Any Unreal Tournament games working?

macgirl

46 posts in this topic

Well ive tested ut2k4 mac full version doesnt install it just crashes after you select the installer

but the funy thing is the ut2k4 demo works lol i even got on the net too but was very very slow it said it was using open gl when i checked but it was like software mode but at least it worked

My sys:

osx86 = f81099 upgraded to 8f1111

Spec:

intel d915gev

ram = 1024 (ddr2)

gfx = ati x600 pro (pcie)

2 x 200 (sata) HD

cpu = intel p4 3.0 ghz

• 1 month later...

UT 2k4 full works on my 8f1111 system, see specs in sig. framerate is rather low though: in dm its about 40 fps, onslaught and assault are not playable fps<25; detail level normal, resolution 1280x1024; when i tried to downscale the resolution it runs only in windowed mode...

greetz tom

Could you tell me how you got ut2k4 full running plz as ive tried but at the install after i enter my key it just crashes but demo runs mind you

intel D915gev

p4 3.0

ati x600 pcie / gma 900

1 gig ddr2 ram

Ive Full install just patched the aoh* and everything works just excellent just wish i had ut2k4 working ( hehe )

as i need to stick to windows xp for that shame really id love to just dirch windows but i cant until ut works hehe

thank peeps

Thank you very Doug the Impaler that worked a treat ut2k4 install no problem now and updates and runs just fine except fot the speed 20 to 30 fps not really playable compared to xp were i get a constant 70 fps

real glad it works ok tho and thats on the ati x600 pcie and on gma 900 its worse hehe

btw im curley had to re register as i lost my password and stuff due to the B*****D xp crashing on me lol

Curley, that happens on PPC Macs sometimes, too. There's an intaller patch on MacSoft's website:

http://www.macsoftgames.com/products/ut2k4...K4-Support.html

UT2k4 runs nicely (about as fast as my 1.6GHz G4 upgrade) on my 2.8GHz Prescott (with SSE3). Could be better and I'm sure there'll be a universal patch.

:blink:

DUDE, Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo runs at 10-18 FPS on my 3GHz Pentium 4 Prescott with HT, SSE3, and 2Mb L2. . . how does it run so fast on your slower Northwood???

Running "nicely" means I had no problem gettting it installed or running...besides, I've got all the options cranked way down and that seems to help, even if the hardware supports it. The biggest performance increase you can get is by setting physics to low.

And yes, a universal binary would help greatly.

Edited by Doug the Impaler

• 2 weeks later...
I doubt it could be faster than in windows. Osx was never known about having a fast 3d implementation.

But still, my P4 3GHz x86 mac is 2x faster than my iBook G4, IMO. So I think it probably will run faster, Tamte even said that the Developer team for UT2004 could put in even more x86 optimizations now that they have a mac/x86 UT2004.

But still, my P4 3GHz x86 mac is 2x faster than my iBook G4, IMO. So I think it probably will run faster, Tamte even said that the Developer team for UT2004 could put in even more x86 optimizations now that they have a mac/x86 UT2004.

FYI, for those who can't run the demo (ie, the game crashes after the splash screen), I just replaced the file openal.dylib from Unreal Tournament 2004.app/System with another one I found on some sites (google is your friend) and now it works.

My processor only has SSE2, but I don't think this is why I had to do this : it seems latest Quicktime modifies OpenAL support in OSX and makes some more games crash on OSX ; not sure about this though.

And yes, it's slow as hell, I really wanna see an universal binary to see how it runs within a SSE2 processor since Rosetta uses a lot of SSE3 instructions anyway.

FYI, for those who can't run the demo (ie, the game crashes after the splash screen), I just replaced the file openal.dylib from Unreal Tournament 2004.app/System with another one I found on some sites (google is your friend) and now it works.

My processor only has SSE2, but I don't think this is why I had to do this : it seems latest Quicktime modifies OpenAL support in OSX and makes some more games crash on OSX ; not sure about this though.

And yes, it's slow as hell, I really wanna see an universal binary to see how it runs within a SSE2 processor since Rosetta uses a lot of SSE3 instructions anyway.

What are your system specs. ?

P4P800SE 3Ghz HT SSE2 512 RAM RADEON 9800PRO and some integrated chip sound card, an AC97 one from SoundMax.

Hmm, if you're not using the SSE3 emulator, things should run as fast as SSE3. Though, on the PPC side of macs, UT2004 doesn't use the GPU much, it practically lives off the CPU, that's why Halo, which uses shaders, runs much better.

Hmm, if you're not using the SSE3 emulator, things should run as fast as SSE3. Though, on the PPC side of macs, UT2004 doesn't use the GPU much, it practically lives off the CPU, that's why Halo, which uses shaders, runs much better.

I do use that SSE3 Emulator of course, else I wouldn't be able to even boot OSX.

Yep, I have to admit Halo is definitly faster and more playable than UT is.

The only game I have the universal binary of is just a port of Quake 3 so I can't really test how SSE3 emulation affects apps that aren't running with Rosetta. It's fast, but hey, it's like 7 years :)

I guess i'll know soon enough with that soon-to-come 1.9.3 patch for World of Warcraft. Weird though it won't work with Rosetta for now, while it works on development kits and real imac... Seems the Radeon (9xxx series or Xxxx series) has something to do with it or the TPM patch. Hopefully the universal binary of WoW will now run, as it seems all universal binaries do run on "our" 10.4.3, even though it's patched. Only Rosetta seems to have problems which leads us to that TPM patch, but I don't know for sure... Anyhow this is a bit off topic but I wanted to expose to some of you where "mac gaming" is going on "our" 10.4.3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...