Apples worst idea - drop the Mac Mini

86 posts in this topic

Gotta agree with you there Knuckles. Except I don't think Apple's concerned about the Hackintosh scene. In fact, judging from this forum, we're quite good marketing for them!

If they made the mini $499 (or below!) with a 965 board and the new cheap processors from intel like the e4300 or the e2000 range. That would be sweet.

Or, like macgirl said, the return of the cube! It's got a 3.5" Hdd, right? So there's you're mid-tower, in all it's apple glory.

Actually saw someone who did a cube/mac mini hybrid like that. It struck me as the perfect computer

The last time I tried using a Mini was in an Apple store before the Intel transition. Honestly, my first impression was "wow, this is a slow little piece of {censored}." I don't know if they've honestly improved performance since then, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're still unbearably weak. I don't know anybody who uses one for normal computing purposes. As a computer, it sucked, and as a media center, Apple TV outshines it.

I use a Mac Mini as my everyday computer. I used to have a hackintosh first, but I got rid of it because it was LOUD. Then I had an iMac CoreDuo. I got rid of it because of the bulk. The Mini is fast enough for my purposes, almost as fast as the iMac I used to have, and quicker in some areas to my hackintosh. Do I want a faster machine? Yes. Do I need it? No. The only way to have a fast, silent machine now is to buy a Core2Duo Macbook Pro, and I don't need another laptop.

If you can tell me of a way to have a quicker, silent computer (hackintosh or other) that is not a laptop or an iMac, then I'm all ears.

I want a Mac Mini with Core2Duo processor and a way to have dual displays connected.

I think it is an error to get rid of this wonderful line.

GB

I don't think cubes are a very good idea from an engineering stance. Look at the Mac Cube and even Nintendo GameCube. Both of them were sort of flagged as the "black sheep" of the Apple and gaming families.

I'd still love a Mac that's sub-$1,000 without any built-in screen like the iMac. I have a perfectly fine widescreen monitor and it wouldn't make any sense to pay for the lower-end iMac and pay for a smaller screen in the end. They definitely do need a low-cost line of Macs, but I think the Minis were a little on the extreme side. It shouldn't be all (iMac) or nothing (Mini.)

I suppose the biggest problem I forsee with a midrange Apple desktop is that it would fit sort of an odd niche between the iMac/Mac Mini and Mac Pro and could likely pose a threat to both ends of the range. The more I think about it the less likely a mid-tower form factor system seems. If we see a more expandable sub-$1000 desktop it'll be in a cube type form factor, and chances are all but the base model will be over $1000.

Gotta agree with you there Knuckles. Except I don't think Apple's concerned about the Hackintosh scene. In fact, judging from this forum, we're quite good marketing for them!

:lol:

Very true. And I believe we are more than that. We are an invaluable workshop.

In order to get the free info they get from the hackintosh scene, they'd need to invest a fortune.

Come on Apple, the R&D has been done for you:

http://geektechnique.org/blog/64/g5-cube

110.jpg

111.jpg

Take that design and mass produce it so we can get on with our lives :rolleyes:

Wow!!!

The last time I tried using a Mini was in an Apple store before the Intel transition. Honestly, my first impression was "wow, this is a slow little piece of {censored}." I don't know if they've honestly improved performance since then, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're still unbearably weak. I don't know anybody who uses one for normal computing purposes. As a computer, it sucked, and as a media center, Apple TV outshines it.

You are out of your frame of reference (Donny). You tested an early version of the Mac Mini with either a 1.33ghz or 1.42ghz PPC processor and most likely 256mb of ram. I am sure it was pretty sluggish. The Intel Mac Mini is a completely different animal. Six months ago I got a brand new 1.83ghz Mini with a superdrive, airport, and bluetooth for $610 delivered, not from the Apple store of course. Would I have paid $799, not likely, and that was six months ago, Apple absolutely needs to change the price points on the Minis or offer a significant upgrade for the prices they are asking. However, is the Intel mini unbearably slow? NO. Can it be used for normal computing purposes? YES. Can it be used for professional audio recording? YES. It is not unbearably weak especially if it has more than a gig of ram. The only area it would be weak in is graphics intensive operations, which if you are doing the Mini is not for you. After I upgraded to a gig of ram my mini scored a 120 on Xbench, the old minis were lucky to get 50. Thats a huge performance increase. So next time before you make a sweeping generalization I suggest you personally research or try out what it is you are referencing.

If Apple would replace the MacMini against an official OSx86 I wouldn't complain...

To this cube-case... I really like the Mac design at all, but this thing has no Apple-style slim and elegant design, it's just clumsy. Remembers me on the Amiga Walker, this thing also wasn't realized... fortunately.

walker.jpg

Well this isn't a surprise for me. I mean the Mac Mini is nice, but always seems to be falling behind somewhere. From the 256 meg models, to the next Powerpc models with to few usb ports and no audio input. Then onto Intel, you have he Solo and the Duo, then two different duos and STILL no ram upgrade. *shakes head* I had a 1.25 G4 with 512 ram, but it is a model that is so good in some areas, but lacking in others. I don't hate the Mac Mini at all, but if Apple ade it a model that was up to date, then it would not be on the chopping block (hypothetically till official).

A small tower like in the image is needed with 2 things:

• Upgradable Ram
  • PCI Ex Slot

Then you could have a nice Apple that is upgradable and can grow, but not kill your pocket. I hope that IF the Mini is gone and small tower comes.

Nooooooooooooooo. It makes such a sweet HTPC and is used in so many Car Mods. It is one the most useful machines ever made.

Well then youy can just build your own, faster mac mini look-a-like with OSX86... cheaper too.

Guest pcharles25

there is going to be a (one quad core)(with hyper-threading) Mac Cube... you can bet your under-shorts!

post-15936-1180239287_thumb.png

post-15936-1180239295_thumb.png

post-15936-1180239302.png

Apple needs to come out with a middle of the road, non-screen included computer. Something for 700-800. Something that people can easily upgrade RAM, HD, stuff like that. PC people love to know that they "can" upgrade. Most never do, but its that mind set. When i look at the iMacs and see that everything is crammed into that box with the screen I can understand why people get turned away. The "what is something goes wrong" comes in to play.

Well this isn't a surprise for me. I mean the Mac Mini is nice, but always seems to be falling behind somewhere. From the 256 meg models, to the next Powerpc models with to few usb ports and no audio input. Then onto Intel, you have he Solo and the Duo, then two different duos and STILL no ram upgrade. *shakes head* I had a 1.25 G4 with 512 ram, but it is a model that is so good in some areas, but lacking in others. I don't hate the Mac Mini at all, but if Apple ade it a model that was up to date, then it would not be on the chopping block (hypothetically till official).

A small tower like in the image is needed with 2 things:

• Upgradable Ram
  • PCI Ex Slot

Then you could have a nice Apple that is upgradable and can grow, but not kill your pocket. I hope that IF the Mini is gone and small tower comes.

they both have upgradable RAM and the PPCs had standard 256mb and the intels have 512MB

But only buying a Mac Mini just because its an Mac Mini isn't worth it. A nice AMD-Asus-ATI Hackintosh-System with 2 GB RAM, 800GB HD, DVD-Burner and more costs less than 700 Euro, Case, Keyboard/Mouse and a good PSU included. I don't think it wouldn't be possible to get an original Apple computer with this equipment for this little money.

A nice AMD-Asus-ATI Hackintosh-System with 2 GB RAM, 800GB HD, DVD-Burner and more costs less than 700 Euro, Case, Keyboard/Mouse and a good PSU included.

Give me some of what you're smoking :P Show us where you can buy an aftermarket case the size if the mini. Oh wait, I guess that's why they called it the MINI :rolleyes:

The point isn't to whip up a cheap-o computer. Anyone can do that. The point is to do it like Apple did (either in a mini case or a cube style case). They need to either update the mini, or replace it with the cube style that was shown on the previous page. I'm betting that Apple does one or the other when Leopard comes out. Whichever one it is I'll be buying it :thumbsup_anim: