SCSI works! Ultra320 SCSI PCI-X

15 posts in this topic

People said it couldn't be done..... I had faith.....

Without further ado.... the screenshot:

http://81k.org/gps/DelsolSCSI.png

artlace_: Delsol: what you had to do?

[11:50pm] Delsol: I had to open my case....pull my graphics card, take out the realtek 8169 that I no longer need because Ramm has that bitchin file to make my onboard 8139 work..... then I had to plug in the SCSI card... plug the drive onto the card...... put the graphics card back in.... and boot.

[11:50pm] Delsol: Yes.. thats right

[11:50pm] Delsol: OUT OF THE BOX... no hacking, no messing, no muss, no fuss

Its all in picking the CORRECT card.

People said it couldn't be done..... I had faith.....

Without further ado.... the screenshot:

http://81k.org/gps/DelsolSCSI.png

artlace_: Delsol: what you had to do?

[11:50pm] Delsol: I had to open my case....pull my graphics card, take out the realtek 8169 that I no longer need because Ramm has that bitchin file to make my onboard 8139 work..... then I had to plug in the SCSI card... plug the drive onto the card...... put the graphics card back in.... and boot.

[11:50pm] Delsol: Yes.. thats right

[11:50pm] Delsol: OUT OF THE BOX... no hacking, no messing, no muss, no fuss

Its all in picking the CORRECT card.

. . can confirm this; but alas optical devices appear not to work (all I wanted was to get a Plex40 to work under MAX for secure audio ripping). Had to disable MPT BIOS to get OS X to boot with an optical device attached.

HBA used was a [hacked] Dell OEM version of the 21320R PCI-X jobbie - same SCSI controller ICs as used by OP's HBA. Haven't tried the thing with any of my Fujitsu 15K rpm HDDs attached but assume they work OK, FWIW . . . . drat & blast: is there no C2-reporting high-speed optical ripper for OSX?

[edit] BTW an Adaptec 2940U/UW definitely didn't work at all, as previously reported. Will try my 3960D [66MHz version of the 39160] when I can dig the thing out from the fileserver.

post-103618-1178968489_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Thought I'd update this thread with my results. No config needed to get SCSI working. PCI-X card in a regular PCI slot in my regular P5B, tossed in a 10k seagate drive and voila. Tried 2 of the same drive and formatted to raid, but no go. raid failed to mount. I'm guessing the 2nd drive is bad though and not the config. Haven't tried booting off of it. Drive volume shows up as external on desktop. No biggie.

LSI Logic Ultra320 LSI21320 - $49 used off of ebay

scsi_profiler.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone here with the LSI21320 - Can you boot off of it???

I'm considering getting one off eBay, but only if I can use it as a boot drive.

Thanks!

I don't have proof of working SCSI in leo yet, but the fusion MPT drivers are still supported by apple in 10.5, at least on the Mac Pro and Xserve for the Fiberchannel card, and I think the Xserve's hardware RAID controller might be FusionMPT based... not sure,

Either way, FusionMPT based Fiberchannel is still out there... since it uses the same FusionMPT driver, the FusionMPT based LSI Ultra320 cards should still work... as well as the FusionMPT based SAS stuff (non-bootable I'd assume still..... don't know for sure, but I haven't gotten SCSI booting working yet....

when I get my new build running, I'll give it another go for sure.... booting off 10k RPM RAID0 SCSI sounds like fun if I can get it to work.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just bought an LSI21320-R off eBay ($70) along with 2 more remanufactured Fujitsu 70GB 15K RPM SCSI HDDs (about$35 each).

Eventually I will be using 4 of these drives in a RAID 0.

I installed the card in a PCI slot (32 bit) & went into the adapter's BIOS & set up a RAID 0 with these 2 drives.

I booted the system with my Leo4Allv3 DVD and Disk Utility was able to see the RAID Set - YAY!!! Finally, I can boot off a 15k RPM RAID setup!

I then booted my system from my SATA WD HDD and decided to benchmark the RAID set using SpeedTools Quickbench & ZoneBench.

The sad results:

Quickbench:

Transfer Size Sequential Read Sequential Write Random Read Random Write

4 KBytes 22.052 MB/Sec 21.404 MB/Sec 1.314 MB/Sec 2.912 MB/Sec

8 KBytes 33.878 MB/Sec 32.233 MB/Sec 2.848 MB/Sec 5.590 MB/Sec

16 KBytes 46.369 MB/Sec 44.261 MB/Sec 5.713 MB/Sec 10.545 MB/Sec

32 KBytes 56.518 MB/Sec 54.986 MB/Sec 9.691 MB/Sec 18.843 MB/Sec

64 KBytes 63.151 MB/Sec 62.255 MB/Sec 16.134 MB/Sec 28.325 MB/Sec

128 KBytes 68.039 MB/Sec 65.870 MB/Sec 24.968 MB/Sec 34.670 MB/Sec

256 KBytes 70.338 MB/Sec 67.905 MB/Sec 36.161 MB/Sec 46.515 MB/Sec

512 KBytes 70.884 MB/Sec 68.656 MB/Sec 49.883 MB/Sec 62.295 MB/Sec

1024 KBytes 70.165 MB/Sec 68.077 MB/Sec 64.313 MB/Sec 64.553 MB/Sec

Standard Ave 55.710 MB/Sec 53.961 MB/Sec 23.447 MB/Sec 30.472 MB/Sec

I'm hoping that this is just because the 21320-R was sitting inside a PCI slot & not a PCI-X slot.

I'm planning on building a new Hack within the next month or 2 - with a mobo that has @ least 1 PCI-X slot.

I'm hoping that once the 21320-R is in a PCI-X slot that the data transfer rates will be much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Vlad: I picked up a Proliant ML530 G2...

Dual 2.8ghz Xeons.... SSE2, hyperthreading, 4 gig ram.....

SEVEN PCI-X slots... 100mhz... on FOUR busses.

2, 2, 2, 1

So i've got bandwidth to burn now.... IF I can get it to boot...

can't boot off the DVD drive... hangs at AppleServerWorksATA

Looking to boot SCSI/SAS/SATA... something I can shove in a PCI-X slot.

Any ideas, or thoughts on booting off the LSI card since I already have one....

Vlad: I picked up a Proliant ML530 G2...

Dual 2.8ghz Xeons.... SSE2, hyperthreading, 4 gig ram.....

SEVEN PCI-X slots... 100mhz... on FOUR busses.

2, 2, 2, 1

So i've got bandwidth to burn now.... IF I can get it to boot...

can't boot off the DVD drive... hangs at AppleServerWorksATA

Looking to boot SCSI/SAS/SATA... something I can shove in a PCI-X slot.

Any ideas, or thoughts on booting off the LSI card since I already have one....

That's quite a monster you have there. If I'm correct, I think I found the specs on the HP

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...rodTypeId=15351

It looks like it has a ServerWorks chipset, which I don't think would be good for OS X compatability.

If you can use a SATA controller card to boot a SATA DVD drive, that might be 1 option to install OS X.

Or use Copy Cat X to clone a working OS X install (from SATA HDD/controller) over to a SCSI HDD that you could connect to the LSI card.

• 2 months later...
I don't have proof of working SCSI in leo yet, but the fusion MPT drivers are still supported by apple in 10.5, at least on the Mac Pro and Xserve for the Fiberchannel card, and I think the Xserve's hardware RAID controller might be FusionMPT based... not sure,

Either way, FusionMPT based Fiberchannel is still out there... since it uses the same FusionMPT driver, the FusionMPT based LSI Ultra320 cards should still work... as well as the FusionMPT based SAS stuff (non-bootable I'd assume still..... don't know for sure, but I haven't gotten SCSI booting working yet....

when I get my new build running, I'll give it another go for sure.... booting off 10k RPM RAID0 SCSI sounds like fun if I can get it to work.

To all us Mac OS X x86 on big iron folks:

"Yes, Virginia, LSIFusionMPT.kext still works in Leopard!" (tested with iDeneb 10.5.4 at least).

A Dell-branded card (LSI Ultra320, exact model above in the first post) worked natively for me on a Dell PowerEdge 6650 (Quad 1.6Ghz Xeon MP, 2gb RAM, NVIDIA 6200 PCI card for video...) No fuss, no muss, no kext patching. You can in fact configure the drives the the BIOS level utility, installer sees them as one hard drive. The Apple Software RAID stuff is probably an option too, I've not tried it though.

The only trouble I had was when a drive (I was running on too old/worn-out HDs) stopped working, but the BIOS caught it as a failing drive and I was able to go back to a backup after I plopped in better SCSI drives.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Alright I'm looking at getting one of these... Wondering how well it will work with a 68pin to 50 pin adapter on the external port so I can use my film scanner.. I guess if it doesn't I can always buy a 15k drive to use a a boot drive to make this worth it