ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB Fully working (1920x1200) + CI + QE

zackmario

25 posts in this topic

These forums and the folks here have been so helpful, I wanted to give something small back. If you have this card and have not been successful, this may help.

The right way to get this card to work is with calliisto (I use b3). I tried using it a month ago - but no luck. Tried the other versions of callisto - no luck. Best I could get was resolution change without CI/QE or 1024x768 with CI/QE (without using callisto). Was very frustrated - spent over 12 hours trying to get the card to work.

Then a week ago I got a new monitor and remembered reading that DVI was the way to go. My older LCD had only vga - no dvi. So this morning I tried again and everything worked just like it was supposed to. Whats more, I have NO mouse tearing at all (at least not so far).

So, if you have not had luck with this card - make sure you use a dvi connection before you give up.

Basic steps (from memory)

1. çheck your deviceid from system profiler. Mine was 4150

2. Get Callisto (start with b3). http://omni.110mb.com/callisto/

3. Read the install instructions html file carefully and follow it to the letter

4. Use a DVI cable :)

Get the card to work at the resolution you want first - then update ATIRadeon9700GA/Contents/Info.plist with the CallistoFB (as mentioned in the FAQ.html you get with the Callisto download)

Im thrilled this worked for me. It literally gives new life to this computer. Having to go back to XP (to enjoy my big screen) would have been terrible.

Good luck.

Zack

• 2 weeks later...
These forums and the folks here have been so helpful, I wanted to give something small back. If you have this card and have not been successful, this may help.

The right way to get this card to work is with calliisto (I use b3). I tried using it a month ago - but no luck. Tried the other versions of callisto - no luck. Best I could get was resolution change without CI/QE or 1024x768 with CI/QE (without using callisto). Was very frustrated - spent over 12 hours trying to get the card to work.

Then a week ago I got a new monitor and remembered reading that DVI was the way to go. My older LCD had only vga - no dvi. So this morning I tried again and everything worked just like it was supposed to. Whats more, I have NO mouse tearing at all (at least not so far).

So, if you have not had luck with this card - make sure you use a dvi connection before you give up.

3. Read the install instructions html file carefully and follow it to the letter

4. Use a DVI cable :censored2:

Get the card to work at the resolution you want first - then update ATIRadeon9700GA/Contents/Info.plist with the CallistoFB (as mentioned in the FAQ.html you get with the Callisto download)

Im thrilled this worked for me. It literally gives new life to this computer. Having to go back to XP (to enjoy my big screen) would have been terrible.

Good luck.

Zack

Okay... I've been trying to get resolutions greater than 1024x768 and keep CI/QE with my card, but it does not have DVI connection, only VGA. I'm assuming your does, or are you using an adapter of some kind?

Excellent, I'll try at home when I gets ther. Ive been having such trouble w/ 10.4.8 based upon this card, which no one seems to have an answer to. Ill try agin, w/ a fresh install. Truth be told, I never got Callisto to work propers for me using all sorts of versions. But I really want this to work w/ my 22" Dell. And DVI would be the icing on the cake!

Had the same problem, but then with a Asus Ati radeon 9600 XT but got it fully working now with the 10.4.8 dvd of JAS. I have QE/CI support after installing the OS.. did not install any patches. But i still got mouse tearing even with a VGA/DVI adapter. My system is a Asus T2-P deluxe with a celeron D processor

4. Use a DVI cable :)

Good luck.

Zack

Zack, did you use AGPGart 2.2? I havent tried this meth. yet, just installed 10.4.9 from Uphuck and Im trying to work some of the niggles out, but Ive rwead elswhere that AGPGart was a must for 9600 Radeons.

Okay I'll admit I was a skeptic. I had been stuck with 1024 x 768 resolution for the longest time and almost gave up the hope of getting full res for my LCD 1280 x 1024. However, I followed Callisto's instructions and what do you know all of a sudden I have my 1280 x 1024 resultion. - Not too bad, now I just need to get rid of artifacts...

ATI Radeon 9600 pro, 128 mb

Pentium 4 3.2 ghz, 2 gb DDR ram

blah blah blah

-Rock on

I too have a Radeon 9600 Pro (DeviceID also 4150 found in System Profiler/Graphics) working with CI/QE support at 1920x1200 using Callisto v008 up until I upgraded to 10.4.9 where I lost CI/QE. Anyone experience the same. It was fine on 10.4.1-10.4.8.

I followed these steps to upgrade to 10.4.9.

Using 003 doesn't help too, screen goes black in fact.

I have the same problem with my Sapphire Ati Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis (PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4150&SUBSYS_0200174B&REV_00\4&1AD7642&0&0058)

The card works under uphuck 10.4.9 v1.2 better than ever. No artefakts and no mouse smoothing and lags. But it seems i have lost CI/QE cause Toast don't want to start.

Any solution?

TY,

Rakete

Rakete-

Same vendor and and device id as mine (but manuf by PoweColor). I tried uphuck 10.4.9 v1.2 but on reboot I got the classic cannot find /com.apple.boot.plist file the several times I tried. So I went back to 10.4.8 and upgraded to 10.4.9 manually and then got the latest ss2 kernel.

What video driver did you use (I assume Callisto and which version (008 or 003 etc) to get 1920x1200 without problems?

I have nothing tried yet. Only installed and beeing happy about no more artefacts. Today I'll try to change Resolution and install Calisto.

Then I'll report immediately^^

today I tried Callisto 003 first, but got a black screen. Then I tried 008 and it worked fine as shown in theese results:

Radeon 9600 AP:

Chipsatz-Modell: Radeon 9600 AP

Typ: Monitor

Bus: PCI

VRAM (gesamt): 128 MB

Hersteller: ATI (0x1002)

Geräte-ID: 0x4150

Versions-ID: 0x0000

Monitore:

S/T 97B/96B:

Auflösung: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Farbtiefe: 32-Bit Farbe

Core Image: not supported

Hauptmonitor: yes

Synchronisierung: off

Eingeschaltet: yes

Quartz Extreme: not supported

(its in german, i translated it at a few points)

Resolution is fine for my 19" CRT, but I'm getting mad by trying to enable CI/QE... I followed the Callisto FAQ and modified the info.plist in the ATIRadeon9700GA but has no result...

the trick with the DVI-cable is not possible for me^^

Here is a small guide to get radeon 9600 working with everything in 10.4.9:

-download the attachment. extract it to "\" or in your preffered directory.

-This step is optional:

My radeon card's id was 4152. If your card has different id like 4150, then select CallisoHAL.kext and select "Show package Contents". Drag the info.plist file from "Contents" folder to desktop and open the file with text editor. Change this line:

key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x41521002&0xffffffff</string>

here change 4152 to 4150 or your card id. save the file. Drag the info.plist file from "Contents" folder to trash and drag the edited info.plist file from desktop to the "Contents" folder

-Now use the following commands to get it installed:

sudo -s
cp -r /AGPGart.kext /system/library/extensions/
cp -r /ATIRadeon9700.kext /system/library/extensions/
cp -r /ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin /system/library/extensions/
cp -r /Callisto.kext /system/library/extensions/
cp -r /CallistoHAL.kext /system/library/extensions/
rm -rf /system/library/Extensions.*

-Open disk utility and repair permissions. restart. You should have display working in the preference and CE/QE working.

Radeon9600.zip

First: Thanky you verry much for your help. People like you are priceless...

ok, followed your instructions. Now I have QE/CI workin but my whole system is lame and laggy and I have pixel fragments, so I can't use it for real workin... :hysterical:

It is all like under JaS 10.4.8 with PPF1 & PPF2. But this price is too much for QE/CI...

Any idea for a solution without making my machine lame like this?

Ty,

Rakete

Okay... I've been trying to get resolutions greater than 1024x768 and keep CI/QE with my card, but it does not have DVI connection, only VGA. I'm assuming your does, or are you using an adapter of some kind?

My card has DVI and VGA. Im using the DVI connection - no adapter. JAS 1048

Zack, did you use AGPGart 2.2? I havent tried this meth. yet, just installed 10.4.9 from Uphuck and Im trying to work some of the niggles out, but Ive rwead elswhere that AGPGart was a must for 9600 Radeons.

Not sure what AGPGart version got installed with Callisto - I didnt do anything specific regarding agpgart

Here is a small guide to get radeon 9600 working with everything in 10.4.9:

-download the attachment.

Update

Works! I now have 10.4.9 running at 1920x1200 with CoreImage (CI) and Quartz Extreme (QE) supported. Bus type of card is also registered correctly as an AGP card instead of PCI. Many thanks kingroach!!! :) I'm not exactly sure what's different; I had Callisto 008 installed already and did the editing of the ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin file (change the string of IOProviderClass to CallistoFB). Was it the AGPGart or did you also edit anything additional?

Mouse artifacts, unfortunately, are now present - as they were in every version since 10.4.3 when I got CI and QE supported. But at least now things are more fluid and playback of video (including screensavers) are possible again.

lol..I didnt do any magic.. I noticed that the CI/QE works with 10.4.8 but after upgrading it doesnt work.. So I reinstalled, CI/QE was working but after updating it stopped working.. I figured theres something wrong with the 10.4.9 ATIRadeon9700 driver. So I took ATIRadeon9700.kext and ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin from 10.4.9. Replaced the ATIRadeon9700 file from 10.4.8 in ATIRAdeon9700.kext folder. and took Callisto.kext , CallistoHAL.kext and AGPGart.kext from callisto installer and made the hybrid files..

side effect is that the user inface got slowed.. I get 200+ in xbench without CI/QE and only 20 with them enabled.. Fortunately I barely get any mouse artifacts. Sometimes when I double click on something ( like folders).. the point where I clicked turns white.. but other than that it works..

This is my first tiem installing oss86 in computer.. so dont have any previous radeon drivers from any other versions than 10.4.8.. May be different radeon drivers from other versions have different performance..

Update & recapitulation

1. I installed Uphuck 10.4.9 DVD v1.2 without "ATI AGP support" (heared about problems with it ?!?)

-> get a fast running system, Ati-Card recognized as PCI, resolution only 1024x786, no QE/CI, no mouse-artifacts

2. installed Callisto 008, made changes to the ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin like described in the CallistFAQ:

How do I get the QE/CI/OpenGL KEXTs to work with Callisto?

Look in your /System/Library/Extensions folder for ATIRadeonXXXXGA.plugin/ (XXXX depends on your card model). Edit its Info.plist, under IOProviderClass key change IONDRVFramebuffer to CallistoFB, update or delete Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache, then reboot.

-> get a fast running system, Ati-Card recognized as PCI, all resolutions, no QE/CI, no mouse-artifacts (take a look at post #12 in this thread)

3. installed the files from kingroach (post #13) and followed his instructions

-> get a slow and lagging system, don't shure as what Ati-Card was recognized, mouse-artifacts all resolutions, QE/CI enabled, no real working possible (post #14)

4. installed the latest AGPGart 2.2 as described in this post

-> system is running faster again - don't know, if it run as fast as at point 2., Ati-Card recognized as AGP, mouse-artifacts, all resolutions, QE/CI enabled.

Question is, if I can get QE/CI running without mouse-artifacts and slowing down the system? Maybe with Step 1, 2 and 4, without step 3?

regards, Rakete

Question is, if I can get QE/CI running without mouse-artifacts and slowing down the system? Maybe with Step 1, 2 and 4, without step 3?

regards, Rakete

To undo Step 3:

Look in your /System/Library/Extensions folder for ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin

Edit its Info.plist, under IOProviderClass key undo the change: instead of "CallistoFB" replace with "IONDRVFramebuffer", delete Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache, then reboot.

I get 200+ in xbench without CI/QE and only 20 with them enabled

I know for me my xbench is slightly higher with CI/QE supported...it's about 33 testing just the 3 items on the right: Quartz Extreme, OpenGL Test, and User Interface Test. Can someone test their system with just these three selected? My 33 seems very low compared to 200 :) I'm only using the right three items to keep variables such as the difference in our harddrives, system memory out of the equation.

My processor is a P4-1.8Ghz

I don't know if this will work for 9600, but it worked for my 9800

Had to add device ID to ATIRADEON9700.kext Later used Callisto 008 for res switching, follow callisto faq

to get res switching and QE CI. Plus installed QuartzSimple to enable Quartz2DExtreme

don't forget to fix permissions. :whistle:

btw i'm running Jas 10.4.8 sse2/sse3

hope it works for you guys too

Thanks Scrizz!! never heard of Quartz2DExtreme! A quick search led me to the below code and now Quartz2DExtreme is added to the list of "Supported"!

Simply run this code in the terminal (copy and paste)..it basically sets it to be enable by default.

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean yes

Things seem more snappier, even though a xbench test shows an increased of a few points (~35 total). Mouse artifacts still exist, but using Mouse Locator along with MouseLocator_OnlyShadow.png.zip seems to help a bit (I'm still looking for a better solution though)

The deviceID (4150) for my 9600 was already listed in the 9700GA, but thanks for the info and thanks for the 2D Extreme tip!

post-69165-1180583154_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

@kingroach

Hi, I used your metod, but I have Kernel Panic, My graphic card is ATI 9600pro ID 0x4152, can you help me?

Thanks in advance,

PD. I use Uphuck 10.4.9 1.3 DVD

Edit:

Now It´s works, I deleted Callisto and modify this

Edit its Info.plist, under IOProviderClass key undo the change: instead of "CallistoFB" replace with "IONDRVFramebuffer", delete Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache, then reboot.

Thanks to all ;)

hi out there,

is there anybody, who can help me??

i got a dell inspiron 8600 with an ati radeon 9600 pro with 128 mb ram and a nearly completely running 10.4.8.

i´´ve used several .kexts to run it with 1920x1200. bluetooth is running nativly, QE an CI are running too. :wacko:

the only problem i´ve got is, that i want to use my secondary display for powerpoint or keynote presentations!! okay, i´ve got the mouse tearing artifacts, but i can live with them.

is there someone out with a solution?? please!!!

thanks

dualist

post-89977-1184199151_thumb.png

post-89977-1184199168_thumb.png

• 3 months later...
hi out there,

is there anybody, who can help me??

i got a dell inspiron 8600 with an ati radeon 9600 pro with 128 mb ram and a nearly completely running 10.4.8.

i´´ve used several .kexts to run it with 1920x1200. bluetooth is running nativly, QE an CI are running too. :)

the only problem i´ve got is, that i want to use my secondary display for powerpoint or keynote presentations!! okay, i´ve got the mouse tearing artifacts, but i can live with them.

is there someone out with a solution?? please!!!

thanks

dualist

hello, someone out??