ALC880 Audio works!!!

skippyretard

236 posts in this topic

I've finally got my ALC880 audio working on ECS 915-m5 mobo. Many people have had same problem so here it is.

1)navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/info.plist

2)add 0x26688086 under <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key><string>0x27D88086 0x26688086</string>

3)save and exit

4)navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/

5)delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

6)Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

7)select your hard disk and click repair permissions

8)Reboot

You should now have Line Out and Line In working!

*EDIT* After the first reboot I had Line Out and Line In, I noticed only AppleHDA.kext's were loaded. Another reboot loaded AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and now I only have HD Audio Output. I will experiment more tonight, I was enjoying telling my PC what to do with Speech Recognition.

*EDIT* This only seems to work with ICH6

*EDIT* I no longer have a 915 mobo do to a severe lightning storm, so my support on this will be limited.

Edited by skippyretard

Anyone knows a way to get Device ID in Mac without resorting to Linux or Windows?

"About this Mac" has blank space for audio

and skippyretard if you get any kext compiled please describe your steps.

I've been trying compile numerous kext using Xcode 2.2 and so far no luck

Ironically you can get ven/dev ids from system profiler for components that have kexts loaded...

ALC860 has worked from the outset as output only.

Though I must admit I haven't tested it since upgrading to 1099, I still have "No input devices found".

This has been loading the Azalia kext, It seems as if this thread is about using the AppleHDA kext(s) instead?

Edited by Hagar

I've finally got my ALC880 audio working on ECS 915-m5 mobo. Many people have had same problem so here it is.

1)navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleHDAController/Contents/info.plist

2)add 0x26688086 under <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key><string>0x26688086</string>

3)save and exit

4)navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/

5)delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

6)Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

7)select your hard disk and click repair permissions

8)Reboot

You should now have Line Out and Line In working!

i am unable to find appleHDA.kext, help me out.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm using 10.4.3 Build 8F1099. This was ment for ALC880 users as our controller id was not being initailized, that's why Firedrake's method worked after booting from windoze. ALC860 users only need to modify AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to include 0x10ec0860 because your chipset was already being initailized by AppleHDAController.kext. I hope that clears it up, please post your results, chipset, and build # so we can compile a user guide for all Intel HD Audio users.

*EDIT* Also ALC882 users should be able to add 0x10ec0882 to AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and it will work, I belive it has same controller id as ALC860

Edited by skippyretard

MacP4, I can't seem to compile it either. guess it's not as easy as I thought. what mobo do you have?

bebox, try 0x24c58086

cyrana, I scanned that thread before but missed the discussion on the AppleHDA.kext. That certainly would have saved me some time!

ghost98, try putting 0x76808384 in the AppleHDAController.kext info.plist. Someone in the thread cyrana pointed to got they're 9223 working.

Edited by skippyretard

OMG This works.. I simply added 0x26688086 to the info.plist in AppleHDAController, & for the first time, sound input! smile.gif

just a word of warning.. I tried the same thing in 8f1111, and it caused a "you must restart" kernel panic & rendered osx86 unbootable. I had to boot linux & edit out 0x26688086 to get it back..

yeah, I just finished installing 8F1111 and went thru the same thing. I just disabled audio in BIOS, deleted extensions.kextcache, and repaired permissions on the drive. After reboot set audio in BIOS and all was good again. HD Audio Output works but no MIC or LineIn.

The line in thing was all that was of interest to me.. I'll have another fiddle with it tomorrow, it seems odd that it should work a treat in 1099 & panic the kernel in 1111.. Any pointers as to what might or might not work would be good..

ive got analogue input/output now - but no optical output and only stereo.

alc 880 supports 8 channel output.

did anyone get the 8 channel output or the optical output to work?

azaliaaudio doesnt seem to load anymore. hm.

and: thank you so much for this tip. its the first time i got my alc880 working - after 4 month of trying...

slowdiver, after you reboot do you still have Line In/Out or does it show as HD Audio Output? Mine appeared the same as yours after the first reboot, but another reboot started loading azaliaaudio and switched to HD Output.

Hagar, did you make any progress?

Edited by skippyretard

To make it easier I'm going to compile the kext's for ALC860,ALC880, and ALC882 so it will work with all Intel HD Audio. I may need help getting the ven and dev ids. If you've got them please post them here.

Have someone compiled kext for ALC882 on MOBO Asus P5LD2-VM with native Installation 10.4.3 Build 8F1099 on SATA. LAN works fine but have no Sound at Onboard ALC882.

Can´t disable Front Panel audio Connector in Bios!

Please Help!

:(