Linux vs. OS X

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Poll: Which OS is better? (338 member(s) have cast votes)

Operating Systems

1. Linux (99 votes [29.29%])

Percentage of vote: 29.29%

2. OS X (239 votes [70.71%])

Percentage of vote: 70.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Ranger

Ranger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
We've need this thread for awhile, and I'm surprised that no one has started it yet!

Which is better, in your opinion? Linux or OS X?

Why?

Edited by Ranger, 29 November 2005 - 05:34 PM.

DrJgermeister

DrJgermeister

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Interests:Sex, drugs and rock & roll

We've need this thread for awhile, and I'm surprised that no one has started it yet!

Why?

booth

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts
Depends on what you are doing I guess. :) I like both, although Linux always feels sorta unpolished when I'm using it as a workstation (in either Gnome or KDE). Always little discrepancies that annoy me.

Hagar

Hagar

Project Dogsbody

• Administrators
  • 2,352 posts
Definitely both, each for their use.. Linux is faster, osx is easier to use...

I often think that elements of both would make the ultimate OS, but could something as slick & coherent as osx come out of opensource? Then again, could the kind of versatility & support that linux has come from anything else?

Edited by Hagar, 29 November 2005 - 07:13 PM.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
OS X, because came from BSD :)

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,709 posts
Here are the things that I see:

Linux
Pros:
1. Highly customizable
2. Many options
3. Almost fully open source
4. Secure
5. Mostly free
6. Good online support
7. Stable

Cons:
1. Distro options can be duanting
2. Cluttered with too many customizable options
3. Horrible UI (sorry, I know this is debatable, but KDE and Gnome just require too many sacrifices. I have high hopes for KDE 4 though)
4. Tough learning curve
5. Little attention to detail
6. Not noob friendly (for the most part)
7. Important things like Flash, Java, MS Fonts, and even mp3 codecs don't come standard (most of the time)
8. Self-compiling installation of apps
9. Too many versions for good software distribution
10. Lack of driver support

OS X
Pros:
1. Simple to use, very intuitive
2. Small learning curve
3. BSD foundation
4. Fast support and bug fixes
5. Good community
6. About to take over the OS world :)
7. Consistant UI

Cons:
1. Not free
2. Kernel is a mix-and-match, and not very well optimized
3. Not the fastest OS
4. PPC and x86 versions will make it difficult in the short term for simple software/hardware support
5. Partially open source, but not quite
6. Too much proprietary-ness (AAC, etc)

What say you?

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
I would have to say hands down Linux. Red Hat Enterprise for my web servers and Ubuntu for my workstation. It's just unfortunate that ATI drivers trully suck on Linux.

antrunix

antrunix

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Kde on mac osx exists :

http://dot.kde.org/1073009304/

cyris ng

cyris ng

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Kde on mac osx exists :

http://dot.kde.org/1073009304/

Though why anyone would want to run KDE on OS X is beyond me.

I rather use OS X than Linux. For one thing OS X was designed so that you would never ever need to use Terminal unless you wanted too. Linux on the other hand requires you to use Console with a lot of tasks. Almost all commercial desktop apps are available on OS X. Not a lot of commercial desktop apps are available on Linux.

Linux being free is great but you get what you paid for. Pay peanuts get peanuts. It may be robust but dont expect your granny to start her own Apache webserver on her computer.

Technobob

Technobob

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
I have been trying to find a replacement for windows for a couple of years and have tried many version of Linux. The same thing has always stop me from using Linux and that is the many different ways to install programs. Plus the need to have this program to run this program (dependancies) never liked that. I'm not a fan of command line input and I just found that in Linux that all I was doing.

Mac on the other hand is easy to use, software is easy to install. I also like the look of Mac, Linux just looks like s**t and unfinished. Linux is a powerful OS but what good is power if the average user can't understand it. Mac is simple to use but still very powerful under the hood. Linux needs to be streamlined a bit, way to many versions. Linux will never be a main stream OS at least in the near future anyway. It will remain a hardcore geek thing until some better organization happens.

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • 1,958 posts
If dependencies are what is holding you back, Try out Debian for a month or two. Get used to apt-get command or the GUI installer/ Update daemon. Even better, Ubuntu is a great beginner's nix OS. Automatrix is a great script if you need to install the most popular codecs, plugins, nV drivers, and more.

http://ubuntuforums....ead.php?t=66563

PS, please don't turn this into a apt vs. yum thread.

Terran Ender

Terran Ender

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OSX, i belive it better. apple only needs to get off thier high horse and sell it as a OS for every thing

zorxd

zorxd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Overall Linux has much better foundations (thanks to GPL, Linux can use BSD code, but BSD can't use Linux code, which keeps Linux superior in my opinion) and is a lot faster.

But of course, OSX has a much nicer UI. (except the Finder application which sucks compared to Konqueror)
I always hated computers which aren't custom PCs (that include Apple).
OSX 10.4.3 works very well on my laptop, but I still prefer running Linux as my main OS.
Maybe I would use OSX more if it could replace Windows completly in the future (and Linux don't) and of course if I can get future versions of OSX to run on my computer.

Edited by zorxd, 27 January 2006 - 04:54 PM.

Fugu

Fugu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Imo they are not comparable!
* Linux is a just a kernel.
* OS X is a full blown operating system.

forcer

forcer

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Why?

for desktop ? for server ?
desktop - osx
server - linux(or freebsd)

New001

New001

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 290 posts

I would have to say hands down Linux. Red Hat Enterprise for my web servers and Ubuntu for my workstation. It's just unfortunate that ATI drivers trully suck on Linux.

I can see what you mean! Link.

A GeForceFX 5700 beating an X800, that's just not right.

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

I can see what you mean! Link.

A GeForceFX 5700 beating an X800, that's just not right.

I don' know how old those benches are but that about roght. The problem is that high end ATI drivers are closed sourse, unlike the nV drivers. They have been working on nV drivers for a while now. You can even have the same gui interface as Vista and OS X on an nV card. I can't say the same for ATI.

New001

New001

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 290 posts

I don' know how old those benches are but that about roght. The problem is that high end ATI drivers are closed sourse, unlike the nV drivers. They have been working on nV drivers for a while now. You can even have the same gui interface as Vista and OS X on an nV card. I can't say the same for ATI.

Yea, looks like if I'm going to run Linux, I should get a nVidia card, which I don't mind doing.

Killer Loop

Killer Loop

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Linux? What about BSD? No pun, but BSD is better that Linux and it CAN use linux code.
Personally though, I think darwin is the best-if it only had better driver support.

antrunix

antrunix

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Best UNIX best OS
http://www.sun.com/2...ture/index.html

"We favor Solaris because we've seen it's faster than Linux for the same applications"
SIEMENS CORPORATION

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy