Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

Any thoughts on this?

Dell Latitude C840 up and running with 10.4.8.

Linksys WPC54G v3.1 plugged-in

Script bcm4xx . . . . from the front page of this discussion run with no affect.

sudo dmesg doesn't report a card

Airport admin won't even recognize I've got a card installed.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Anyone know if this version Linksys card has the Broadcom chipset?

:) NEW ADDITION ON PROGRESS MADE SO FAR:

Made some progress this evening by fixing PCMIA using instructions found here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36437

The card is now powered up and dmesg sees it! Just need now to get it recognized by Airport as a wireless card and we'll be in business! GREAT FORUM!!!

;) ANOTHER UPDATE:

Just noticed that dmesg reports: IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: TI 4451, rev 00

Which "I think" means TI chipset on this Linksys card, which means "I think", time to get a different card.

RIGHT???

Well after spending a couple hours working on this in the end I punched a figurative hole though the mac operating system scream at it "die, die, die!!!" Then I pulled the plug and decided I'll try again another day. I guess today is that day...

Let me first describe my computer:

quad booting: xp/vista/kalaway 10.5.2/kubuntu

quad core: Intel core 2 quad (2.4 Ghz)

Motherboard: dg33tl (also known as the devil)

Graphics card: nVidia 8800GT (512mb)

Wireless card: Dynex PCI card: DX-BGDTC Broadcom BCM4318KFBG

So I was searching for drivers... none to be found and then I came across this topic. It looked promising and matched my chipset. I downloaded and ran the file. It didn't work. I restarted the computer and still nothing. I rechecked the ktext file and it was changed. Puzzle I read on to figure out what was wrong. About page 3-4 I ran into these messages

mcsmart

It sounds like you need to swap your network interfaces in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist.

Do you have 2 onboard LAN cards? That could be the problem.

Wenle Z.

yep, i have two lan on my motherboard. now, my lan dont even work now. any solution?

(I have my wireless card and intergated ethernet port... I don't know if that applies, but I tried it anyway. P.S. lan never worked... thats why I'm trying to get the wireless to)

gai-jin

I have a 4318, but after running the script I'm still not seeing anything that indicates the wireless card is enabled.

One odd bit -- before running the script, 'Built in Ethernet' in the network panel was dithered out. After running the script, it is available and I can set configuration options for it. I plugged into a wired network w/ dhcp, but it didn't seem to detect it.

Is is possible that, since I don't have a driver yet for my wired ethernet, it is looking at the first ethernet adapter it finds (the wireless, in this case) and assuming it's the 'built in ethernet'?

How could I correct this?

------------------------------

Also, FWIW, I checked in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. and show en0 and fw0 interfaces, but nothing for wireless.

------------------------------

It looks like that's exactly what's happening. Digging around, I found in the Network Utility the Info section. There, for interface en0, it lists Vendor as "Apple", model as "Wireless Network Adapter".

I'm still trying to get my Yukon 8036 adapter working, but until then, what do I need to do to get the broadcom adapter recognized / configured as an airport card, rather than as en0 ?

k3nny

From my understanding you just have to set the integer from 0 to 1 in this part of

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

(after modifying the kext)

CODE

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

So that looked like the answer to my problems. I change the integer and restarted. To my surprise there was something new in the network connections... to my extreme disappointment it didn't pop up as a wireless card... it popped up as a firewire connection. At that moment at that moment I started to scream at it for confusing wireless internet with a firewire card...

So I'm here asking for everyone's help. Any ideas... I'll try anything. On that note I remember people talking about re-branding/debranding their card. I'm tempted to try this, but I'm not really good at linux(I just started using it yesterday... not even sure what sudo means, but its used alot... I think something with the permissions, *shrug*), so the directions kindof confused me. If I get desperate (or someone gives me a little better instructions, the massive output confused me) I'll try that.

Thanks for all of the help,

Hieros

Hey everyone I'm back. Unfortunately you can't edit your post after a certain amount of time, so I'll have to double post.

Well I tried a couple things. first I tried this: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

I was hoping that would reset everything and it would find it... no dice.

Then I though to just pull out my firewire connection that's located in the front. really no reason other than to see what would happen... which turned out to be nothing.

Next I found an example of NetworkInterfaces.plist and trying to just make it correct. That didn't really work. Here is what I got so far. (note that instead of using <key> and <value> I just put an equal sign between them here. In the real file, they have the appropriate tags)

BSD Name=en0

IOBuiltin=true

IOInterfaceType=6

IOInterfaceUnit=0

IOMACAddress=AJAnAAHRBeI=

IOPathmatch=IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P32@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci11c1,5811@3/AirPort_Brcm43xx/IO80211Interface

I've tried changing the "BSD Name" and "IOInterfaceUnit" to (en)1, but that doesn't do anything

I'm not sure what the IOInterfaceType should be, but from what I have found 144 is firewire and 6 is internet, so I set it to 6

I have no clue about IOBuiltin, if I'm suppose to set this to true/false I don't know.

I didn't touch IOMACAddress... not sure about that either

the IOPathMatch confuesed me the most... please tell me if there are any errors in there. I was working off an example and I don't know.

Also every time I reboot the firewire connect gets added back on, even when I delete it off. Also under network prefences the delete button is grayed out...

So any ideas before I move on to rebranding?

Sorry me one last time. I realized that I was very stupid and didn't look at the simplest of things. In vista, a let comes on to so that the power is on and in mac it doesn't do that... realizing that I just need to get rid of that soft switch. I heard someone saying that if you boot into windows (which turns it on) and reboot into mac it will work (attempting that now).

I've also heard putting some tape on pin #20 will stop this, but I'm not sure if thats the same for my card. I'll attempt it and give the results shortly

Hieros

EDIT: well that wasn't the problem... It probably didn't help, but still no dice

i installed a broadcom 4311 chip on my benq joybook

it dual boots with vista and kalyway 10.5.2 vanilla. i cant get this to work. im new to this macintel thing and

im wondring if im doing the right thing.

when i type the sudo...etc on the terminal, it asks for the password and after typing the password nothing follows.

is it already loaded? system profiler still doesnt show an airport card

thanks in advance

I've installed iATKOS 10.5.4, HP Broadcom 4321 (14e4, 4328).

I've run tried running the bcm43xx_enabler_0.5.1pre.sh.zip, it does not get detected. Tried edited the plist file suggested by buildsmart, does not work either.

I know the card works cos I've dual boot in vista and it works fine.

Any other information needed that can help me setup my broadcom card?

Thanks

I've attached my output from lspci -vvnn

lspci.txt

hey guys

I am trying to install the # Dell TrueMobile 1395 Wireless Controller which I have been looking around and it is said that it is the Broadcom BCM4310

I installed all three of the attachments on the first post and i cant get them to work. do i have to do something in the BIOS? or does the swithch has to be a certain way?

please help

i have a Dell Vostro 1510

Ethernet is working

audio not working

graphics working

boot up somewhat need to have the dvd in the drive or else it trys to boot from LAN

The script worked fine, but my Linksys WPC54G (BCM4318) is still detected as "Unknown Vendor, Network Controller". Any attempt to open Airport or find networks using Internet Connect results in freezing the system.

I do not think it is the PCMCIA drivers, because when I insert a Belkin card it is correctly detected by Airport as "Ralink, RT2500".

I am currently using 10.4.9 and ToH's 8.9.1 kernel, following this path: JaS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3/PPF1/PPF2 -> Delta (official) 10.4.9 update -> ToH's SSE2 8.9.1 kernel. System specs are in my signature.

Thank you for your time.

I also got such a problem. But during a quite short time after leopard started, I can see the detection of wireless signal. Just a short time, then the wifi keeps in a state " Unkown Vender". What 's the problem? Did anyone have any idea?

Hi. I have a Compaq Presario C571NR with a broadcom 4311 mini pci-e. I have installed Iatkos v1.0 r2, and it didn't recognized it. I tried many advices to make it work, but no success. In lspci my Mac recognize it, but that's all. In the top bar it says "no Airport card installed". Can you give some advices?

Thanks.

Update: 2008-07-27 3:24PM

Since it seems to be sort of difficult for new users to edit kext-files, I've written a small script which automatically adds the PCI IDs of all Broadcom wireless cards, which are AirPort compatible.

And this is where I need your feedback: Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Note: Only post the PCI ID if you simply have to add the ID to AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext in order to get it working!

Supported Chipsets:

• All Apple AirPort One Cards (4311,4312,4313,4319,431a,432a)
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4320, Broadcom BCM4320 b/g (confirmed)
  • 4324, Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 4325, Broadcom BCM4325 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN
  • 2b continued

Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.

Use this script at your own risk!!

Changelog:

• Version 0.5.1pre
    - added 4307, 4308, 4310, 4322, 4323 - just for testing
  • Version 0.5
    - 4325 confirmed
    - updated to zip file again
  • Version 0.5pre2 (Beta release!)
    - added more chipsets (4314, 4315), I don't know if they even work...
    - gziped, because I don't have zip installed atm
  • Version 0.5pre (Beta release!)
    - initial Leopard support
    - added more chipsets (4321, 4e,432a,432b,432c,432d, ...)
  • Version 0.4
    - Only delete Extensions.kextcache/Extensions.mkext and not Extensions.*
  • Version 0.3
    - Delete the kextcache automatically
    - Fixed a typo that wouldn't allow the majority of users to delete the Airport2.kext

FAQ:

• "sudo: ./bcm43xxenabler.sh: command can not be found"
    • N00b Attack: You need to be in the directory you have extracted the file to

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

• This could have many reasons. Try one of the following things:

• Delete the current network setup (in network preferences) and create a new one. Reboot.
      • If you had no luck, try this.
      • If that does not help, open Terminal and type: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist. Reboot

• If that does not help, try to move either the kext of your Wireless NIC or the kext of your wired NIC to a location where it does not get loaded on reboot. Then type (in Terminal):
        • sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
        • sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
        • Reboot

[*]If that does not help either, try this. It says it is supposed to work for a LinkSys WMP54G, but I guess it should work with other AirPort cards too.

[*]If none of these things did the trick, your card might have a crappy software power-on/off switch. Get a new one :rolleyes:

I installed IATKOS 10.5.4. My cardbus wireless card is Linksys WPC 54G version 3. I used Chun-Nan 's pcmcia/cardbus driver to activate the slot, but failed to make the wireless work by using this driver. The symtom is like in this post exactly:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4&hl=wpc54g

I noticed that soon after I boot leopard the wireless signal come out for a short moment, and then disappear.

But in the second post, the author confirmed that Linksys WPC54G works, that means many people succeed to make it. I was a little wondering if it is because the IOCARDFAMILY driver.

If you have experiences, please help me solve it. I also tried my friends D-link 650+, the same problem.

Hi. I have a Compaq Presario C571NR with a broadcom 4311 mini pci-e. I have installed Iatkos v1.0 r2, and it didn't recognized it. I tried many advices to make it work, but no success. In lspci my Mac recognize it, but that's all. In the top bar it says "no Airport card installed". Can you give some advices?

Thanks.

Hi Mottanu,

I have revised IOPCIFamily. Hopefully it will fix the broadcom 4311 issue in compaq computer this time. You can give it a try.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=119291

Chun-Nan

I installed IATKOS 10.5.4. My cardbus wireless card is Linksys WPC 54G version 3. I used Chun-Nan 's pcmcia/cardbus driver to activate the slot, but failed to make the wireless work by using this driver. The symtom is like in this post exactly:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4&hl=wpc54g

I noticed that soon after I boot leopard the wireless signal come out for a short moment, and then disappear.

But in the second post, the author confirmed that Linksys WPC54G works, that means many people succeed to make it. I was a little wondering if it is because the IOCARDFAMILY driver.

If you have experiences, please help me solve it. I also tried my friends D-link 650+, the same problem.

Hi seasoul,

Have you tried beta3 IOPCIFamily to see if it makes any difference? In addition, you may wnat to try different AppleAirPortBrcm4311 driver for your wireless since your pccard slot is recognized.

Chun-Nan

Hi Mottanu,

I have revised IOPCIFamily. Hopefully it will fix the broadcom 4311 issue in compaq computer this time. You can give it a try.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=119291

Chun-Nan

Hi seasoul,

Have you tried beta3 IOPCIFamily to see if it makes any difference? In addition, you may wnat to try different AppleAirPortBrcm4311 driver for your wireless since your pccard slot is recognized.

Chun-Nan

Problem solved. Thanks a lot for your help, Chun-Nan. I tried beta3 IOPCIFamily this time to make the wireless work. Previously I used rev8 version.:( I thought the beta version may be not stable, so I missed it.

Other guys who suffered the same thing as me, you can always try the newest one. :D

Please post your Broadcom device IDs in this topic, if you have simply added them to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Then I can add them to my script so new users can simply download the script and get their Broadcom wireless card to work.

So please post the PCI ID and maybe a little description (at least if the card is 802.11a, b or g).

Another happy user of BuildSmart's PCI Broadcom 802.11n -- Vendor ID 0x14E4 Product ID 0x4329.

[*]"My card shows up as an AirPort but it says disabled or not configured"

I ran Assistant and created a new location. I was unable to set AirPort under "Automatic" location. Now, fully working.

Cheers.

Hi i have an HP Pavillion dv2000 Laptop with Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN wireless chipset, i have followed the instructions and terminal says that everything has completed successfuly but when i reboot the operating system doesnt recognize my wireless chip at all and in the system profiler it says that airport is configured to en0 even when i edited the kext to say en1 which is my device's location, help is appreciated :)