Does Leopard beta support nVidia's 8800?

FabricioGS

23 posts in this topic

I'm sorry if that's already answered somewhere else but I did searched and couldn't find anything related here :tomato:

I bought a new 8800 GTS for my Windows games but it just doesn't work with OS X 10.14.8/9 and it will kill me stay without OS X in my pc until October (or whenever Leeoparda came out - IF came out with some drivers for it at all).

If at least there's a beta driver for it on 10.5 beta with some 3d acceleration would be great.

PS: Sorry for my bad English, I'm not a native speaker.

I wouldnt go that far... Engadget- Radeon HD 2900 vs 800 GTX..

more importantly, the HD 2900XT cost 440$ and the 8800 GTX cost around 550$. Although I hear the radeon drivers suck ( as always, thats why I have an nVidia atm )

That's VS. the 8800GTS, which runs 330-380 for the 320MB and 640MB versions. The 2900XT is better than the 320MB 8800GTS, but not better than the 640MB 8800GTS, and both are still quite a bit cheaper than the 2900XT; also, the 2900XT is loud, uses much more power, and has very crappy drivers.

The 8800GTX flies circles around the 2900XT, and the 8800 Ultra even more so, nVidia has 3 cards faster than the 2900XT, and two of which that are barely on either end of the 2900XT and still cheaper than the 2900XT.

That's VS. the 8800GTS, which runs 330-380 for the 320MB and 640MB versions. The 2900XT is better than the 320MB 8800GTS, but not better than the 640MB 8800GTS, and both are still quite a bit cheaper than the 2900XT; also, the 2900XT is loud, uses much more power, and has very crappy drivers.

The 8800GTX flies circles around the 2900XT, and the 8800 Ultra even more so, nVidia has 3 cards faster than the 2900XT, and two of which that are barely on either end of the 2900XT and still cheaper than the 2900XT.

Thanks for pointing that out! I should have read closer.. This summer I plan on buying a new DX10 card, looks like I'll be sticking with nVidia!

I wonder if apple would go with the nVidia 8800 GTX or the ATI HD 2900 XT?

The vast majority of users seem to want a NVIDIA, also because NVIDIA support for Linux is far superior. So if they are wise they should know what to do.

Apple is going to be releasing systems based around ATI 2900 cards so don't hold your breath on 8xxx series drivers for nVidia.

Also, ATI has yet to release the true mack daddy of the 2900 line, the 2900XTX, so don't point the win to nVidia just yet.

http://xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20070520232515.html

However, it is true about ATI's drivers.

But what people also don't realize is that nVidia is holding back a good bit of power on these cards that can be unlocked with driver updates as well. :thumbsup_anim:

I've had a 640MB 8800GTS since launch and I can tell its still holding back power because the fan hasn't even kicked into high gear one time yet since I've owned the thing and I put a huge load on it (ALL of my games run with 16xQ anti-aliasing, 16xAF jacked up in nVidia control panel plus every other quality setting I can find) and yet, the only time the fan is going nuts is when I turn the fan on max manually via Coolbits.

Contrast that to my 7900GT, which the slightest bit of gaming would cause the fan to max and subsequently, within an hour, the computer would crash due to the 7900 overheating... ;)

DX10 cards are of NO use in OSX as DX10 is windows vista only... OSX uses OpenGL for graphics and latest opengl is 2.1 already in NV 7xxx series and ATI x1xxx series...

So i doubt we will ever see any dx10 cards on mac... unless they make opengl to use new gpus at 100%

But we do see the old dx9 cards right? its not about the 8x00 being dx10, it just faster cards. The do ogl just fine from what I hear.

Its only the gamers that cares about dx, pro users cares about ogl. no matter if they on xp, os x or vista.

how do you know? thx

...pple's programmers. Stay tuned for an in-depth 10.4.10 preview report over the coming weekend!

Apple and ATi are hard at work bringing ATi/AMD's latest flagship graphics accelerator, and its upcoming value-priced derivatives, to the Mac. The Radeon HD 2900XT will premiere in new Mac Pros as a Build to Order option in the next few weeks, according to reliable sources at AMD.

Recent rumors...

http://macosrumors.com/

I've got one and I can say the 2900XT's heat and noise has been a bit overblown. Well the heat at least. :) The OEM fan is pretty crappy but at least it is more of dull low, almost muted sounding noise than the high pitched one you often get. As far as heat/power when running 2D they use slightly less than the GTS640, though there has been a good deal of variance reported in the initial production. When running full out 3D they around the same as a GTX, give or take. Once again with variation in initial production. Apparently it looks a lot like they are still dialing in optimal doping on the silicon.

Oh, and the drivers may suck at optimization, especially on AA, but overall NVidia's Vista drivers suck harder and in worse ways (although they've definately improved lately). :tomato: Which is why I have the 2900XT.

P.S. ATI has Open Sourced their 'nix drivers! Given how badly they sucked at supporting them in the past that's probably a very wise choice. :) But I do have to ask, given that OSX is a branch from a unix kernel how feasible would Open Source R600 Apple drivers be? Even if Apple didn't pick up up the 2900XT as an offical Mac card (or maybe the 2600XT which is being billed as having a much more iMac friendly power/heat profile).

SLI support SHOULD be in there there now, or soon. The Mac Pro can hold 4 cards!

But unless I'm mistaken, they're driven independantly, not via SLI. (Although the hardware supports it and it works under bootcamp in WinXP/Vista)

Ah, this question remains unknown......and I hope there's something call Hackintosh OX S 10.5 for X86 Pc in the future :o

DX10 cards are of NO use in OSX as DX10 is windows vista only... OSX uses OpenGL for graphics and latest opengl is 2.1 already in NV 7xxx series and ATI x1xxx series...

So i doubt we will ever see any dx10 cards on mac... unless they make opengl to use new gpus at 100%

Actually, NVIDIA released a new OpenGL extension that allows for geometry shaders to be used in OpenGL when they released the GeForce 8 series. It only works on cards that support DX10, however.