Presario C500 Laptops & Wireless Networking

arshmenarnar

34 posts in this topic

I have same problem on my Fujitsu-Siemens S7110. I installed a BCM4311 but it just isn't detected no matter what I try.

If this is an issue with the card not being powered up, would it be possible to just jumper a +3.3V wire (or whatever miniPCI Express uses) straight to the miniPCI Express bus connector so the car is always powered up?

Cheers

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Laptop Compaq Presario V5101US with internal broadcom wireless card.

Your Compaq C500 (C551NR) should have the same...

I have made my internal broadcom wireless card to work !

Follow these steps:

1) You can find out your device id by typing the following command:

ioreg -l | grep IOPCI | grep pci14e4

(it's easier if you copy/paste the above line into terminal)

2) To configure the Broadcom adapter the following changes need to be made:

Open terminal and type the following commands:

sudo sh(Enter your password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions

cd IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBr cm4311.kext/Contents

nano -w Info.plist

3) Scroll down until you find a section called array. You will want to add a string line with the following details:

pci14e4,4318 (the value after the comma is the device id and will change depending on which Broadcom adapter you install)

4) Press Control-X, Y and Enter to save the file.

5) We must force an update to the kextache and the simplest way to do this is to type this command:

touch /System/Library/Extensions

6) Reboot to activate the driver.

After reboot, you should see the white baseball diamond next to your clock.

7) Now open again terminal and type the following command:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkIn terfaces.plist

8) You want to edit these lines:

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string> (Change the en0 to en1)

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer> (Change the 0 to 1)

If they are already set to en1 and 1, then that's not your problem and I don't know how to help you.. But for me, then when I rebooted, I was able to configure AirPort in a snap.

Let me know...

Credits to:

Persistente and DrJohn ( Insanely MacForum )

My laptop configuration:

Compaq Presario V5101US

RAM: 1.00 GB

XP Home

OSx - JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2/3 with PPF1 Install DVD

CPU: AMD Sempron 3.3Ghz

Graphics: ATI x200m 1280x800 Working without Quartz Extreme or Core Imaging

Ethernet: Realtek 8139 Working directly from Install

Audio: Conexant AC97 - Working directly from Install - Issue with the mute button (it activates itself randomly)

Wireless: Broadcom 4138 Working

Modem: Not working

Trackpad: Working directly from install

Keyboard: Working directly from install

Battery Indicator: Working

Power Management: Working

Sleep Mode: Not Working - If I close the screen it just turn off the screen; no sleep mode

Nagual,

The problem is not that simply fixed. The problem that Beakster and many others of us are having is not a problem with the card itself. Rather it is a problem with the mini PCI Express port. You are not suffering from the same issue because the V5101 uses a mini-PCI not a mini-PCI Express slot.

Nagual,

The problem is not that simply fixed. The problem that Beakster and many others of us are having is not a problem with the card itself. Rather it is a problem with the mini PCI Express port. You are not suffering from the same issue because the V5101 uses a mini-PCI not a mini-PCI Express slot.

Sorry to hear that... hope you will be able to sort things out !

All the best! :unsure:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally managed to successfully install OSX86 on my C504US laptop, but like most of you, my wifi and sound are not working. I used the macdotnubv 10.4.10 v1r5 disk, and it is awesome! I tried several other OSX86 DVDs with no luck, including JAS and UPHUCK 10.4.9 v1.4 r3. I can't stand the majority of these winy forum divas that refuse to help when you have a normal question! I think OSX86 is a great idea, but let's be honest here, the main reason most of us want it on our machines is because we don't want to purchase Macs; not because we're intrigued by coding... If I could go out and buy an OSX DVD for my laptop for $200, I would... but until that's possible, I'm stuck being Jumping Jack Flash here!

I think we should try and keep this topic alive, and as down-to-earth as possible.

So, my question is: what is the "skippy retard azalia audio kext" that got the initial poster's soundcard fixed? I'm seriously ready to ditch my external sound card, except for when I create music.

Viva!

• 2 months later...
I finally managed to successfully install OSX86 on my C504US laptop, but like most of you, my wifi and sound are not working. I used the macdotnubv 10.4.10 v1r5 disk, and it is awesome! I tried several other OSX86 DVDs with no luck, including JAS and UPHUCK 10.4.9 v1.4 r3. I can't stand the majority of these winy forum divas that refuse to help when you have a normal question! I think OSX86 is a great idea, but let's be honest here, the main reason most of us want it on our machines is because we don't want to purchase Macs; not because we're intrigued by coding... If I could go out and buy an OSX DVD for my laptop for $200, I would... but until that's possible, I'm stuck being Jumping Jack Flash here!

I think we should try and keep this topic alive, and as down-to-earth as possible.

So, my question is: what is the "skippy retard azalia audio kext" that got the initial poster's soundcard fixed? I'm seriously ready to ditch my external sound card, except for when I create music.

Viva!

here's the link to Skippy the Retard's azalia audio kext

this is so stupid....... I ve tried everthing on this planet to get my bcm4311 card to work, and nothing happens. I booted into windows, rebooted into OSX, and still not recognized. Ive tried that patch (sudo bcm.sh or something like that) and nothing happend. Ive tried that stuped en0->en1 trick which is USELESS. is there no hope for this card/bus? this is so annoying. Thats the only thing holding me back from a fully operational OSX system is that damed card. I hope there is something we can do. (P.S. I have a Compaq Presario C571NR)

oh, i found something on the net, but I doubt it would work. check the link below

http://www.pantown.com/board.php?id=10103&...amp;action=view

• 1 year later...

I'm guessing no one has found a work around for this other than a USB Wifi Card! Shame because the laptop works great with OSX. I installed iATKOS 10.5.7 and the laptop is pretty much fully functional with the exception of the Wifi and USB is only 1.1, other than that everything else work perfectly.

I'm might just shop around for a USB Wifi Card?

BTW: Has anyone ever tried replacing the built in Wifi card with another brand?