Mac OS X Illuminous!

U.C.

50 posts in this topic

i'm expecting a smooth gray interface with flatter (and smoother) buttons w/ grayish blue elements (like iTunes). Also, there will be alot of shiny black transparent elements. This is consistent with the interface of the iPhone as well.

You guys only care about shiny objects. :) Would you have looked at NeXT and thought that would be a killer GUI? Yet everytime you use OSX you are using a polished NeXT GUI. Now the concepts seen in Looking Glass for a 3D environment are before Beryl, and Microsoft. You guys should watch the video demo on the website it shows some great concepts of the GUI besides the screenshots. And yeah Apple has borroweed ideas from SUN, a couple knowns are Zetabyte File System, and Zones (Apple calling them "Spaces").

James

Vista doesn't have very much in the way of window effects and movement. It would have to be more like: (*cough* Beryl *cough*).

Yes, but im talking about the glowing effects and the flipping windows chooser. But beryl is another good example of too much movent and activity.

You guys only care about shiny objects. :hysterical: Would you have looked at NeXT and thought that would be a killer GUI? Yet everytime you use OSX you are using a polished NeXT GUI. Now the concepts seen in Looking Glass for a 3D environment are before Beryl, and Microsoft. You guys should watch the video demo on the website it shows some great concepts of the GUI besides the screenshots. And yeah Apple has borroweed ideas from SUN, a couple knowns are Zetabyte File System, and Zones (Apple calling them "Spaces").

James

Please don't speak about what you don't understand. Solaris Zones is a technology for virtualization, nothing to do with multiple desktop like spaces.

And Apple didn't borrow anything: ZFS is open source dude, everybody can use it.

PS: I already USED this interface, it's a lot more than just looking at this video.

You can't do anything with looking glass, there are too few applications and they are ugly.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hate the dark look. Its too gloomy, I much prefer the aqua look to that concept, my guess is, apple wont make the UI so dark and if darkness is implemented, it wont be so overpowering and it certainly wont be everywhere. Itunes 7 already has a 'dark' streak to it on the navigation panel on the left, and I dont particularly like that either, it looks very vista-ish.

Apples new theme is less metal and more clean than anything that the beta's i have tried. Look at all their current apps they are putting out. NO metal.

That skin is ugly, looks vista ( eww) and does not look macish at all.

• 3 months later...

I'd like that. I need a dark theme for OS X. I'm disappointed this isn't available.

I had the XP Silver theme in OS X for a while. Yeah, I got tired of it, but it was a nice change, and I had missed ye-olde-Graphite. People can hate Vista, but anything anyone makes for OS X strengthens the platform.

Yes, indeed it is unfortunate that that theme is not integrated into Leopard. We should have a night and day theme for Mac OS X. Personally, yes, I need a dark theme as all of the appearances of Mac OS X have driven me a little nutty. I'm a software developer that stares into the lcd/monitor all day and most of the night and dark themes are necessary. In TextMate we have some very good themes that help when I'm editing in there, but the overall system needs it terribly. It sounds like we'll get some very nice dark ones from the theme'ing scene with Leopard due to the upcoming changes in ShapeShifter 3.

That's about the only solace I have right now as I don't think Apple quite understands our needs as far as this goes and I've pelted them with radar requests again and again over the last few years.

I really don't know why the developer of Illuminous hasn't released this theme. It looks fine! I also don't understand why you cannot choose your own GUI style by default without running software like UNO or ShapeShifter, I mean having the choice between Blue and Graphite is not very satisfying. Apple should also let the user decide about opacity of the Menu Bar or any windows - that is the only critics I have about Aqua/the OS X GUI.

• 2 years later...