[How-To] Dell Inspiron B130 Guide

45 posts in this topic

Thanks for all your help guys.... one more Q - when I'm in the installer it won't show devices to install on. No HDD showing up. Having I partitioned it wrong? I left space on my HDD as unused space, or whatever it's called, but to no avail.... what do I do? I'm sure it's something simple...

• 2 weeks later...

Right, got os x installed but couldn't connect on the net no matter what. Did the how find the device no. tutorial above, but there was no DEV. Here's what I have: Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54 Mbps USB 2.0 Network adaptor. In the harware ID it says: USB\VID_0BDA&REV_0100. Found the driver on the realtek site but still no avail....

Nice work, indeed, microsoft whiz! Thank you very much - everything seem to be working for me!

But did someone try to update OSX on dell inspiron 1300? Even to 10.4.9?

I've tried to update three of four times, mainly refering to this . Used slightly different method each time. It doesn't work anyway! Blue screen just hangs...

I can't understand what {censored} goes wrong.

And what about PC-EFI? Does it work with SSE2 CPUs???

Thanks for your replies.

• 2 months later...
Has anyone managed to get Leopard on a B130?

Good question! I'm thinking of buying one if it's cut and dry, to throw 10.5.3 JaS on when they're finished with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
does anyone have the files for this guide? i have a Dell B130 and would like to get OSX Tiger JAS running smoothly

I'm wondering the same thing as well. None of the links seem to be working anymore. If anyone can direct me to a place where they are, I'd be greatly appreciative

_Miles

well fellas - i have totally gotten 10.4.8 up and running with little to no hassle - the pain is in updating...... ........ ........ im working on getting @ least 10.5 base installed and then hopefully I can combo up 2 10.5.3 w/o briking my system again (poor thing, shes been thru soooo much) Hell, im on fedora 9 writing this - earlier 2 day on freeBSD. I JUST WANT SOMETHING STABLE lol....but dont we all....dont we alll

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i have a inspiron 1300 which is i think the same as the b130. i manged to install ideneb v1.3 10.5.5. video, sound, wifi, ethernet, working but you have to do some patching.

could you tell - how to fix blue screen?

I'm using paper clip but still getting onl bue screen after install with iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5

• 2 months later...

In regards to the first paperclip trick, what is it? I'm kinda new here, and have never heard of that before.

EDIT: So basically, to avoid having to use the dongle, don't install the GMA kexts when you do the initial install. While this prevents you from having all the cool features like having Quartz Extreme enabled, it at least allows you to boot to your desktop without an external monitor or dongle.

• 4 weeks later...

it seems that attached image is no longer available on the hosting

can someone attach here what was the first trick with the paperclip ?

getting the same result in installing iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5

blue screen after rebooting

seems that i need to do some paperclip work on VGA output ...

any suggestions ?

Running iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Final on an Inspiron 1300. Video (Intel GMA900) works fine. The only thing I can't get to work is the sound, Sigmatel 9200. Selecting it in the installer doesn't do anything. Using the HDApatcher regardless of version or the various codec dumps results in a kernel panic. Same thing with iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6.

Running iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Final on an Inspiron 1300. Video (Intel GMA900) works fine. The only thing I can't get to work is the sound, Sigmatel 9200. Selecting it in the installer doesn't do anything. Using the HDApatcher regardless of version or the various codec dumps results in a kernel panic. Same thing with iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6.

install using (stage xnu kernel), dont use the voodoo kernel 9.5.0. Download the dell laptops post installer made by sonotone http://www.mediafire.com/?dj52kuyhjwj open the installer under sound install first the sigmatel 9205 when succesfully installed close the installer but dont restart open the installer again now install sigmatel 9200 when succesfully installed repair permission then reboot. this works on my inspiron 1300 mute, headphone, mic works.i dont know why it wont work if you install directly with sigmatel 9200 i just found this myself. in the post installer you can also install lid sleep under power management. you can also install the trackpad scrolling but the trackpad will become very sensitive. the only thing wont work for me now is ical and chess it crashes. give it a try...

inspiron 1300 pentium m 1.8

ideneb 1.4 10.5.6

stage xnu kernel 9.4.0

install using (stage xnu kernel), dont use the voodoo kernel 9.5.0. Download the dell laptops post installer made by sonotone http://www.mediafire.com/?dj52kuyhjwj open the installer under sound install first the sigmatel 9205 when succesfully installed close the installer but dont restart open the installer again now install sigmatel 9200 when succesfully installed repair permission then reboot. this works on my inspiron 1300 mute, headphone, mic works.i dont know why it wont work if you install directly with sigmatel 9200 i just found this myself. in the post installer you can also install lid sleep under power management. you can also install the trackpad scrolling but the trackpad will become very sensitive. the only thing wont work for me now is ical and chess it crashes. give it a try...

ideneb 1.4 10.5.6

stage xnu kernel 9.4.0

I reinstalled, chose 9.4.0 StageXNU Universal Kernel.

It wasn't a problem with the voodoo kernel but is it normal for the GUI to be slow and sluggish?

I still couldn't make it work. I ran the Dell Laptop Post installer. Chose 9205. Ran it again chose 9200. Repaired permissions and restarted. Nothing. I even repeated the procedure again and nothing.

Here's the options I chose during setup:

iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System

9.4.0 StageXNU Universal Kernel

Intel GMA900

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA

AppleBCM440XEthernet

Patched USB Drivers

PowerManagement Package

VoodooPower

Clamshell Display Support

ACPI Fix

Dual Boot Time Sync

IOPCIFamily.kext patched

Finder 10.5.5 + Keyboard.prefPane

Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5

PS/2 Keyboard Fix

Patch DSDT

AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 MacBook DDR2

I'll try a minimal install next time to see if it works, if not then I'll try ideneb again. Can you post what options you picked in your installation? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

ideneb 1.4 10.5.6

stage xnu kernel 9.4.0

Thank you, I was able to get my sound working on my inspiron b120 using your method.

• 1 month later...

Exactly what happened to me, I don't think the sound will ever work unless someone knowledgeable helps us... And it's almost perfect (besides the dongle trick, but it's nothing if you use thick staples and bend it to an 'wide open sitting position' figure)

someone use your skills and help us code a sound driver. lol i wanna give this laptop to a friend.

• 5 months later...
Exactly what happened to me, I don't think the sound will ever work unless someone knowledgeable helps us... And it's almost perfect (besides the dongle trick, but it's nothing if you use thick staples and bend it to an 'wide open sitting position' figure)

someone use your skills and help us code a sound driver. lol i wanna give this laptop to a friend.

I have a b130 running 10.5.8 - and I'm using the VoodooHDA from here: http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/index.php/...-on-your-eeemac

Only problem is after "sleeping" the sound isn't very good.

Has anyone installed Snow Leopard on their b130 yet?