[Howto] Customize Photoshop splash screen under Mac OSX

2 posts in this topic

How to customize photoshop's splash screen under Mac os x :thumbsup_anim:.....

This guide is in response to Retro_X's Illustrator splash screen replacement post, hope someone else finds it usefull.....

1) First you need to download resknife, that is a resource editor, you can get it here: http://web.nickshanks.com/downloads/resknife/resknife.sit.

Some applications have a resource file that contains some data necessary to help the program run and sometime it also contains icons and images. For Photoshop the resource file is located in /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Adobe Photoshop CS3.app/Contents/Resources/Adobe Photoshop CS3.rsrc, this is what we will be editing. For saftey before editing the file make a backup copy in case you screw something up.

2) If you have photoshop open, close it. Then open resknife and open the Adobe Photoshop CS3.rsrc file.

3) Once it is open you need look for SplashArtBackground.png (type = PNGf ). Select it and click on export data from the toolbar ( if export data is not there click on customize and add it )

4) Save the file as SplashArtBackground.png on your desktop or where you prefer....

5) Fire up photoshop and start editing ;)

6) Once you have something that you like save it and rename it to SplashArtBackground.rsrc.

7) Open in resknife Adobe Photoshop CS3.rsrc and locate SplashArtBackground.png double click on it, select all and delete.

8) With SplashArtBackground.png still open go to file-open and open your custom splash screen that is now called SplashArtBackground.rsrc, select all, copy and paste it in the SplashArtBackground.png window. Now save everything and you should have a custom photoshop splash screen.......

• 1 year later...

ok so i ran into a little bit of trouble on the last step :/

7) Open in resknife Adobe Photoshop CS3.rsrc and locate SplashArtBackground.png double click on it, select all and delete.

8) With SplashArtBackground.png still open go to file-open and open your custom splash screen that is now called SplashArtBackground.rsrc, select all, copy and paste it in the SplashArtBackground.png window. Now save everything and you should have a custom photoshop splash screen.......

alright the problem i had was after i deleted the splashartbackground.png information and opened splashartbackground.rsrc the only file available for me to click on is data fork and the other 4 files are not highlighted and can not be clicked on im so confused please help