UK Vista

macgirl

21 posts in this topic

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. It's like when I went to purchase a ticket from American Airlines. They charged the same price in dollars but in sterling (GBP). So they almost got twice the money for the same service.

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. It's like when I went to purchase a ticket from American Airlines. They charged the same price in dollars but in sterling (GBP). So they almost got twice the money for the same service.

And with exchange rates any ticket would literally be double in price over here, it's rip-off Britain for definate. Macbook Pro's over here cost twice as much as their US counterparts!

And with exchange rates any ticket would literally be double in price over here, it's rip-off Britain for definate. Macbook Pro's over here cost twice as much as their US counterparts!

Which is why I'm planning on buying one out there and bringing it back over with me :P

Provided the fact that I can get the money together... =/

Which is why I'm planning on buying one out there and bringing it back over with me :)

Provided the fact that I can get the money together... =/

It would be more sensible, make sure the charger is universal though as UK/US power differs. I'm envious if they are univeral though as I don't have any relatives in the U.S I can stay at...

they are not universal but you can but a universal power kit from apple

Now that's not nice! :) Seriously, that could put normal consumers off buying a Macbook, I myself am looking to eventually get a MacBook Pro for Loonyversity but I need it to roam between countries...

Wait, people buy Vista?? :)

/jk

The difference the Atlantic makes is astounding, Apple is no exception.

It would have been £1500 for me to get my Powerbook here (my, that was a long time ago!), but thanks to exchange rates, and a Dad on detachment, I got it for around £1100.

However, I have discovered that the cheapest place for us British to get Apple gear is, in fact...

Canada!

My Candian friend was selling his MB for about $800 Canadian Dollars (which I guess is a reasonable price for a 2nd hand MB). But over here, that works out as a dirt cheap £372.

Top Gear Top Tip, get your Macs from ebay.ca

And with exchange rates any ticket would literally be double in price over here, it's rip-off Britain for definate.

I know quite a bit about rip-off Britain. But rip-off Italy isn't bad either. For instance when I lived in the UK I payed £20 a month for gas and £20 for electricity. Here I pay about £100 a month for electricity only (small house, warmer climate than in the UK).

However, I have discovered that the cheapest place for us British to get Apple gear is, in fact...

Canada!

dunno about the rest of the countries out there and I kinda think its likely there are others where its cheaper but I found in going to the US and I doubt its changed.... overall Laptops all together are cheaper here then it was there, one laptop I bought here new would cost me about 800$ more at US.... I had been considering buying there but didn't cause of the price:p....

saying all that hey I'm fine with becoming a macbook reseller overnight;) jk's

I'm not a Microsoft fan by any means, but the price isn't entirely up to them. First of all, that price includes VAT, while the CompUSA price does not include tax. Depending on what state you live in, that will add almost $20 to it. Secondly, the UK charges companies a large bit of money to import products. I didn't want to spend too much time looking it up, and I'm sure this isn't exact since there are about a million categories for imports, and software doesn't seem to be one of them, but as far as I can tell, they have higher tax rates for larger companies, so they could be taxed 30% of the combined value of the software (resale value), shipping cost, and insurance. I'm sure there are other costs involved with distributing a product worldwide, but just taxes alone bring the price to $305.50 (MS's 30% import tax and then the 17.5% VAT).

• 1 month later...
screwmicrosoft.png
What are you complaining at?In Belgium (mainland Europe)Vista Home Basic (retail) costs (prices quted are VAT incl.):279 euros --> 187.57 UKP --> 385.78 USDSo needles to say most ppl either try to obtain an OEM-version (approx. 99 euro) or copy it.Cheers,EPDM
My plan exactly :P
Sure... like they're waiting in line for that.If I recieve something from Canada to Belgium I have to add 33% import-taxes on top of VAT. I recently ordered an iPod-adaptor for my Volvo-car radio costing about 160 CAD (ex.vat) after I finally recieved it I had payed +330 CAD (230 euro).No wonder that Belgian ministers have about 10000 euro NET income EACH MONTH :-(
screwmicrosoft.png
Yeah you get what you deserve. This what you get by destroying your own innovative IT industry!The UK had the best consumer computer systems ever (Acorn RISC OS machines and Psion) and you stupid ppl couldn't even cherrish that. Well, you wanted windows now you got it and it's grip on the IT-world. Well done.Ofcourse the same is true of halve of Europe's mainland (yeah including Belgium). Europe... the whore of Microsoft... pffft.