iPod 30gb 5.5g Case I Made, Want Opinions

bwhsh8r

20 posts in this topic

4y4w8xu.jpg

5yspzc2.jpg

Let me know what you think, i figured out that it fit perfectly in with the sleve (well, not in monty pithon, but in pink floyd after cutting off those little pointy things that go through the cassette and cutting a headphone hole =D

easy project, cost $2 (and possibly a thumb.... be careful people!)

cassettes .99 at teh record store i go to, and i ruined one.... but i am happy with the results

i probably will cut a jack in the bottom for syncing, and ill take a guided walkthrough after i do it like 20 more times in two days (making one for my gf, possibly selling em..... but its reallly easy!)

and, with the sleve, it doesnt scrach against anything if you cut the posts down all the way, but it depends on the case.... and the headphones ended up holding it shut (a good accident!)

please let me know what you think!!!!

Simple but attractive. Nice work bwhsh8r.

:rolleyes:

thanks, glad someone else likes it, and i put a piece of paper over where the nubs were now, so it definately wont scratch,

& it was ether this or homework, and guess what i picked! :thumbsup_anim:

Edit: and no crackhead would steal a cassette so its thief proof (trust me were idiots, they wont figure it out)

Ive done something like this on two occasions, one being a quick little theif-detterent thing where i hollowed out an old cassette player and had my ipod in there for same keeping, and another i did as a grade for my engineering class where i made this badass cd player/ipod holder where you could semi see the ipod through the cd players old screen and i used this metal foil spacer to allow me to use the clickwheel through the cover, along with an external jack so it all looked real. too bad someone stole my ipod before i finished.

Old-school. Me like. Now if you could do something about the clickwheel and the screen you're golden. Heck, I'd even build one myself... but only if you make a HOWTO in the Genius Bar... :D

Old-school. Me like. Now if you could do something about the clickwheel and the screen you're golden. Heck, I'd even build one myself... but only if you make a HOWTO in the Genius Bar... :hysterical:

hahahha, i could cut holes for that, but i prefer playlists since if i cut the holes the art from the (album, cassette, w/e the yea you get the idea) would be butchered, and if you could access those itd also be pritty obveous what it was ;)

and yea Rzk, twas going to do that one but ill have to find foam and a cassette player first, that and this is smaller, ahhahhah

ResX, sorry again about your ipod, how would tinfoil help transfer the controls?

ResX, sorry again about your ipod, how would tinfoil help transfer the controls?

it was this weird metal array taht i made at school. it had these little strips (of what im gussing was steel) placed in a circular pattern and closed the half inch gap between the top and the ipod so i could touch the surface of the case and it would transmit through to the ipod. got an A for creativity and the use of materials and tools (old cd case, milled everything out with a PL1000)

• 3 weeks later...

lol, this is great. I loved the idea. Perfect for using iPods in dangerous places :P

Bonus points for using the Pink Floyd case

^ seconded

PS: lol, messy desk. Mine is worse though :o

QFE Pink Floyd is the best!

one of the few bands I listen to on a regular basis, it's pretty much them, Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa, and The Beatles (with MANY other bands strewn in, but those are what I listen to just about every day)

in fact, I'm listening to Animals right now

EDIT: using my 30 GB 5th gen iPod with a firmware that has been dubbed Floydpod, I'll post a .bin of it and instructions on how to write it to your iPod from OS X if anyone wants it (yeah, even though I don't use iPodLinux anymore, it was a good learning experience, so even though it isn't all that great anymore, I emplore everyone here to fiddle around with it (MANUALLY, NO INSTALLERS) to learn a bit, and it will also get you used to using the terminal to write your firmware to your iPod, that's why I just posted this small rant thingy about iPodLinux)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder if an 80 GB ipod will fit.. any idea? A new one should be awaiting me for my bday soon. Worse comes to worse I'll just send my iPod to you bwhsh8r to custom fit it :unsure:

(BTW, IMO, the cover for Wish You Were Here is better :P)

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if an 80 GB ipod will fit.. any idea? A new one should be awaiting me for my bday soon. Worse comes to worse I'll just send my iPod to you bwhsh8r to custom fit it :(

80gb iPod ftw! ;)

Love the case, very retro. Gives a nice... analogue... feel :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

lol thanks for all the interest guys,

the cases are really easy to make, the 80 might fit but its pushing it

and haha too bad i dont have the ipod anymore (it got jacked.... long story)

oh well.... if anyone else does anything like this / has custom cases to share they should :)