Intel SpeedStep/AMD Cool and Quiet support is here

107 posts in this topic

Alright, the AMD installer seems to work perfectly, though only if I boot up with 'cpus=1', very good job!

One question though, even though the CPU is being used around 80% all the time with running applications the fan does not seem to go louder than its level 2 (of approx 9 swoosh levels), does this mean that my CPU is at ease and does not have too much stress?

Golly, I wonder what will happen if I download the Adobe Creative Suite CS3 and start using it on it.. O_O

Thanks in advance, again great job!

Edit: I already knew about the clock slowdown and the performance slightly going down, but is sound stuttering/lagging also a bug that comes with this kext install?

Simply download the Intel Installer, after selecting the destination drive, click the Customize button, untick “Intel SpeedStep Extensions” and install.

Then download this AMD installer, it will install the required AMD Cool and Quiet kernel extension.

from mac.nub's blog.

sorry i've  do not unticked “Intel SpeedStep Extensions”, now my system reboots and reboots and reboots and... so on. My processor is an AMD sempron 3000+ 10.4.8 JAS What can i do to recover my system to an usable state?

sorry my english...

from mac.nub's blog.

sorry i've  do not unticked “Intel SpeedStep Extensions”, now my system reboots and reboots and reboots and... so on. My processor is an AMD sempron 3000+ 10.4.8 JAS What can i do to recover my system to an usable state?

sorry my english...

nevermind, im running just fine everything works, but my system clock is soooo slooooow, my mp3 files sound laggy

(i'm using Play mp3 player)

sorry my english...

Can only confirm it works on my system, haven't had this speed in a long time, and my notebook finally cooles down :wacko:

thank you, and keep up the good work :D

Edit: Noticed, that i can't return from sleep, that's the only thing, everything else works (Y)

hmm, strange...

with this kext installed my system hangs just after loading the GUI.

i'm on a pentium 4 mobile so i think it should work. (laptop: compaq evo N610c)

any ideas on why this could be?

anyways, thanks for the effort to make my cpu a bit cooler, this was the last really needed addition to osx86!

keep up the good work

anton.

hi there.

AMD Turion 64 x2 on my Amilo...

i'm testing 10.4.9 with this SpeedStep kext.

cputhrottle working with cpus=1...

i tried the unstable x2 (by... duddie? or kazzuya?) version which freezes my desktop in a minute or two.

is there any work going on about this to make it a little stable?

i can give some log files if it helps.

again: is it normal that debug message reports CPUThrottle working on both CPU0 and CPU1 even if i boot up with cpus=1?

ciao.

Works great for an AMD 3700+ Venice on an Abit AN8-SLI board. Waiting for the developers of DCPUManager/Mac OS (whoever comes first) to fix the slowmotion bug (any frequency under normal causes the system to run at slowmotion instead of just lowering the performance). Currently this is one thing which bugs me without end.

Works great for an AMD 3700+ Venice on an Abit AN8-SLI board. Waiting for the developers of DCPUManager/Mac OS (whoever comes first) to fix the slowmotion bug (any frequency under normal causes the system to run at slowmotion instead of just lowering the performance). Currently this is one thing which bugs me without end.

Yes, I have this bug too and I removed the CPU throttler for this reason.

Any news on development?

What about my slowmotion bug?

Not as far as I know, try contacting duddie (the developer of the AMD kext)

As for development, the Intel version is now actually pretty stable, and if you have a supported CPU you shouldn't have any problems.

Where as with the AMD version, there is of course still the slowdown bug.

The easiest way to catch duddie is probably on IRC... irc.osx86.hu #appleacpi

~mac.nub

As for development, the Intel version is now actually pretty stable, and if you have a supported CPU you shouldn't have any problems.

I also have an Inspiron 6400, but with a T2250 (1.73 Ghz). Speedstep is generally running very well with it. The only annoyances are that

- the DCPUManager is still somewhat buggy (can't start minimized, always have to manually exit it when shutting down)

- my CPU is detected with a maxfreq of 2.17 Ghz instead of 1.73 Ghz. How do I correct it? I already tried to modify "kern.cpu_maxfreq", but the variable is read-only, so I am not able to write to it.

Any help much appreciated.

AWESOME! ;) my thinkpad is running much cooler and longer! HOORAY! i also got the no sleep working on lid close AND my lcd turns off automatically! i'm excited! i get about 25 more minutes of batteyr life now! thanks for all your hard work! ROCK THE HACKINTOSH!

Not as far as I know, try contacting duddie (the developer of the AMD kext)

Where as with the AMD version, there is of course still the slowdown bug.

The easiest way to catch duddie is probably on IRC... irc.osx86.hu #appleacpi

~mac.nub

I tried it several times, but there was no answer in the channel either from duddie.. this is bad for all AMD users with this bug.

hi, one question....?

i run uphuck 1.3 on amd turion 1.8 Ghz.

i know, running ubuntu, that my cpu supports 3 steps of frez. 800, 1,6 and 1.8

when i boot with ac adapter i think osx boots with 1.8 Gh fixed freq.

when i boot with battery osx boots with 800 Gh fixed freq.

ok, i´ve seen make speedstep working for amd cpu it´s a hard job,

is there any file (boot file, boot command, boot instruction, i don´t know what...) where osx detects booting energy and associates a fixed freq to run system. can we change it, fixed, no matter, i always want 1.8 Gh, i dont want speedstep.

it´s possible,...?

I can't do anything for OSX 10.4.10 , unless the kernel devel hacks in and adds supports for this

Its possible you can use sysctl to manually take control of the speed ......Its possible

ATM , it works with PowerNow , COol and Quiet and Intel Speedstep

I can't do anything for OSX 10.4.10 , unless the kernel devel hacks in and adds supports for this

Its possible you can use sysctl to manually take control of the speed ......Its possible

ATM , it works with PowerNow , COol and Quiet and Intel Speedstep

Are you working on a fix for AMD slowmotion bug, yet?

Prasys,

Thanks for all the hard work that you do! I had a quick questions. I seem to recall something being mentioned a month or two ago that you were working on a solution for the dell core2duo laptop issue. Anything exciting to report on that front? I check every day hoping for some exciting new news.

Thanks again!