will do it.

3.Create an .iso file from an entire cd or dvd using MagicIso.

There's a free app called Damage Isolation that will convert .dmg to .iso if you really want iso.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy