Vista  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Did you purchase Vista?

• Yes, online
    • Yes, in a store
    • Yes, it came with my PC
    • No

72 posts in this topic

Just thought about this as a poll, who here as actually bought Vista. Any edition, I mean actually ordered online or went into a store or has a legal copy of it. I really can't see myself spending $399 for Ultimate (which is the only GOOD version) when my computer doesn't run it well enough to make it fulltime.

This isn't a topic about if your going to purchase Vista, as I'v seen those already.

Yeah, I spent 260$ for the ultimate upgrade edition. I like it a lot, and Id say its worth the money ( if you have it, if your computer is lacking though... 260$ can go a lot farther )..

Either way, Id say Vista is an exceptional succesor to XP, and a worthy opponent of OS X.

Just thought about this as a poll, who here as actually bought Vista. Any edition, I mean actually ordered online or went into a store or has a legal copy of it. I really can't see myself spending $399 for Ultimate (which is the only GOOD version) when my computer doesn't run it well enough to make it fulltime.

This isn't a topic about if your going to purchase Vista, as I'v seen those already.

Please explain how Ultimate is the only 'good' version ? You get what, DreamScene, Poker, BitLocker and some other things ?

Home Premium is all anyone really needs and I can't believe you actually said Ultimate is the only good version. Have you even checked what the differences between the versions are ?

well.. it's the only one with aero and the accelerated desktop AFAIK

Home premium also has Aero enabled, and also has the accelerated desktop.

However, bitlocker is a key security feature (and security was touted heavily by Microsoft when talking about Vista), but this is only avaliable in the Ultimate version. This is not a minor feature either, to ignore...its quite significant. Personally I think Microsoft should have incorporated BitLocker into all of the versions. Another security feature that home premium does not have, but ultimate has....is Secure Startup (Cornerstone). Again, I dont understand why Microsoft is crippling the key security features that differentiate it from Xp, on many of the Vista versions...other than the most expensive ultimate. Another major feature that is not in home premium, however is in Ultimate, is volume shadow copy. This is a great idea for reducing productivity errors....but is avaliable only on the most expensive version of Vista...and these are the things that make it more different from XP...but if they are avaliable on only the highest version of Vista, its not too apealing.

Those mentioned three examples are quite significant in terms of security, and helping increase productivity...however are not avaliable on any version other than Ultimate, which do not come with many PC's purchased with Vista...which only come with Home Premium.

Windows Aero, Windows Flip 3D navigation, Scheduled and Network Backup, Windows Meeting Space, and Tablet Technology are available in Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, and Windows Vista Ultimate. Windows DVD Maker, HD support for Windows Movie Maker, Chess Titans, and Mahjong Titans are available in Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate.

MS are so Dumb..

Just go buy a Mac instead of a PC

Seem like we are not able to beat even the chinese in the vista contest... I think ms bought most copies themselves to the big summer camp fire celebration outside apples wwdc... oh... well...

maybe somewhere else

Bought Vista Business full edition for $299 at Office Depot, after removing some of the features I didnt want with vlite, I have to say its not all that bad. RAM usage is about 370MB at startup though, some of the things I removed were ReadyBoost and SuperFetch if I remember thats what its called as I didnt really think I wanted it and Vista runs fine without them.

On a MBP-C2D 2.33 Ghz w/ 2GB of RAM, I have to say it runs decently. The only thing is, it really heats up the computer after a little while and Im afraid it will wear out the components faster due to the constant higher heat.

I give it a "B-" or a "C+" rating, its good, but not something to get too excited about :).

I've got it running on one of my desktops, didn't pay for it though. Not overly impressed with it to date and I'm getting annoyed with the constant accept/deny popup. I'd rather keep the $260 and save it towards a macbook - just think, that's 1/4 the cost you could blow on just an OS...

I've been reading that Ultimate has another feature not found in the other versions of Vista that enables it to force many drivers that the other versions can't use. I've heard of examples that this is the case, but I don't know why they only work on Ultimate? Anyone here have a clue? I just really think it's weird that MS would disable their OS to work with certain hardware if you don't have the right version.

well.. it's the only one with aero and the accelerated desktop AFAIK

and AFAIK it's the only "innovation" of VISTA

Wow, just wow.

This is why there should a test before people are allowed to use computers and the internet.

Wow, just wow.

This is why there should a test before people are allowed to use computers and the internet.

And this is why there should be a test before people are allowed to use this forum. And you should show some respect BTW, that is a moderator, he has earned it by being useful to this community, and I am sure that, generally speaking, he knows about computers a lot more than average.

Oh wait, I forgot, the word 'respect" doesn't exist in you dictionary...

I think I stopped paying for M$ OS's about 6 years ago. I'm dual booting Windows XP and Windows Vista Ultimate (I don't legally own either). XP is a corporate copy and Vista Ultimate is a retail DVD copy with a frozen timer :D

I have the pirated release to manufacturing DVD sitting somewhere in my room that has been floating around since the OS went gold. I installed it on a system for a friend and sincerely apogized afterwards by fixing his computer up with a bunch of drivers, software and tweaks when he brough his laptop back in to me with XP installed. I doubt i will ever install vista unless i see some major improvements in a service pack release and will continue to offer a 'downgrade' to XP to any of my friends who may happen to buy a new pc with vista preinstalled. as far as i'm concerned OSx86 development is progressing faster than Vista.