[How-To] Dell Inspiron B130 Guide

45 posts in this topic

The Mission:

Get Everything To Work On A Dell Inspirion B130 Including: Video (Dongle, No Fix Yet), Ethernet, Audio, Wireless, Get iTunes To Authorize, And Setup Standalone Apple TV App.

Notes:

- Please Make Sure To Do All Dongle Tricks

-To Download An Item That is Needed Just Click The Link Given (The Links Will Be In A Different Font: Comic Snas MS)

Part 1: The Install

(Following JaS 10.4.8 AMD, Intel SSE2 And SSE3)

You Need To Select The Following During Install Customize:

-JaS Intel 10.4.8 ATA kexts included

--Under Support For Most Common Hardware:

-10.4.8 GMA900 Support

-10.4.8 GMA950 Support

-10.4.4 Loginwindow Intel Only

-Laptop PowerManagement Bundle

Than Click Install, (You Can Skip DVD Check)

Part 2: 1st Boot

(This Is For The 1st Boot Only!)

Now Berfore You Turn On Your Computer After The Install You Must Do A VGA Dongle Trick On The VGA Port.

Connect The Following:

Note: Dongle Is Made From Paperclip

cimg05567zo.jpg

And No That Is Not A Dell, That Is The Correct Dongle Though

Now Answer The Question And Then Once Done Reboot Your Computer.

Part 3: New VGA Dongle

(This MUST Be Done Before Turing The Computer Back On)

-Now You Can Remove The Other Paperclip Dongle And Insert This One:

Note: Dongle Is Made From A Paperclip

post-53077-1160846022.gif

Part 4: 2nd Boot

(This Will Be The 2nd Time Booting Into Mac)

-Now You Shoud Be Able To Boot To Your Desktop

We Will Fix The Computer In The Following Order:

-Airport

-Video

-Ethernet

-iTunes Authorization

-Audio

(We Will Do Airport 1st So You Can Download The Files Need For Other Parts of Fixing Straight From The Mac)

Part 5: Airport

(Thanks To EuroFreakyMac For The Guide)

1. Open Terminal, Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

type this -> sudo su

3: then this -> cd /System/Library/Extensions

4: then ->cd /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/

5: then: nano -w Info.plist

6: Ok then scroll down until you see:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci14e4,4328</string>

<string>pci14e4,4329</string>

<string>pci14e4,432a</string>

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4313</string>

<string>pci14e4,4319</string>

<string>pci14e4,431a</string>

7: before <string>pci14e4,4319</string> add this: <string>pci14e4,4318</string> (change the 4318 to your ID, Mines is 4318 because i have Dell Wireless 1370)

8: then Control X, then Y then hit Enter

9: then Do: sudo reboot

10: then you should see a Blank Baseball Feild Icon (airport icon) on the finder bar

11: Open up Terminal then type -> sudo su

12: Then -> cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

13: Then -> nano -w /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

14: You should See this

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

15: change that to this:

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

16: then Ctrl-X -> Y -> Enter

17: Then: sudo reboot

18: After Reboot, Click the Airport Icon on the finder bar and click 'Network Preferences' It'll Say

Has Found the following Port

'Airport'

19: Click Ok then click the drop down box that has Show: next to it then click 'Airport' then click Apply Now and then, Click the Airport icon then select your Network and then Your Done

Part 5: Video

This Is The Easiest Thing To Do In This Guide

1. Download The Following: DiaboliK.GMA900.Fixer.pkg.zip

Thats It Now Reboot. (Dont Remove Dongle)

Part 6: Ethernet

Step 1: Download IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip From 10.4.3

Step 2: Unzip The File And Put It In: /System/Library/Extensions

Step 3: Open Up Terminal

Type: sudo -s

Than: cd /System/Library/Extensions

Than: chown -R root:wheel *.kext

Than: kextload -t IONetworkingFamily.kext

Last: sudo reboot

Part 7: iTunes Authorization

(Thanks To Galavoxx For The Guide)

1. Navigate To Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

2. Open NetworkInterfaces.plist In Textedit

3. Make Sure The Wireless Card Is Set To en1 And Ethernet Set To en0

(Currently (Before Editing) Wireless Should Be en1 and Ethernet en2)

4. Save To Desktop, Be Sure It Has The .plist Extenstion.

5. Drag It Back Into The Folder (Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration)

Thats It Now iTunes Will Authorize!

Part 8: Audio

This Ia Also Very Easy:

1. Download: AppleHDAPatcher_v1.11.zip

2. Download: Stac9200.txt

3. drop Stac9200.txt (the codec output from Linux) on the app.

And You're Done!

The Result:

We Now Have A Fully Working iHack!

With A Few Exceptions:

-You Must Use The Dongle To get To The Desktop

-The Screen Wont Turn Back On From Sleep, Download Insomnia.kext.zip

To Make The Computer Not Go To Sleep Upon Lid Close

-CD Burning Not Working

-If Anyone Has A Working Solution For The Dongle Trick Please Post It.

And Now You're Free Sig Image:

post-99676-1179882066_thumb.png

link to image: http://forum.insanelymac.com/uploads/month...82066_thumb.png

Scott S.

*Edit*

CD BURNER (Wiki)

* CD-R/DVD-R

Use patchburn 4.0.2 to activate it.

as it says in wiki, i think you'll find that the dvd/cd re-writer will work when you use patchburn 4.0.2 to activate it. It worked fine for me and now i can burn cd's as well as dvd's :(

heres a screenshot of the drive in system profiler

cd.tiff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks so much for this guide - it really made my installation easy.

One step I found I was able to skip was the first dongle (pins 1-6 and 2-12) - my B130 worked fine from start to finish with only the pin-6-to-pin-12 dongle described in part 3.

To save a few steps for others with the Dell 1370 Wireless card, I've attached two pre-patched files:

IO80211Family.kext.zip

NetworkInterfaces.plist.zip

To install:

1. Unzip both files

2. Replace your current IO80211Family.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ with this patched IO80211Family.kext

3. Move NetworkInterfaces.plist to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

4. Repair disk permissions using Disk Utility

Thanks again, microsoft whiz

IO80211Family.kext.zip

NetworkInterfaces.plist.zip

First, a big thanks - your post made me realize this is even possible on the B130... the fact that everything worked for you is fantastic news.

I don't expect that all of your steps will directly apply to me, as I got 10.3.9 installed via the Uphuck 1.4i DVD. I'm not really sure what's different though...

It seemed better to start with a newer image than try the one you did. Is this assumption valid?

Using the 1-pin paperclip short on the external VGA port (still needed for me), I boot in under a minute. Helps that I just installed a 160GB perpendicular HD, and 1.2 GB RAM. Video performance is smooth.

(I used to have an ibook 660MHz 512MB and 10.2... so I can appreciate the performance difference!)

Networking is broken badly though... I can get the Airport icon using your Airport plist PCI entry tip... but if I invoke Network Preferences, the preferences applet CRASHES. This was true before I read your post - nothing to do with your steps. It probably goes back to some choice I made during the uphuck 1.4i install (or it's a problem in uphuck.. I dunno).

It's been 2 months since your post... do you still suggest the JAS 10.4.8 installer?

Worst case I can try it, then attempt to manually upgrade, but I don't know what I'm doing here (I should add that I'm completely comfortable in UNIX and have been so for over 10 years... I just don't know how satisfy whatever missing dependencies my install must be suffering from...). Networking is the most important thing, followed by being able to install XCode.

cheers!

First, a big thanks - your post made me realize this is even possible on the B130... the fact that everything worked for you is fantastic news.

I don't expect that all of your steps will directly apply to me, as I got 10.3.9 installed via the Uphuck 1.4i DVD. I'm not really sure what's different though...

It seemed better to start with a newer image than try the one you did. Is this assumption valid?

Using the 1-pin paperclip short on the external VGA port (still needed for me), I boot in under a minute. Helps that I just installed a 160GB perpendicular HD, and 1.2 GB RAM. Video performance is smooth.

(I used to have an ibook 660MHz 512MB and 10.2... so I can appreciate the performance difference!)

Networking is broken badly though... I can get the Airport icon using your Airport plist PCI entry tip... but if I invoke Network Preferences, the preferences applet CRASHES. This was true before I read your post - nothing to do with your steps. It probably goes back to some choice I made during the uphuck 1.4i install (or it's a problem in uphuck.. I dunno).

It's been 2 months since your post... do you still suggest the JAS 10.4.8 installer?

Worst case I can try it, then attempt to manually upgrade, but I don't know what I'm doing here (I should add that I'm completely comfortable in UNIX and have been so for over 10 years... I just don't know how satisfy whatever missing dependencies my install must be suffering from...). Networking is the most important thing, followed by being able to install XCode.

cheers!

Get uphuck 1.4i r2, it works just as well

Get uphuck 1.4i r2, it works just as well

For me, r2 takes over 300% longer to boot... 1m45s. Version r1 took just 32 seconds. This might be user error, maybe I missed a selection during install. I'm not worried about this.

On the new release, I still have the same problem where Network Preferences still crashes. This is where I need help... I can't use such a thing lol (before the Internet, I was a BBS junkie so even my 8-bits had connectivity... I'm seeing spots right now.. :rolleyes: ).

I'm surprised how few posts there are about Dell Inspiron B130 and Uphuck OS X 1.4. It's an old laptop, but it was so popular when it came out 18 months ago, and is a lot of folk's first laptop.

If I solve this, I'll follow up here with step by step Uphuck B130 details or a link. I don't want to keep pinging my post, so if someone else has success with Uphuck 1.4 and the B130, please fill in the missing details. Thanks!

I got the same network preference issue. Don't install any kext fix, do it yourself manually.

it's a matter of dropping the kext published earlier in this post.

og and I forgot to say that uphuck 1.4i r2 supports Sleep ! It's slow to come back but it does work.

Now I am experiencing an Video issue that I'd like to share with other B130 owners.

During boot, and particularly when the os switches to video mode, the screen gets somes times all blured out. I am using the dongle trick and it's not the blue screen issue.

It looks like a video register initialization issue. Now that Sleep works, forcing the os to slip and come back usually fixes the issue.

Anyone experiencing this same issue or is it only me ?!

I got the same network preference issue. Don't install any kext fix, do it yourself manually.

it's a matter of dropping the kext published earlier in this post.

og and I forgot to say that uphuck 1.4i r2 supports Sleep ! It's slow to come back but it does work.

Now I am experiencing an Video issue that I'd like to share with other B130 owners.

During boot, and particularly when the os switches to video mode, the screen gets somes times all blured out. I am using the dongle trick and it's not the blue screen issue.

It looks like a video register initialization issue. Now that Sleep works, forcing the os to slip and come back usually fixes the issue.

Anyone experiencing this same issue or is it only me ?!

I've not seen the video glitch.. although I ran r2 only once (and it was unbearably slow for me). Your suggestion about the kext (IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip From 10.4.3?) may have helped down the road... the version linked here was corrupted, and I found a link elsewhere on this site.. I had understood that kext to be for "ethernet" (wired, really).

In any case, that's one thing that's correct. I still crash Network Preferences though when I try opening it.

So your Network Preferences crashes also, or not?

I can't wait till someone has an installer that lets you pick the laptop MODEL, and it'll do some best-guess autoconfiguration. :P

I've not seen the video glitch.. although I ran r2 only once (and it was unbearably slow for me). Your suggestion about the kext (IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip From 10.4.3?) may have helped down the road... the version linked here was corrupted, and I found a link elsewhere on this site.. I had understood that kext to be for "ethernet" (wired, really).

In any case, that's one thing that's correct. I still crash Network Preferences though when I try opening it.

So your Network Preferences crashes also, or not?

I can't wait till someone has an installer that lets you pick the laptop MODEL, and it'll do some best-guess autoconfiguration. ;)

It WAS crashing, i reinstalled the whole system without any network/wireless drivers and did the install myself.

it works fine now.

I have two BMC cards one network, the other wireless.

It WAS crashing, i reinstalled the whole system without any network/wireless drivers and did the install myself.

it works fine now.

I have two BMC cards one network, the other wireless.

AH, I get it now. Will try it out... thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to report that this is even easier under Uphuck 1.4i r3.

Steps:

You still need the paperclip dongle, but the 1-pin method is sufficent.

Install (More or less) the same packages

(I've added both Intel VGA drivers... doesn't hurt)

Be sure to select the packages related to Broadcom, "BCM"

... and the IO80211 package using older drivers

... and the 'patch' for the IO80211 mentioned above

Sorry I am so imprecise, but you will see it...

For me (and more than once) the install or first post-install reboot, would hang. I gave it 30 mins, but a spinning star is all I saw.

A hard reset works, and the system boots right up

With r3, Wired DHCP networking worked on the first try - no edits

The only thing I needed to do to enable Wireless was add in the pci14 id line, and reboot. I did not need the en1->en0 switch as the file was already matching the answer

I can say that r3 and r2 are slower than r1 to boot... about 1 min 25 seconds. On r1 it was consistently 32 seconds. (No this is not a stock B130.. 1.25GB RAM + new IDE 160GB drive which is way faster than original).

Am now running triple-boot via Grub, with a spare 60GB FAT32 partition for data. Ficken sweet!!!

It kinda sucks that Mail was removed... I'm worried they'll strip Safari next!

I think uphuck etc are trying too hard to shave the download size of these torrents... anything under 2GB is fine, and some of us will actually USE email under OS X (it's a real OS to me... my old iBook ran 10.2 till the MB died)

Otherwise.. .awesome awesome!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

In the aiport config instructions it says "7. before <string>pci14e4,4319</string> add this: <string>pci14e4,4318</string> (change the 4318 to your ID, Mines is 4318 because i have Dell Wireless 1370)"

Noob question, but is the ID your SSID or how do you find it?

ah well see

that sudo su coding

is to activate ur airport (your broadcom wireless)

so depending on what ever 3rd party extention u have, u have to search on how to make that work in os x86. Just see if that wireless adaptor works on a normal Mac first

then work from their

try searching the model in insanely mac

or if not get a mac compatible one off ebay or an alternate shop