ORIGINAL bootable marklar-tiger.iso DVD working?

quizzle

53 posts in this topic

Hrmmm.... I Tryed your method of just patching the oah file and got an error about loading some NVIDIA extensions (I'm running a 6800 Ultra OC). So I dled the Darwin iso like the other instructions told and copied the extensions folder into the extensions folder of the Tiger ISO (not replacing anything). It got past the nvidia error but then ended up just stopping when it was talking about some sort of oah shared cach or something.

>:(

I wont get my results in until wednesday (bits arriving!!)but ive ordered all the hackintosh $199 parts which is supposed to have the components of the developers machine but my hard drive is ide so will try just patchin the oah and get back to ya.

Actually yes, though I did't convert to iso.

My machine configuration

Celeron 530J (has SSE3)

512 MB RAM

Intel D915GAV http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/

Harddisks on PATA

Generic USB-DVD Recordser

The $10 kind of Mouse & Keyboard on USB

[

Well, this is what I actually have, soon.

So, does this DVD, he created exist as a torrent ?

Kin

I wont get my results in until wednesday (bits arriving!!)but ive ordered all the hackintosh $199 parts which is supposed to have the components of the developers machine but my hard drive is ide so will try just patchin the oah and get back to ya.

i am using ide hard drive and dvd drive with my dvd. i am getting a 'hackintosh' asrock board wed. so ill be able to test it with this dvd. it works fine on my gigabyte 8i915duoa except for sound and ethernet. ill put a torrent up for this install disc either today or after i make sure the sound,eth, and all that are supported for the 'hackintosh'.

EDIT: we need a OS X Install Dvd -Hackintosh Edition

I have all the right parts, but am getting stuck at the black screen with a blinking cursor... any suggestions?

I did this install method, went through the DVD and it looked as if it was all installing poperly...then - nothing.

Celeron D 2.66

D915GAG

512 Ram

40gb Seagate HDD

joneSi

7) shutdown, attached the HD I'd liked to install to, booted the dvd and followed the instructions. Selected MacOSX HFS+ (journaled) as target filesystem. The installtion process itself: flawless.

That's it. Now I have QuartzExtreme, CoreImage and OpenGL working, 70 GB free space and it's absolutely faboulous!

Note: In my fresh install, the TCPA Kernel extension doesn't seem to hog the CPU anymore, so there was no need to remove it. I am not sure if that is due to the "better" oah750d or simply because I have less tweaks now.

I do have some questions regarding this:

Does the resulting DVD boot on an x86 machine?

I assume that you used a PPC Mac to do the install, if so how did you get the X86 PC boot code onto the disk so that the PC will boot?

An x86 PC bios uses a different partition table and boot method to a Mac. Are you saying that the installer handles all this?

I'm interested in doing a similar thing but have a much more involved method of creating the image to burn to dvd, which produces an x86 PC bootable DVD.

I do have some questions regarding this:

Does the resulting DVD boot on an x86 machine?

I assume that you used a PPC Mac to do the install, if so how did you get the X86 PC boot code onto the disk so that the PC will boot?

No. (And I think I wrote this) I've used deadmoo's vmware image, which dd'ed onto a physical harddisk.

I have all the right parts, but am getting stuck at the black screen with a blinking cursor... any suggestions? 

I did this install method, went through the DVD and it looked as if it was all installing poperly...then - nothing.

Celeron D 2.66

D915GAG

512 Ram

40gb Seagate HDD

joneSi

"Blinking cursor" isn't really an appropriate problem description. When does that happen? When you reboot and the BIOS screen disappears? I found that I can't boot from some of my scrap HD's, if they were attached to the 80-wire UDMA ribbon cable that comes with your board. For example, I have a Fujitsu with a GRUB loader that says "GRUB " and nothing else and a 80Meg WD with a DOS loader that shows just a blinking cursor.

Also I would suggest that you review your BIOS settings (press F2 on the boot screen).

I've turned SATA off in the disk menu (There is an option "PATA only" somewhere), because I found that scanning non-existant SATA drives takes quite a while...And have a look a the "boot device" section and make sure that your board doesn't try to boot from the floppy disk before the harddisk.

Also, disable "quiet boot" (to see the POST messages instead of the stupid boot gfx), and try disabling "fast boot".

"Blinking cursor" isn't really an appropriate problem description. When does that happen? When you reboot and the BIOS screen disappears? I found that I can't boot from some of my scrap HD's, if they were attached to the 80-wire UDMA ribbon cable that comes with your board. For example, I have a Fujitsu with a GRUB loader that says "GRUB "  and nothing else and a 80Meg WD with a DOS loader that shows just a blinking cursor.

Also I would suggest that you review your BIOS settings (press F2 on the boot screen).

I've turned SATA off in the disk menu (There is an option "PATA only" somewhere), because I found that scanning non-existant SATA drives takes quite a while...And have a look a the "boot device" section and make sure that your board doesn't try to boot from the floppy disk before the harddisk.

Also, disable "quiet boot" (to see the POST messages instead of the stupid boot gfx), and try disabling "fast boot".

Ok...well I have gone through the BIOS and shut off SATA. The floppy has been disabled as I don't have one. Disabled fast boot, and quiet boot. I have used a patched DVD to install on the machine on the 40gb seagate, finishes the install without issue.

After the BIOS screen it has a black screen with a "_" that is white and blinking. It will do that endlessly.

What is left to try? New HDD. New Cable (even though I can install on the HDD now)? Thoughts or ideas?

joneSi

What is left to try?  New HDD.  New Cable (even though I can install on the HDD now)?  Thoughts or ideas?

joneSi

Yep, plug in an old 40 connector IDE cable. I have no idea why, but it seems that some HD models work but don't boot from 80 connector cables. This has nothing to do with MacOSX. Actually, this morning a colleague who tried to install Windows XP to an old 40 gig IBM HD had the same problem. Installation went through, but boot hung. Replacing the 80 connector cable with a 40 connector one worked.

Yep, plug in an old 40 connector IDE cable. I have no idea why, but it seems that some HD models work but don't boot from 80 connector cables. This has nothing to do with MacOSX. Actually, this morning a colleague who tried to install Windows XP to an old 40 gig IBM HD had the same problem. Installation went through, but boot hung. Replacing the 80 connector cable with a 40 connector one worked.

The other thing is that I tried to DD the drive earlier on windows using a program. Instead of skipping 63 sectors, I told it 1 by accident...don't ask how :S Anyway, I'm thinking the MBR portion of the drive is toast because of that DD. I was going to try a brand spanking new HDD. Or I would try to install XP to see if I have the same problem. I'm betting its that. Like I said OS X installs and it looks as if its all good..

Do the new drives have the same problems as the old...(that drive is at least two years old).

Thanks,

joneSi

OTHER IDEAS:

Do I need different drivers from the Darwin 8.01 iso?

Does TPMACPI.kext need to be deleted. I can hook this drive back up to my OS X machine using a firewire enclosure to change it around....maybe that would help?

The ONLY file that I patched was oah750d (patched over oah750)...thougths?

joneSi

cp -p oah750d "/Volumes/Mac OSX Install Disk/usr/libexec/oah"
chmod 755 "/Volumes/Mac OSX Install Disk/usr/libexec/oah/oah705d"

Ok lets clear something up here....I think the install DVD is ALMOST right...but I'm following these instructions to the letter...

-OR-

cp -p oah750d "/Volumes/Mac OSX Install Disk/usr/libexec/oah750"

-OR-

cp -p oah750d "/Volumes/Mac OSX Install Disk/usr/libexec/oah750d

notice the differences at the end with oah portion of file...

and then

chmod 755 "/Volumes/Mac OSX Install Disk/usr/libexec/oah/oah705d"

-OR-

chmod 755 "/Volumes/Mac OSX Install Disk/usr/libexec/oah/oah750d"

-OR-

chmod 755 "/Volumes/Mac OSX Install Disk/usr/libexec/oah/oah705"

Just trying to clarify because if its different then that could make me hang because I've still got the original oah750 file on the dvd in addition to another oah750d file in the /libexec/oah folder...

Just for the record I did:

where "Mac OSX Install Disk" was dragged and dropped from desktop to terminal

That might give some ideas as to what I did....

joneSi

Been reading these forums for some time now and sitting in the #osx86 IRC channel and not one person using any other chipset based motherboard has had any success whatsoever.

If that statement is in error then by all means share with us your methodology for creating or patching a DVD so that the rest of us non-915 mobo owners can get in on the fun.

:D

bb

If this is the case, how does anyone run this thing without a 915 chipset?

The DVD is just a base OSX installation, which then starts the installer, so whatever can be done to a booting installation can be done to the DVD.

BTW I have not been able to get OSx86 to install on my machine, regardless of the method used.

It keeps kernel panicing.

GOT IT. I would be typing on the Hackintosh right now...but I need wireless...any ideas on a compat. card?

joneSi

edit: Sorry...got it by using a NEW hard drive...THANK YOU Maxtor. It runs pretty good. I had to take some ram for another desktop...so its running 256mb right now. I'll have it all cranked up in a bit. Those instructions may work for the 915 chipset only, I'm not sure.

joneSi

I have supported hardware so i'm tryin to make an install DVD.

everything works exactly as you say till i reach this point.

i type in:

And Terminal tells me that no such file of directory exists.

so i check out the Mounted Image and there is no usr folder in there.

i don't know what i'm doing wrong.... i have the pheNIX release... so i assume it's the right image.

ANY info would be much appreicated.

I have supported hardware so i'm tryin to make an install DVD.

everything works exactly as you say till i reach this point.

i type in:

And Terminal tells me that no such file of directory exists.

so i check out the Mounted Image and there is no usr folder in there.

i don't know what i'm doing wrong.... i have the pheNIX release... so i assume it's the right image.

ANY info would be much appreicated.

You need to point the command to the location of the patched oah750d... you can drag and drop the patched oah750d into the terminal at this point:

cp -p __________________

after that then continue by dragging and dropping the location of /usr/libexec/oah of the mounted read write image that you made and then hit enter. Do this by accessing it through the desktop and going to the FOLDER but not the oah750d actual file.

Then -presto- it should work.

But you gotta make sure you are pointing the commands at the right places :)

joneSi

yes.... ok... that makes sence.

but i believe my problem is there is no /usr folder in my mounted disk image.

would this not be showing up because i'm not logged in as root?

i'm not too sure how to do that.

Hmmmm...well no you don't have to be logged in as root. I'm not at the location of my hackintosh or my iBook right now. But check /system/library/ for the usr folder. Just an idea.

joneSi

The /usr folder in root is a hidden directory, simple. That's why it doesn't show up in a regular ls statement.

.vol, bin, dev, private, sbin and usr won't show up with normal ls commands.

bb

There you go. Cd to the volume that is mounted by doing this:

cd <drag-drop volume here> [enter]

then

sudo ls

should see usr/

then

sudo cd usr/liblibexec/oah

That should show that it is

I guess you could use a haxie to show hidden files and folders temporarily...

joneSi