OS X on my P5ld2-del (intel 945) works great! but wont boot without DVD!

5 posts in this topic

OK so Ive managed to get osx 10.4.9 up and working on my second attempt, sound video network... the lot runs really snappy and fast.

BUT for some reason I seem to be missing a MBR (master boot record), and cannot boot into OS X without the JAS 10.4.8 osx86 install DVD in the drive.

I have set the HDD as the 1st priority boot device in bios and have made it a slave but still no luck. I would reinstall OSX and start again, but I really dont want to lose all the work Ive done to make the system accept my hardware...

SO is there an easy way to fix it so I dont lose my drivers etc? I have an idea but im not sure if it will work...

I plan on getting a fresh Hard drive and clean installing OSX again, this time making sure that it boots up on its own. then, putting both of these drives in my XP machine, and using mac-drive, copy all of the data from the original install over to the fresh install. then repair permissions and see what happens. In theory (in my head) this should mean that a MBR will be created as part of the clean install, but then boot the original config w' 10.4.9 and all my drivers etc.

Will this work?

Does anyone know why I dont have an MBR in the first place? Was it because my HDD was set to master when I was installing it?

Peace

The problem is that your partition is not set as Active or Bootable

If you have Windows installed, try Acronis OS Selector and follow the instructions, it's pretty easy.

If you don't have widnwos and are using just OSX then download Hiren's BootCD and use FDISK to set the partition as active.

The problem is that your partition is not set as Active or Bootable

If you have Windows installed, try Acronis OS Selector and follow the instructions, it's pretty easy.

If you don't have widnwos and are using just OSX then download Hiren's BootCD and use FDISK to set the partition as active.

Thanks for the help, I am familiar with dos fdisk but it wont see HFS formatted partitions, so is there a specific version of fdisk or mac fdisk that will do this? also when I boot OSX it says that the partition IS bootable... :S

I am going to try my original idea and just see what happens, and will post the result

cheers

Same thing has happened after clean installing OS X on a different Hard Drive

I set it up as a slave and ran through the install as instructed and now its still got the same problem; will not boot without the DVD...

Strange? what am I doing wrong to cause this? Am i missing something when setting up the partition in Disk Utility?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Try using Hiren's boot CD. Check the "Green Demon" for a "free" version.

Once u boot from the CD, go to "Partition Magic" and from there u should be able to set your partition as bootable.

Can u provide a little info about the drivers u are using ?