What's wrong with your 8F1111 installation?

domino

81 posts in this topic

Using SSE3 no NX/DX kernel

Only modification after install was adding Macgirl's AC97 kext

Safari crashes constantly (three times in the last half hour)

I noticed in the console it has many instances refering to an airport card, but i don't have a wireless network card.

"WirelessAirPortDeviceNameCopy(): no AirPort driver found"

I plan on looking into this later. This might be the cause of my instability.

Camino, PPC version, right?

The latest Camino Intel I could find was 1.0a1+ and Flash crashes it as usual.

Yes - I'm using the standard build from the mozilla site. I've had zero problems with Camino, and the speed of the PPC binary is just fine. I guess the best part is that I have Flash - which seems to be everywhere I go these days...

After deleting the airport kext files, safari has not crashed once. Now there is only one instance of "WirelessAirPortDeviceNameCopy(): no AirPort driver found" in my console where previously i would have seen at least 20. Odd behaviour after deleting the kext files (and kext cache).

Note: The first two screenshots don't represent what i saw when i took them.

1st:Forum & Threads bar was magenta, when in focus the highlighted drive in the finder window was also magenta

1st reboot:post-5259-1133733522_thumb.jpg

2nd: Now they appear purple

2nd reboot:post-5259-1133733542_thumb.jpg

3rd: Back to normal.

3rd reboot:post-5259-1133733560_thumb.jpg

EDIT: They look fine in my post, but this is how they appear in preview:

post-5259-1133733939.jpg

Edited by ghw9132

oooh, conspiracy theory:

This is my 2nd install. I browse maxxuss' site and Safari crashed. What if Apple coded safari to crash if you browse maxxuss site?

JaS, that PPF didnt work so great on my install. Get a kernel panic in vmw. I used the one in the wiki and it installed fine. I don't know about system stability yet. I've only been using this for 20min. now.

I can't get mine to crash. In fact 8f1111 is not only faster on my machine, but its more stable, and I don't get those annoying beachballs when i click too fast anymore. Sound and networking worked off the bat. The only thing I can't get working are my AppleIntelIntegrated graphics drivers. 1024x768 sucks.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I had no success w/ maxxuss's 8f1111 patcher. I had to use Jas'. What are the underlying differences between the ppf's?

Edited by mpeters13

im on 1111 P4 SSE3/NX, using the stock kernel, and only the TPM patch.

safari is way more stable, flash works.

certain things are tempormental tho:

toast 6.1, the 4th icon COPY, crashed whenever you clicked it...and now, mysteriously, it works again.

most Rosetta apps work perfectly and fast.

only major exception for me is Office 2004, all apps, won't even launch (1/w a bounce, then nothing.

Heres the log, Excel and Powerpoint are the same. Anyone know what this means?

Thread 0: Crashed (0xb7fffaac, 0xb8040768)

0x900b876c: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib : _setprogname + 0x7c

0x000023dc: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp : _main + 0x26c

0x000019cc: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp : + 0x14

0x00001870: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp : start.s + 0x3c

0x30010000: No symbol

i used the JaS patch for SSE3 cpu w/o NX, overall everything works, some of the ppc apps that didn't work in 10.4.1 runs in this build (ie Virtual ][, etc) I felt a bit slower than the old one, and it takes much more time to boot up. Oh yea, there's something wrong: iPhoto is gone! And Spotlight still crashes on me

Also, did anyone else notice the little triangle marker in the dock now always stays in pure black no matter you are running rosetta with the app or not.

Edited by YOLY

fyi

this problem solved:

0x000023dc: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp :

Word, excel, now work again.

I did a diff on /usr/libexec/oah/oah750(d) and sure enough, they were both different than what i originally applied!

i dont know what app causes this to happen.

very surpring...

especially considering that 99.9% of other rosetta apps still worked, outside of word, excel, ppt...

in any case, once i replaced them with their earlier versions, word runs again...

very strange...i wonder if anyone elses anti-tpm has changed over time

I don't know if this might relate toyour post. It's a clipfrom Maxxuss' site.

The SSE3->SSE2 Runtime Patcher works differently. All intercepted SSE3 instructions are directly replaced with more-or-less equivalent SSE2 instructions. The replacement is permanent! It is applied to the program code in memory as well as in the file on disk! The effect is that the patcher will silently patch all binaries that have SSE3 instructions until all are replaced. This cannot be made undone. The good thing is that this method gives you no performance penalty. The not-so good thing is, that it is responsible for some artefacts like QuickTime pixel errors during video playback and choppy sound.

- USB mouse not working when returning from ACPI S3 mode (ACPI S1 was the default so must change it in the BIOS), must unplug and replug it to make it work again; ps2 keyboard and mouse don't have the problem

- LineIn appears in sound section but is not working

- Global sound volume control doesn't have levels: it's on or off; applications sound volume (itunes, quicktime, etc.) is working ok

Everything else seems fine!!

Does anyone have a working VLC in 8f1111? I have tried multiple version 813-v2 and 924. Opens plays video and audio for about 3 sec then closes.

I am gonna revert back to 8f1099 till the bugs with the kernel are worked out.

Update: After the new Maxxuss 8F1111A patch VLC 0924 - Intel now works fine.

Edited by neztik

hey guys, I have an IBM Thinkpad T30 with Intel Pentium 4 M 1.8 Ghz

SSE2 with PAE, I used the 8F1111 DVD patched it with JAS's PPF, installation crashed a few times, but them went through. Now when I try to boot into the system, I always get a mac screen of death when the background appears at the boot. Anyone know what it could be?

all working well expect network controll panel always crashes

Same here, all working fine on an SSE3 p4 with Grantsdale board except that network control panel crashes. not a big deal as it will just use dhcp but would be nice if someone knew why :gathering:

FB1111 has te same problems as 1089, so it's probalby 10.4.3 specific.

Everything, except networkprefpane, works. But that's all.

Every second osx is completely paused. It looks like the graphics card (Ati 9600XT) isn't quite undertood, but it feels like a TPM lock...

Still have to find the solution. Till then it's 10.4.1 over here, which works perfect with a few tweaks (and usb sounds sticks).

AMD 2800+, SSE2 w PAE etc., MSI K8N Neo platinum/Nforce 3 250Gb

My Network Pref Pane always crashes and I have to use PPPoE to access my inet connection. So right now my 100MB FTTH inet connection is wasted. :poster_oops:

Any Ideas on fixing this?

I'm in a similar boat. The networking preference pane crashed when I try viewing it. Luckily, I'm using a cable internet connection through a router w/ dhcp so the issue doesn't kill me as hard. Perhaps you could configure your dsl modem to do the pppoe for you? Maybe the router? (Just as a workaround)

Dual Booting works. I can still boot into widnows using the Darwin Bootloader.

VLC works for me, however, when I try to get info on any mpgs, get info crashes. (i wanted to set vlc as the default app for those filetypes since quicktime more or less sucks right now for anything video related)

Sound and Ethernet work grand. Video however is another story. Like others its detecting 128mb of ram for my videocard (Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (0x25728086 -- haha as if..). What's more bizarre is that in 10.4.1, if I didn't have quartz extreme enabled, I couldn't view any pictures in preview. In 10.4.3 8f1111, I can view all kinds of documents in preview w/o quartz extreme. Then finally of course, I'm stuck at a res of 1024x768, but dont' really mind at this point. Exposé and a combo of active corners solves any issue in that branch.

Azureus has never worked, and at this point I don't care. The regular bit torrent works fine for me.

I find that spotlight is a bit unintelligent when it comes to which volumes it searches. You would think it would give priority to the main volume (Macintosh HD) especially over the Windows NTFS volume. A fix for that is either unmounting the windows drive, or opening a finder window for the volume that has the info i'm looking for and going nuts from there.

I finally got Safari to crash. (It crashes here.) Though, generally the os is now stable enough for a full day's work. It's so nice to have. Plus getting used to working at 1024x768 has made reconsider getting an ibook or 12" powerbook.

Edited by mpeters13

I used the method of converting the DVD install to iso, apply Jas patch only, then used daemon tools to mount it onto a drive and got VMware to point it to the drive that i created. (VMWare's internal iso mounting causes the kernel to panic)

The problem with my OSX86 is that the network pref pane crashes and the sys pref pane is unstable.... (any time it can crash) sound is very choppy....

one more very important note is that 2 processes always takes up at least 50% of my CPU power: mdsync and windowserver.

anyway to look at what the hell those 2 are doing??? they seem to be the cause of the lag in all our systems....

I used the method of converting the DVD install to iso, apply Jas patch only, then used daemon tools to mount it onto a drive and got VMware to point it to the drive that i created. (VMWare's internal iso mounting causes the kernel to panic)

The problem with my OSX86 is that the network pref pane crashes and the sys pref pane is unstable.... (any time it can crash) sound is very choppy....

one more very important note is that 2 processes always takes up at least 50% of my CPU power: mdsync and windowserver.

anyway to look at what the hell those 2 are doing??? they seem to be the cause of the lag in all our systems....

after some long uses of the 8f1111 build, i notice it is less stable than the older one

Here are the crashes i get where the OS freezes entirely, and i have to restart the computer:

1. Spotlight after 10 sec of searching

2. Some java applets in safari

3. Go into the "Favorites" folder in the windows drive

4. Plenty of random OS freezes after some period of use

Edited by YOLY

Another thing to add....

recently, i bought a bluetooth dongle for use with my phone....

i plugged it into my system and Mac OS X86 registers that i have bluetooth and the icon appears in the status area....

but when i try to configure it in system pref, the whole sys pref jus panics and hangs....

the bluetooth was not able to detect my phone which was placed like 10cm away from the dongle....(windows was able to do everything....)

maybe thats another area to look into for mac os x86.....

just discovered something new yesterday when i was moving around my furniture and i tried to use my laptop on batt.....

(jus to take note, i'm running 10.4.3 8F1111 on VMware on my winXP)

when i boot up my laptop using batt to winXP, then attempt start mac os X86 on VMware, it will cause a panic....

this panic never occurs when i'm running on AC power....

when i'm running on batt, windows reports my CPU speed to be 798mhz, but VMware measures it to be 938Mhz....

but when running on AC, windows reports my cpu speed to be 1860Mhz and vmware reports the same thing....

strangely enuf, when i plugged in my batt and removed the AC after booting up mac os X86, it can still function normally with no panics.....

i thing something is wrong here...... i've ran the test 10 times, and all 10 times produce the same kernel panic....... i'll get a screen shot and then i'll post it up....