[HowTo] Create a partition HFS

sponge

25 posts in this topic

ok, so i figured it out: this tutorial is so you can create a new partition, i havent figured out how to Expand the partition but at least youll have some space

First we boot LIVE CD linux, doenst matter really what flavor i used gentoo, but get into prompt and:

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda

then hit new partition and create it, then goto the new partition with the cfdisk program and hit type, change the type of the partition to AF. its not on the list but if you just type "AF" it will make the partition AF, then write the partition table. reboot the computer, open up applications>utilitys>disk utility and format the hard newly created partition. ill do some pictures and what not later and make the tutorial better, but for now, you guys can comment and {censored} around.

REMEMBER: DONT MESS WITH YOUR FIRST 6gig DRIVE. thats where your OS is installed. so dont accidently format that.

ok, so i figured it out: this tutorial is so you can create a new partition, i havent figured out how to Expand the partition but at least youll have some space

First we boot LIVE CD linux, doenst matter really what flavor i used gentoo, but get into prompt and:

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda

then hit new partition and create it, then goto the new partition with the cfdisk program and hit type, change the type of the partition to AF. its not on the list but if you just type "AF" it will make the partition AF, then write the partition table. reboot the computer, open up applications>utilitys>disk utility and format the hard newly created partition. ill do some pictures and what not later and make the tutorial better, but for now, you guys can comment and {censored} around.

REMEMBER: DONT MESS WITH YOUR FIRST 6gig DRIVE. thats where your OS is installed. so dont accidently format that.

Dude, Nice work however you might want to tell ppl that if you have osx running off your primary slave to use /dev/hdb for example, you know the rest... other wise you know whats going to happen... Just trying to help :lol:...

Dude, Nice work however you might want to tell ppl that if you have osx running off your primary slave to use /dev/hdb for example, you know the rest... other wise you know whats going to happen... Just trying to help :rolleyes:...

im going to write a full tutorial for this {censored}, and my next project is getting wireless to work =) - im going to rip apart WirelessDrivers.sourceforge.net and see how they do it. mabey i can get something.

I posted this a few days ago: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=192&hl=

As I said:

For anyone who is unhappy with only 6gb in MacOSX, I was able to do the following so that the rest of the freespace on the HD can be mounted in OSX. (Note: I'm sure there are better ways to do this)

1. Boot with the Ubuntu LiveCD (or whatever distro you prefer). Once in go to terminal and run cfdisk.

2. Create a New primary partition. For the sizes I just used the default because it automatically selects all the remaining space.

3. Select the new partition and go to Type. Change the Type to the Darwin UFS (I believe it was A8).

4. Write the partition to disk and reboot. Remove the CD.

5. In OSX go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

6. You should see something like diskos2 under tiger-x86. Select it, then go to the Erase tab, click Erase and Erase the partition. (I had to do this before it would mount the partition). After it's erased it should be a mounted as another partition which you can access in finder. (Note: erasing takes awhile and it spits out some funky numbers/feedback as it erases...don't mind that.)

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I just thought I'd mention that it's entirely possible to add a new partition to use up the remainder of your system disk without leaving OS X or booting from any other OS's CDs... This procedure assumes that you know/ have reset the password for your OS X box's root account (described elsewhere):

1. Start up a terminal

2. su to root

3. Start the fdisk command, supplying the path to your disks' "whole disk" node. Mine (on primary master) was /dev/rdisk0 - yours may vary if you have other HDs installed, and the -e flag (interactive mode).

Example: fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

* You should be greeted by a prompt like: fdisk: 1>

4. Proceed to edit the second partition entry, by typing: edit 2

5. You will be prompted for four peices of information:

* Partition Id: AF (BSD or HFS+ partition ID, I think)

* CHS mode: n (to use sector counts instead)

* Partition offset: accept the default (it starts directly after the previous partition)

* Partition size: accept the default (it uses as much free contiguous space as possible)

6. Write the partition table to disk, by typing: write

* You probably will be told that the partition table could not be written to the disk, and prompted as to whether you wish it written on next reboot. Tell it: y

7. Quit fdisk, by typing: quit

8. Reboot your machine.

9. Follow the Disk Utility instructions mentioned in previous posts to format your new partition for use.

I hope this helps, although add the following disclaimer: It worked for me; it should work for you but please be sure of what you're doing - incorrect usage could damage your OS X install, or, indeed, data on any other attached drives.

Hi,

I just thought I'd mention that it's entirely possible to add a new partition to use up the remainder of your system disk without leaving OS X or booting from any other OS's CDs... This procedure assumes that you know/ have reset the password for your OS X box's root account (described elsewhere):

One step missed in your post.

you have to use newfs_hfs to format the new partition before use it.

Anyone knows which file substitudes the old "/etc/fstab" ?

• 2 weeks later...

Also, if your not a linux person and you have XP on your system (I have a dual boot with XP and OSx86), you can use diskpart

C:\>

diskpart

select disk 0

create partition primary id=af

Whatever free space was unused is now an apple partition

before leaving diskpart, make sure the partition you want is active. For some stupid reason, by default, when you create a new partition, it wants to make that new partition active.

list partition

Then type

select partion x

, x being the # that you want to be active (for me its the XP one)

then type

active

then quit

When you reboot into OSX, then follow the directions above to go to diskutility, your new partition will be there, hit ERASE and you have another drive for the mac.

I made a darwin partition using Ubuntu LiveCD, and it works in OS X, but it's recognized as "UNIX

File System". Applications cannot be installed to it, but if you move them manually after installation,

it works.

Is there a way to make it a "real" Apple-partition?

Is there a way to make it a "real" Apple-partition?

I made my partition using the disk utility. I booted vmware with the 6G image and access to the real drive, created a new partition and used the restore function to copy the drive contents over to the new partition.

To make the partition bootable I booted off the 6G partition with "rd=disk0s2 -s" then did

fsck -fy
dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2
startupfiletool -v /dev/rdisk0s2 /usr/standalone/i386/boot

Hi,

1. Start up a terminal

[snip]

9. Follow the Disk Utility instructions mentioned in previous posts to format your new partition for use.

I hope this helps, although add the following disclaimer: It worked for me; it should work for you but please be sure of what you're doing - incorrect usage could damage your OS X install, or, indeed, data on any other attached drives.

I'm firmly rooted in the whole Linux/Windows paradigm. While I find moving programs from one disk or directory to the other via "click and drag" refreshingly simple, I still find it unsettling. In OSx86, are there any advantages to having one large partition? What are the disadvantages of just slapping an additional partition on the back end of the one I got running now and call it good? Or am I overthinking this a bit too much and these operating systems really are more similar in this regard than I might think?

I haven't touched a Mac since 1986 and only started playing around with Linux a year or two ago. I'm pretty "blank" when it comes to knowing the "hows" and "whys" to much of this stuff.

Thanks again.

CODE

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda

Be carefull this is dangerous after doing it I get message on boot

HFS+ paetition error

Fortunately I made a ghost image first

None of these methods are easy

• 1 month later...

Woow...got thru finally , I like PhoenixGB's method excellent way to go....now, I'm curious however, with the current image file is there a way to install and use the entire HDD instead of leaving with two partitions???? say I'd like to install just one 20, 30 , 40 or xGB partition???

Thanks

Ok, it seems you guys are using the deadmoo install...

Generic patched is much better, it lets you use the OS X installer!

Anyways, for this...its kinda tricky, but easy to do!

-Setup the partitions-

Install OS X like reqular making a 6gb partition. (if you have only one HD, this is to later become part off your windows partition, so make it next to it)

Now you should also have freespace where you want the OS X partition to be.

-Move OS X to a new (larger) partition-

Now boot into OS X and opne the disk utility.

Format the freespace as an apple partition :D

and copy the 6gb current OS X partition to the new one! :P

-Move the freespace back into windows-

Now, all you need a program like partition magic and you can resize that 6gb of freespace back into you windows partition.

• 3 weeks later...
Now boot into OS X and opne the disk utility.

Format the freespace as an apple partition B)

You cannot format freespace as anything in disk utility, you must partition it as hfs which would destroy all data on all partitions of the drive, which is why it is not an option (greyed out) if the free space is on the physical drive you boot from

Hi all,

Selec, i used your method but when i boot on install's DVD and i went on DiskUtility, it can't see the partition.

I checked if my second partition was af, active and primary. All right but it can't see my second partition...

What's can i do?

Thanks

Hi,

1. Start up a terminal

You cannot format freespace as anything in disk utility, you must partition it as hfs which would destroy all data on all partitions of the drive, which is why it is not an option (greyed out) if the free space is on the physical drive you boot from

The above method worked for me, converted the 2nd parttion on my boot drive from FAT32 to HFS. Had to use the erase thing in Disk Utility for some reason though.

The above method worked for me, converted the 2nd parttion on my boot drive from FAT32 to HFS. Had to use the erase thing in Disk Utility for some reason though.

I also used CFDISK and created an "AF" partition.

When I booted osx86 Disk Utility, it saw the partition but couldn't access it...so I hit erase, it did some mumbo jumbo (I think it simply formatted the partition) and it was there.

The most bizarre thing happened to me. I followed the instructions on how to give my entire hard drive over to OSX while still inside OSX, but then that ruined my partition. I couldn't boot.

So i open up a linux boot disk, futz around in fdisk and cfdisk, and delete all the partitions on my hard drive. I then created a new HF partition that took up the entire drive. I then tried to install OSX again.

BUT GET THIS!! THe installer saw my original osx install. I pulled the disk, rebooted, and my lost and found install reappeared!!

But my problem now is that although I can get back into OSX and the disk utility reads as having the entire hard drive, I still only have 6 gb. The drive says that I have the full capacity allocated to it (19.1) gb. But there is no extra free space!! How do I tell OSX to use it?

Edit: Drive info:

Capacity: 19.1 GB

Available: 335.3 MB

Used: 5.7 GB

Mac OS X extended (journalled)...

blah blah blah

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda

can you install apps over this partition?

hello people - i think iv got a solution, but i havent managed it yet.

I installed my osx from a image through windows (didnt use a install DVD). I have a 6gb partition for osx on a 160gb drive which i specifically got for osx. Iv got annother 160gb drive for windows.

Iv been reading around, some say that you can expand the 6gb partition by using partition magic (a windows program) Iv used this program before but it cant edit my osx drive as it thinks its "bad".

Iv also read that you can use a cd bootable linux to extend the 6gb partition or create a new partition. Iv got a linux distro made for partitioning drives its like 25mb - so fast to download. I booted up this linux and it cant change my osx partition, it says "Incorrect Magic Values in the Journal Header". If you want to create a ADDITIONAL partition id use windows as GParted cannot create HFS+ but only HSF, but if u waant to use it u can convert the partition in osx to HSF+.

As for using linux to make a additional partition i havent tried but i think the terminal thing in GParted wont work as GParted is a small linux distro just mainly designed for drive managment, so id use annother distro. I will make a additional partition in windows if all fails.

Iv also tried using mac drive to copy all the files from the mac partitioon to my windows one, then making a large partition and putting the files back there. That didnt work as windows couldnt have some of the files as the names were too long.

There is a way to do this - it has been done. Ill keep reading around and keep you posted.

GParted (linux thats supposed to work) from here - http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

If you find a way to do this please PM me or email me. If you have questions/answers also PM or email.

Miraj

There are way to many files to rename. How can i reinstall it then? Iv got a image. WHen u install the image ur partition is always 6gb. iv got a install dvd (the jas one) but it dosnt work for me. Iv downloading some partitioning software now that claims that it can rearrange (extend or shrink) OSX file systems. Ill let you know what happens.