Broadcom 4311 Not Detect

errandwolfe

29 posts in this topic

OK, this one is driving me wacky. I just purchased a Presario C552US model laptop. This has a built in Broadcom 4311 wifi card. The device and vendor ID match what is already in the IO80211 kext (14e4,4311). Under Windows this wifi works with no problems.

I have already tried the editing of the networking.plist to change it to en1 but the card does not even show up there. Only my realtek 8139 shows up and it is set for en0. Just for kicks I changed it to en1 and that did not good either (in fact after reboot defaulted itself back to en0).

This is one of the laptops with a switch to turn wifi on/off, but the switch does not work, and I do have it to be enabled at boot in BIOS.

I have tried that, using 10.4.7 update, but it fails too. I have searched everywhere, and they are all say that this laptop(C300 and C500 compaq series) failed to activate the wireless. Maybe the master of hackintosh can solve this problem.....

From what I am able to figure out it seems to be a problem with the card not getting powered on. Mac OS DOES recognize the card the problem seems to be when the computer is powered on the card remains in an off state. If you have a dual boot with Windows and boot Win first, enable the card, and reboot, Mac then sees the card as native airport. The problem is the minute you do a full shut down on your system you are back in the same boat. I am not sure, but think this problem may be limited to the mini-PCI Express version of the Broadcomm 4311.

What needs to happen is someone either needs to find a way to make the radio on/off switch work or create a new kext that some how forces a radio on at boot.

@errandwolfe : My wireless is still active when reboot from Windows and go to Mac. (the blue light indicator is still on). But I still can't see the airport :( . If I type ifconfig from terminal, it says only 1 ethernet card in my Mac. :(

The Presario 500 and 300 series laptops have not been able to use the built-in wireless as of yet. I have been looking for an answer to this problem myself since November without any success. All of the tips on these forums that resulted in success on other laptops do not work on these. The BIOS seems to cripple it somehow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, I tried deleting the AirPort2.kext and still the same results, kernel crash. I have posted the text of the crash (well as much as I had patience for retyping) below:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A496B): Unresolved kernel trap (CPU 0, Type 14=page fault), registers:

CR0: 0X8001003b, CR2: Ox00000000, CR3: 0x01c43000, CR4: 0x000006e0

EAX: 0x00000000, EBX: 0x00000000, ECX: 0x1ba02000, EDX: 0x00000000

CR2: 0x00000000, EBP: 0x1d3fbd28, ESI: 0x000014e4, EDI: 0x1ba02000

EFL: 0x00010201, EIP: 0x37d78019, CS: 0x00000008, DS: 0x02170010

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential arguments on stack)

Insert several lines of hex addresses, please don't ask me to retype all this.

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx(223.79)@0x37d46000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.5.1)@0x3342c000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.1)@ox2d550000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(154.1)@ox37d29000

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1: Thu May 3 02:38:46 UZT 2007; made by ToH:xnu-792.18.15/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

i'm having the exact same problems on my Acer 5672. i've tried 2 cards so far, a Dell Truemobile 1490 and an Intel 3945abg. Both cards show up on Ioregs. On the broadcom the AppleBroadcom43xx kext even loads but i no new network interfaces show up anywhere. I tried taping over Pin 20 on the card which should dissable the radio switch. The tape works in windows, i can't turn the card off using the hardware switch, the led light stayed on the entire time. In OSX it does jack. Worst part is I still don't know what's wrong. The cards work fine in linux and Windows so what the hell is OSX doing to f#@k things up.

For anyone who wants to try using the tape method to dissable the RF Switch on their Mini PCI-Express wireless card here's what to do. But first, a word of caution. Opening up and playing with the parts in your computer can be dangerous to it's health. Make sure you propperly ground yourself and remove all power sources(battery and power plug) before operating on your laptop.

now to the good stuff. you'll need some clear tape, packing tape worked well for me. very sharp scissors or an exacto knife. and a screwdriver set for removing the card.

remove your card and flip it over on it's back with the pins facing up. it should look like this:

._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . _ _ _ _ _ ~

| | | | | | | | | | |x| | | | ~More pins

| | | | | | | | |U| |x| | | | ~

The 'U' indicates the notch and the 'x' the pin you need to cover with tape.

The pin you need to cover is the tenth one counting from the left, or the second pin over from the notch in the board. Cut out a very thin strip of tape and place it over the pin. Make sure that the pins on either side are not also covered. the conective leads on the motherboard are rather thin so it should be fine if a small portion on either edge of the pin is not covered but i doubt you'll be able to cut a piece of tape that small anyways. Just make sure the center of the pin from top to bottom is covered.

Next put the card back into the laptop. be very carefull not to push the tape out of the way as you are doing this.

now put everything else back together (don't forget the antena leads) and see if it works.

also I ran across this interesting tidbit:

3.2.4.3. PERST# Signal

The PERST# signal is de-asserted to indicate when the system power sources are within their

25 specified voltage tolerance and are stable. PERST# should be used to initialize the card functions

once power sources stabilize. PERST# is asserted when power is switched off and also can be used

by the system to force a hardware reset on the card. The system may also use PERST# to cause a

warm reset of the add-in card. Refer to the PCI Express Card Electromechanical Specification for more

details on the functional requirements for the PERST# signal.

Hi,

I believe I have the same problem with my Fujitsu Siemens S7110. I swapped out the intel wireless card for a Dell TrueMobile 1370, but was unable to get it to work.

Reading above, I see someone mentioned that if the computer is booted to Windows then rebooted to Mac the card does work. I wiped Windows off my machine already, but I'm currently downloading Ubuntu. When that downloads I will trying booting the Live CD and using the wireless, then rebooting without the CD to load Mac. After this I will play around with the Kexts again and try and get it working.

The overall aim would be to create a very cut down linux that could be quickly booted from a USB memory stick. This would activate the wireless then display a message saying remove USB stick and it would then reboot the computer.

Here is an output of what Mac see's of my card at the moment:

| |   | +-o IOPCI2PCIBridge  <class IOPCI2PCIBridge, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 8>
   | |   |   | {
   | |   |   |   "Power Management protected data" = "{ theNumberOfPowerStates = 3, version 1, power state 0 = { capabilityFlags 00000000, outputPowerCharacter 00$
   | |   |   |   "Bridge Memory Ranges" = (0,1048575)
   | |   |   |   "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily"
   | |   |   |   "IOClass" = "IOPCI2PCIBridge"
   | |   |   |   "IONameMatched" = "pci-bridge"
   | |   |   |   "IOProbeScore" = 18446744073709551516
   | |   |   |   "Power Management private data" = "{ this object = 03568800, interested driver = 03568800, driverDesire = 0, deviceDesire = 0, ourDesiredPowerSta$
   | |   |   |   "IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"
   | |   |   |   "IONameMatch" = "pci-bridge"
   | |   |   |   "Bridge IO Ranges" = (0,4095)
   | |   |   |   "IOProviderClass" = "IOPCIDevice"
   | |   |   | }
   | |   |   | 
   | |   |   +-o PXS3@0  <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 7>
   | |   |       {
   | |   |         "device-id" = <11430000>
   | |   |         "IOChildIndex" = 1
   | |   |         "name" = "pci14e4,4311"
   | |   |         "acpi-path" = "IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/RP03@1c0002/PXS3@0"
   | |   |         "IOName" = "pci14e4,4311"
   | |   |         "vendor-id" = <e4140000>
   | |   |         "revision-id" = <01000000>
   | |   |         "IOPCIResourced" = Yes
   | |   |         "subsystem-vendor-id" = <28100000>
   | |   |         "Power Management private data" = "{ this object = 03592300, interested driver = 03592300, driverDesire = 0, deviceDesire = 0, ourDesiredPowerS$
   | |   |         "IOInterruptControllers" = ("io-apic-0")
   | |   |         "Power Management protected data" = "{ theNumberOfPowerStates = 3, version 1, power state 0 = { capabilityFlags 00000000, outputPowerCharacter $
   | |   |         "acpi-reg" = <00000000>
   | |   |         "IOPCIExpressLinkStatus" = 4113
   | |   |         "IOPCIExpressLinkCapabilities" = 222225
   | |   |         "class-code" = <00800200>
   | |   |         "compatible" = <"pci1028,7","pci14e4,4311","pciclass,028000">
   | |   |         "assigned-addresses" = <1000058200000000000010f00000000000400000>
   | |   |         "subsystem-id" = <07000000>
   | |   |         "reg" = <00000500000000000000000000000000000000001000050200000000000000000000000000400
00>
   | |   |         "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<1200000007000000>)
   | |   |       }

I'm currently working on forcing card information into the IO Registry using a modified version of Natit. I'm still having trouble getting the kext to match correctly. Any help would be much appreciated. Info on where to get the latest Natit sources would be nice as well so I can try building a kext from the ground up.

Maybe I am just plain dumb here, but what does Natit have to do with wifi?

I have been able to leave my 4311 card in now without causing a kernel crash. I am still unable to get the card to power on though. Here is how I got around the kernel panic:

1. Just got a new HD so performed a fresh install with Uphuck 1.3 10.4.9 release. (Leave the card out of the laptop for now)

2. DO NOT Install the 10.4.5 80211 kext at installation.

3. Completed install as normal.

4. Applied all updates (i.e. Security Update 2007-005, Airport update, etc.)

5. Using the Uphuck 1.3 DVD install the 10.4.5 80211 kext

6. Shut down

7. Install wifi (Ubuntu recognizes the card as a "Dell Wireless 1390", Hardware ID ox14e4,4311

You will now be able to boot with the card installed and NOT get a kernel panic. Unfortunately this still does not do any good as it seems like the only way to bring the radio online is through Windows. Even Ubuntu sees the card, but can make zero use of it.

Maybe I am just plain dumb here, but what does Natit have to do with wifi?

I have been able to leave my 4311 card in now without causing a kernel crash. I am still unable to get the card to power on though. Here is how I got around the kernel panic:

1. Just got a new HD so performed a fresh install with Uphuck 1.3 10.4.9 release. (Leave the card out of the laptop for now)

2. DO NOT Install the 10.4.5 80211 kext at installation.

3. Completed install as normal.

4. Applied all updates (i.e. Security Update 2007-005, Airport update, etc.)

5. Using the Uphuck 1.3 DVD install the 10.4.5 80211 kext

6. Shut down

7. Install wifi (Ubuntu recognizes the card as a "Dell Wireless 1390", Hardware ID ox14e4,4311

You will now be able to boot with the card installed and NOT get a kernel panic. Unfortunately this still does not do any good as it seems like the only way to bring the radio online is through Windows. Even Ubuntu sees the card, but can make zero use of it.

Natit is a method of forcing entries into the IO Registry, the place where hardware information is stored by the kernel and also where kexts do their device matching. Most natit derivations are used for display detection but it can be used for other devices such as sound(ALCinject). I figure if I stuff in enough IO registry entries for the broadcom card it might force the detection of an airport device and 'jumpstart' the card. it's a long shot but it'll be good practice and it's a lot easier than trying to port some utility from linux.

I'm surprised that a major release like ubuntu doesn't support the card. i've been messing around with the sabayon linux live CD and wifi works out-of-the-box for both cards.

also, does the apple broadcom kext inside IO80211 load for you?

SJB,

Thanks for the attempt, but still no luck with the kexts you provided. While I am not getting a kernel panic with these as I do with later versions of those kexts, the Airport card is still not detected.

I am beginning to think this is NOT a problem with the card itself. I am thinking more along the lines of the mini PCI express bus is not being properly recognized. Unfortunately that is beyond my skill level to address. It would be great if one of the guru's looked into this problem. It may be something as simply adding the proper device and vendor ID to the appropriate kext file. That is totally just a guess at this point though. I suppose the clencher would be finding another mini PCI-E wifi card and testing it.

I forgot to add that i had to open System Preferences -> Network and then it said Airportcard Detected and then let you configure it. You might have tried it cause it seems like an obvios thing to try but if not maybe you will have some luck. I don't know why it wouldn't be detecting the bus but it should. I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I don't have my hackintosh in front of me right now. I'll try to look at it more later when I get off work.