What's wrong with your 8F1111 installation?

domino

81 posts in this topic

I guess i'll start first. This is a fresh install.

1. iTunes is very choppy when I listen to my music channels. My interent connection is stable at 170Kb/s.

2. Safari crashes, even Maxxuss site crashed Safari :(

3. Mozilla browsers crash often. Camino and DeerPark Intel versions. I have not tested the ported versions.

4. 1099 benchmrks were in the mid 80's. 1111 benchmarks are now at the upper 40's.

5. Pointer still leaves block trails when scrolling in a window or leaves blocks on the desktop.

I had only some locks.

Safari does not crashed even once.

Sound is broken, if I hear music it has a sec of sound a sec of silence all the time.

Benchmarks are almost the same, althoug with SSE2 with NX kernel of 8F1099 do better.

I would have to say that nothing is really wrong with my 1111 install.UT2004 demo plays nice at 1024x786 itunes plays nice and is fast snes emu and n64 emu play roms faster if not as fast as on my windows install.Hi def trailers from apple look great...this is the best build yet,dvds play great ...

My 8F1111 install is insanely fast, but my benchmarks dropped HORRIBLY low (if I turn off all OpenGL and graphical tests they jump back up). It's odd because everything in my 8F1111 install is blazingly fast (especially Rosetta), but my benchmarks from XBench are so low.

I'm in the same boat as DeathChill.

Other than that, everything is perfect so far. No crashes or anything, no erratic behaviour, sound works great, etc.

Now if they'd just fix the bloody Flash plugin.

I guess i'll start first. This is a fresh install.

1. iTunes is very choppy when I listen to my music channels. My interent connection is stable at 170Kb/s.

2. Safari crashes, even Maxxuss site crashed Safari :D

3. Mozilla browsers crash often. Camino and DeerPark Intel versions. I have not tested the ported versions.

4. 1099 benchmrks were in the mid 80's. 1111 benchmarks are now at the upper 40's.

5. Pointer still leaves block trails when scrolling in a window or leaves blocks on the desktop.

Hate to tell you, but the Maxxuss site crashes mine, too! And I'm running 10.4.3 on a G4 PowerMac! :)

as far as the choppy sound goes...

if you go into Audio Midi Setup, you can screw around with that and change the interval of the sound chops. make of that what you will. wish someone could make something of it!

tried to compile my own AppleAC97Audio.kext but kept getting one error no matter how much i monkeyed around. (i'll get around to reading the manual someday.)

(new news, just used the original audio kext i had laying about, it works, but the same breaks)

artifacts in quicktime, vlc has none. could ignore the quicktime problems as i find it attractively retro, kind of like vintage t.v. but the sound breaking up makes this version unusable to me.

the ONLY site that has crashed so far with Safari (so far) is the Maxxuss site.

spooky. :)

despite the lowering of xbench scores, the gui seems faster to me, and it was faster before. i don't really trust the xbench scores since i noticed my gma900 was beating the reference Nvidia Something x800'ish card.

i'm guessing that those without these problems are SSE3. who knows, perhaps this can be worked out by our Benefactor. on the other hand if SSE2 is done with, i certainly can't complain. this has been a blast!

Asrock 915gl p4 3.0 Northwood (therefore i am)

oooh, conspiracy theory:

This is my 2nd install. I browse maxxuss' site and Safari crashed. What if Apple coded safari to crash if you browse maxxuss site?

JaS, that PPF didnt work so great on my install. Get a kernel panic in vmw. I used the one in the wiki and it installed fine. I don't know about system stability yet. I've only been using this for 20min. now.

oooh, conspiracy theory:

This is my 2nd install. I browse maxxuss' site and Safari crashed. What if Apple coded safari to crash if you browse maxxuss site?

JaS, that PPF didnt work so great on my install. Get a kernel panic in vmw. I used the one in the wiki and it installed fine. I don't know about system stability yet. I've only been using this for 20min. now.

Sorry

Seems fine hardware-wise (my nVidia MX 420 still no driver though), xbench a little bit slower than 8f1099

Safari didn't crash the first time I browsed Maxxuss' website. However, after I did some preferences change, it crashes everytime when browsing Maxxuss' website, even after I switched it back to default setting.

Transmit 3 still doesn't work, which is one of the big reason I updated from 8f1099 because somebody told me it works under 8f1111.

Haven't tried many software yet, will report later

Okay, now this is with JaS' SSE2 patch and using Maxxuss test3c Kernel

- Sound still fades inand out bust faster this time

- System Prefernces crashes when you try to config the network setting

- Crash reporter crashes (doh) when System Preferences crashes

- Both USB mouse and keyboard no longer supported

- Mozilla browsers crash

Edited by domino

I have the same sound and usb issues with my inspiron 5100 p4 +sse2 +pae, also using jas sse2 ppf + test3b kernel, if you go to terminal and sudo dmesg you can see lots of audio errors when sound is playing:

OAudioStream[0x1c8b100]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (0,4054)->(1,4254).

IOAudioStream[0x1c8b100]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (1,4054)

(79)tfp: failed on 0

IOAudioStream[0x1c8b100]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (0,41a8)->(1,424e).

IOAudioStream[0x1c8b100]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (1,41a8)

My logitech cordless usb mouse has also stopped working.

rosetta works:

itunes is stable (but sound is very choppy)

firefox (powerpc) is stable, surfed for over a hour with multiple tabs, no problems at all.

deepark (intel) crashes

system locks up if left unattended (sleep mode i presume)

tried the other kernel (sse2 emulation), rosetta doesnt work, same problems with audio and usb.

Ya, i'm using all intel flavored Mozilla apps and they all crash. Looks like they need to be recompiled for 1111. I wonder if the rest up the PPC flavors crash. I'll try firefox PPC and see what comes out of that.

thanks

Canimo (PPC) froze the system, reboot needed. Firefox (PPC) as doc mentioned is stable. Of course it was very slow to launch but I can live with that over the crashes. The interesting part is, when you scroll the mouse, you don't get those blocks in the browser windows, unlike Safari and Camino (intel), and Opera (intel).

I'm not holding my breath on Macromedia plugins. And did I already mention the sound fading in and out? :)

I've only got a couple of complaints after JaS came through with his excellent ppf:

1) bf1111 still has some ati issues with mouse track tears

2) dvd player used to work in bf1099 - it doesn't work anymore - I get the dreaded green screen instead of video - though the audio portion still plays.

3) The overall system is a tad slower now - I'm hoping that Maxxuss will come up with a tweaked kernel to take care of that ;-)

Good Stuff:

1) No system crashes

2) No major app crashes (MS Office, Adobe CS2, Toast 6, Stuffit, etc.)

3) iTunes 6 works great

4) Azureas works well.

5) Camino 1.0b1 is VERY stable & flash works

6) Safari works - but seems to start slower

Overall, bf1111 looks like a sidegrade - some ok stuff, some broken stuff. I can't wait to see 10.4.4!

My feeling is that this is far more stable than 1099. Actually I am now working over 6 hours without a single reboot. By the way, so far (3 days) the "reboot" comand does work as expected: no more power offs.

- As reported, maxxuss site crashes my safari. It does not, though, on my g4-10.3.9

- Solved the itunes -50 error (this seems to be a problem for non-English setups).

- No flash.

- New bbedit 8.2.4 does not work. 8.2.3 does. (it is suppose both are unversal binaries)

- Chicken of the VNC opens, but do not let me connect. The java version of tight VNC works fine (over 4 hours of net connection with no errors)

- OSXVnc opens, allow conections but on the client side you do not see updates (tested from Linux, windows and mac).

- PPC applications that do nor open for me: Dreamweaver MX2004, DW 8. Toast 7 reports that "do not like Intel processors".

- PPC aplications that do open(just open an close): DW 2004, Excel, IE (working for over 3 hours. Fine. No flash either)

- Firefox 1.5, fine so far. No flash. (also tested for several hours).

The most important for me is stability. The system seems now "usable" for daily use. 1099 was not IMHO.

Installed on my Dell Latitude C640:

-It can't detect the batteries at all, always thinks it's on AC power

-Anytime anything tries to load OpenGL, it crashes out (if I disable ATIRadeon.kext, it doesn't crash)

-Safari doesn't crash

-iTunes plays music just fine (even over a shared library)

-I still don't have any USB support

-Dashboard seems to be MUCH faster

-Expose seems to be slower.

Edit: Nevermind, this is 8f1099. I will report back after trying 8f1111

I've only got a couple of complaints after JaS came through with his excellent ppf:

1) bf1111 still has some ati issues with mouse track tears

2) dvd player used to work in bf1099 - it doesn't work anymore - I get the dreaded green screen instead of video - though the audio portion still plays.

3) The overall system is a tad slower now - I'm hoping that Maxxuss will come up with a tweaked kernel to take care of that ;-)

Good Stuff:

1) No system crashes

2) No major app crashes (MS Office, Adobe CS2, Toast 6, Stuffit, etc.)

3) iTunes 6 works great

4) Azureas works well.

5) Camino 1.0b1 is VERY stable & flash works

6) Safari works - but seems to start slower

Overall, bf1111 looks like a sidegrade - some ok stuff, some broken stuff. I can't wait to see 10.4.4!

Camino, PPC version, right?

The latest Camino Intel I could find was 1.0a1+ and Flash crashes it as usual.

My System:

-Intel P4 Prescott 2.8 @ 3.62GHz (No HT, SSE3, No NX)

-MSI 865PE Neo2 Platnum

-Powercolor ATi Radeon 9600 PRO (256MB)

-2x 200GB WD SATA HDD

-1x 10GB Seagate IDE HDD

-Onboard Audio \ Gigabit NIC

-Standard Firewire Card

Performance:

- Over 10.4.1 this KILLS it!

Applications:

-Stuffit Expander 10 (PPC)

-VLC (UB)

-Office 2004 (PPC)

-Macromedia Sudio 8 (PPC)

-Firefox 1.5 (PPC)

-Fetch (PCC)

-Photoshop CS2 (PPC)

-ImageReady CS2 (PPC)

Glitches:

-NONE ANYMORE!! fixed my device ID in ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin and little mouse artifacting has gone,

also applied 8F1111A patch, could not be any better atm :)

Edited by damnet