from native to vmware?

5 posts in this topic

hi guys! i ve managed to install jas 10.4.8 by reading the guides here (physical install, no vmware) and i was wondering whether i could run macos from vmware.. i m using acronis os selector to boot (and then i get another boot selector,text driven, don't know why)

now if i try and run macos through vmware (by selecting the partition macos was installed into), i get a GRUB error !! (probably because i had ubuntu installed there before i formated the partition..) ..

any ideas?

i have 2 hard disks, the first one has windows, the second one (1st partition) has macos..

thanks!

The drive needs it's own bootloader, could be Darwin Bootloader or boot from the DVD (or an image of the DVD) and at boot prompt select rd=diskXsY

thanks macgirl!! i didn't know i could boot from an image! (i can't just boot from the dvd as i have a sata dvd and I had to borrow a pata one from a friend of mine for a day to do the installation)

I will try it!

thanks again

bah it doesn't seem to be working..

i tried booting it from the iso, i choose the correct hd, and then it starts giving me a "family specific matching failed" for every component there is on my pc.. agp (?! - i have a pciexpress card!!) , scsi, ide usb etc ..

none of this happens in a physical boot.. :P

In VMware some parts are emulated, like Graphic Card, Ethernet, Sound, Mouse, Keyboard, Serial, Parallel, USB ports, even the IDE ports.

Even if you have a SATA disk (no matter which controller NVidia, VIA etc) inside VMware is a PATA witn Intel controler, but most of the installation DVDs have the necessary drivers for VMware.

You could try to install directly on VMware but to a HD Image for testing.