Drivers for fan control on Dell Laptops

PotatoSalad

40 posts in this topic

I've got this fully working on an Dell Inspiron 9300 under Leopard. A slight fix was needed to get the kext source to compile but once that was done it works exactly like it should. If there is any interest in this still i'll post the kext.

hi if you do not want to post modified kexts can you tell us how to patch original with source diff?????

Thank you :blink:

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have an i9300 and am interested in your fix. Could you please get in touch with me and let me know how I can get it. Did you manage to get speed step working??? I would really like to get speed step working on my i9300. If anyone can send me a how to that would be great.

Thanks,

Daniel

I've solved all the issues with this driver. Problems fixed:

- Compiles in 10.5

- Automatically starts on load (Now an IOKit extension)

- GUI starts hidden

- No dock icon for GUI

- Outputs text on load (so you actually know its working)

Thanks to Kabyl and Sam for their help in fixing this.

I'll send the diffs to the author and hopefully he can provide an updated version. If I don't get a reply back from him i'll post the source code diffs.

hey Dense...

so i patched the source files, and i compiled them with xcode - where did that I8kfanDaemon come from, and where do i put it?

/Libraray/LaunchDaemons just seems too easy after all that. managed to learn a lot about 'patch', 'diff' and how to compile an extension. been at this Hackintosh thing 2 weeks - i'm kickin ass and takin names.

i have currently put the Daemon exec in /Lib/LD but i don't see it doing much during a verbose boot.

• 2 months later...

I went ahead and compiled the kext, gui and daemon. works flawlessly on my inspiron 6400. Not sure if i should post the binaries here or what. i know people are interested in them so if you want them send me a pm and i'll try and get them to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so it appears the original author (PotatoSalad) has pretty much abandoned this project. And in my free time I have been working on it for my own use. I have seen many of you guys requesting the compiled binaries so here they are. I8Kfanstuff.zip

Just so you know the daemon that it comes with is useless. PotatoSalad scrapped the idea and the kext works with the gui. So far the only changes I have made is applied the patch to the kext and gui source that Dense wrote. Oh yeah and I enabled automatic fan control by default because the Gui does not save settings.

Update 12-28-2012

-------------------------

The drives on my colo box that hosted the link above failed a while ago and that box is no longer active. I didn't perform any backups because that server was just a place for my personal emails and some random files i didn't care about very much. The link is dead at this point but if anybody has the original files and could send them to me that would be great. If received I will put them back up for use.

Ok so it appears the original author (PotatoSalad) has pretty much abandoned this project. And in my free time I have been working on it for my own use. I have seen many of you guys requesting the compiled binaries so here they are. I8Kfanstuff.zip

Just so you know the daemon that it comes with is useless. PotatoSalad scrapped the idea and the kext works with the gui. So far the only changes I have made is applied the patch to the kext and gui source that Dense wrote. Oh yeah and I enabled automatic fan control by default because the Gui does not save settings.

Well thank you! It works well on a Dell Studio 1535 laptop :)

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the .kext file, rebooted and started i8kfangui, the temp sensors work, but I can't control the fans.

Inspiron 1525, Kalyway updated to 10.5.5, VoodooPower also running, and some other things around power control if that affects anything.

Any clues, how to find out why it isn't working?

Tried gui v02 PotatoeSalad's site, but no luck with that one, either...

If I click on the Off/Low/High buttons under Status, the button changes its status immediately.

I installed the .kext file, rebooted and started i8kfangui, the temp sensors work, but I can't control the fans.

Inspiron 1525, Kalyway updated to 10.5.5, VoodooPower also running, and some other things around power control if that affects anything.

If I click on the Off/Low/High buttons under Status, the button changes its status immediately.

Yeah to be honest that part of it does not work very well just yet. I recently purchased a new MBP and have been playing with that for the past couple of weeks. I will have a look at it when I get home and see if I cant put up a fix for it.

Yeah to be honest that part of it does not work very well just yet. I recently purchased a new MBP and have been playing with that for the past couple of weeks. I will have a look at it when I get home and see if I cant put up a fix for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Update (May 13, 2007 09:24:21 EDT): I completely rewrote the driver in C and renamed it from IOI8KFan.kext to simply I8kfan.kext. It uses the BSD sysctl to communicate with other things because I'm lazy and this route was the easiest I could figure out.

I also wrote a small app with the unoriginal name of I8kfanGUI. Using the application to monitor the CPU temperature, my Inspiron 5100 went from running at 60�C to hovering between 38�C to 43�C.

Read more about the driver and the application here.

If anyone has any experience on writing low-level drivers for Mac OS X, please lemme know.

PotatoSalad, could you add x86_64 arch into your driver? I tried the driver from code.google and it does not support

64 bit mode. here are the outputs,

bash-3.2# kextload -v I8kfan.kext
Requesting load of /Users/zxzhaohui/Desktop/fancontrol/I8kfan.kext.
/Users/zxzhaohui/Desktop/fancontrol/I8kfan.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
bash-3.2# kextutil I8kfan.kext
Warnings: 
Executable does not contain code for architecture: 
	x86_64

Can't load I8kfan.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
Failed to load I8kfan.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.

• 5 months later...