ORIGINAL bootable marklar-tiger.iso DVD working?

quizzle

53 posts in this topic

Has anyone got the ORIGINAL Developers DVD (marklar-tiger.dmg converted to .iso) working as a bootable install disc?

I followed the bootable install disc guide from MacIntelGuy and I've gotten it to a gray apple screen with a rotating icon which just spins forever. It *should* be possible to just install this from a bootable DVD, just like in the original developer's transition kit. The TPM has been bypassed (supposedly); I've applied patches - it should just "work".

My setup:

Pentium 4 2.4ghz with SSE3

Abit IC7-MAX3 (intel 875P chipset) with builtin AC97 audio

512MB DDR ram

video: GeForceFX 5400 AGP-card

2 IDE HDDs, DVD+RW drive, CD drive

I've been burning various builds of the iso onto a DVD rewritable disc. It boots, but only gets to the gray apple screen. I've tried -v and -x, doesn't work. I tried disabling Serial ATA controller and a few other things in the BIOS, doesn't work. The output on the screen when I use -v indicates that there is a crash in malloc - trying to VM-allocate lots and LOTS of memory, which obviously I don't have.

It finds the root device, gets an ethernet MAC address, etc.

I wonder if this is because it's assuming that I have a hard drive partition set up for swap or something?

I don't want to mess with the hassle of PearPC, VMWare, Linux, or anything else - there IS a guide for setting up a bootable install Tiger x86 DVD, so you'd think SOMEONE has it working.

MacIntelGuy, or Anyone? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Has anyone got the ORIGINAL Developers DVD (marklar-tiger.dmg converted to .iso) working as a bootable install disc?

I followed the bootable install disc guide from MacIntelGuy and I've gotten it to a gray apple screen with a rotating icon which just spins forever. It *should* be possible to just install this from a bootable DVD, just like in the original developer's transition kit.  The TPM has been bypassed (supposedly); I've applied patches - it should just "work".

My setup:

Pentium 4 2.4ghz with SSE3

Abit IC7-MAX3 (intel 875P chipset) with builtin AC97 audio

512MB DDR ram

video: GeForceFX 5400 AGP-card

2 IDE HDDs, DVD+RW drive, CD drive

I've been burning various builds of the iso onto a DVD rewritable disc.  It boots, but only gets to the gray apple screen.  I've tried -v and -x, doesn't work. I tried disabling Serial ATA controller and a few other things in the BIOS, doesn't work.  The output on the screen when I use -v indicates that there is a crash in malloc - trying to VM-allocate lots and LOTS of memory, which obviously I don't have. 

It finds the root device, gets an ethernet MAC address, etc.

I wonder if this is because it's assuming that I have a hard drive partition set up for swap or something?

I don't want to mess with the hassle of PearPC, VMWare, Linux, or anything else - there IS a guide for setting up a bootable install Tiger x86 DVD, so you'd think SOMEONE has it working.

MacIntelGuy, or Anyone?  Suggestions?

Thanks!

The error where it sits at the gray screen would be because of your IDE drives. If you have an SSE3 machine just patch Rosetta and since you have IDE drives add the IOATAFamily.kext from Darwin. I just had to patch Rosetta (SSE3+SATA drives) and I installed directly via the OS X installer.

Im having the same trouble. When I boot off the DVD I made after patching it with everything that the guide told me except the CoreGraphics files (which i could not find at the time) I get the rotating grey circle. Eventually my computer just stops loading. When i try to boot using -v , the last few lines before things just stop is:

Systm/Library/Frameworks/applications/services.framework/versions/A/Frameworks/coregraohics.framework/Resorces/DMProxis: theErr=-21[line.... ect ect

So its getting an error and i think it has to do with core graphics. Any info on how to fix this?

gonna try another dvd . ive just put the files from the darwin extensions folder in the appropriate folder on the iso , and the ioata for using ata drive. i have a sse3 cpu so i dont need coregraphics patch. is that all i need?? i dont need the oah750d or ds bundle do i ? i cant find anything saying what there for

Im having the Same exact Problems as quizzle. Please! Dose anyone have ANY sugestions on how to make this work. The Instructions we are bothe following are these:

=== THIRD SOLUTION MAKING A BOOTABLE DVD (WINDOWS) ===

1. Convert .dmg to .iso....

--------------------

How to convert from .dmg to .iso:

Windows

1. Install UltraISO (you can get it here: http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/)

2. Now run UltraISO Start->Programs->UltraISO->UltraISO

4. After that go to Tools->Convert

5. Input Marklar-Tiger.dmg

6. Output your file to where you want it.

6. Make sure Standard ISO is selected.

7. Click Convert and now your done.

---------------------

2. Patch the ISO with this:

---------------------

blex0rs sse3 patch: SSE3Patcher.exe or SSE3Patcher.zip

[DMCA Violation Edited by Hagar]

---------------------

3. Download Darwin Install iso

---------------------

http://www.opendarwin.org/downloads...nx86-801.iso.gz

---------------------

4. Open the file through WinRAR

5. Browse to System/Library/ in the iso.

6. Drag the extensions folder out into a temporary folder in Windows.

Remember where you placed this for later.

7. Now open up the Mac OS x86 install dvd iso in TransMac (http://www.asy.com/sharetm.htm)

8. Browse to System/Library/Extensions in Transmac.

9. Delete IOATAFamily.kext from the Tiger ISO in Transmac.

10. Find the temporary folder with the extensions folder from earlier (from Darwin) in and browse into it.

11. Drag all the folders (first entry should be called ACard62xxM.kext) from the top section ("PC drive") of TransMac into the bottem section ("Mac drive"). Most of these folders are probably not neccessary, until we have narrowed them down all of them will be copied.

12. REMEMBER TO SELECT NO when it asks to replace a file.

13. Now add the folowing files to the ISO:

---------------------

CoreGraphics - [DMCA Violation Edited by Hagar]

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/

oah750d - [[DMCA Violation Edited by Hagar]

/usr/libexec/oah/

DS.Bundle - [DMCA Violation Edited by Hagar]

System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/lookupd/Agents

IOHDIXController.kext - [DMCA Violation Edited by Hagar]

/system/library/extensions

----------------------

14. Close Transmac and burn!

CREDIT GOES TO: MacIntelGuy

Hi,

Same errors here. I tried ALL possible methods to get a bootable DVD (be it patching the original ISO DVD or creating a bootable DVD from scratch) and it fails miserably loading DMProxy with crash code (note the original crash has references to oah750d...).

Fails miserable on a non-SATA machine (i.e. a plain old Parallel ATA disk), be it in VMware (P4 Xeon HT), or on a physical box (P4 Xeon HT or P4 HT).

I tried different level of patching, and (as I had SSE3 machines) it is clear you need to do the Extensions part (otherwise, no PATA boot and unknown ACPI machine, no boot).

You also need the oah patch otherwise, well boot process stops quite early (no match message).

Once I touch the extensions AND apply the oah patch, then the DVD is toasted (hum), well does not boot, trap at DMProxy and whatever method used to create it does not matter (from Linux, from Windows, from a Mac - the patching steps end up being the same).

One last comment. Don't waste time burning DVDs (be it RW). VMware cannot boot the ISO file directly (boot fails miserable with hfs_mountroot error: 5 - a read write error). The problem is VMware handling of an HFS ISO. To boot from an ISO directly in VMware, install Daemon Tools (Windows only), mount the ISO with Deamon Tools and map VMware virtual CD drive to the Deamon Tools drive. It does work very well (read: any Install DVD I tried crashed consistently at the same point in VMware and on a physical machine. So for now I stopped burning DVDs and I test VMware only).

Come on: anyone can tell us why a SATA machie can boot the DVD and not a PATA machine?

i'm having trouble creating a bootable DVD as well. I am following the above posted guide to creating a bootable DVD, but once i've created the dvd all i get upon boot is, "This machine is not supported by Darwin/x86"

My machine is an intel 2.6 (supports see2).

i would really like to get this working, since i'm not smart enought to figure out the dd {censored} to get my image over onto my 3rd partition.

Actually yes, though I did't convert to iso.

My machine configuration

Celeron 530J (has SSE3)

512 MB RAM

Intel D915GAV http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/

Harddisks on PATA

Generic USB-DVD Recordser

The $10 kind of Mouse & Keyboard on USB

Note: This all worked so well for me, because I had the matching hardware. If want to follow this, you should make sure that you have: no PS/2 peripherials, only USB (PS/2 unsupported in the original install), a SSE3 capable CPU (i.e. >=Prescott core: yes. Any P4 Northwood, Athlon-XP, Pentium-M: no!) and an Intel board with integrated GPU (GMA900, not sure what else would work). Don't know if SATA works. If you have a problem with this method, please post your machine configration as well and find out which instruction set your CPU uses.

After getting the system running with the 6-gig tiger-x86-flat.img, it turned out that I had no QuartzExtreme support (and no CoreImage and OpenGL, which crashes the machine if you start chess for example. Yes, I replaced the original CoreGraphics), even though my machine is that pretty close to the actual developer machines (P660, D915GUX boards allegedly) deadmoo's tweakes for his machine obviously broke something on mine.

So I decided to patch the Marklar-Tiger.dmg from the running MacOSX I had right now and see what I get. (Forgive me, if get the actial path names wrong, but my "Mac" isn't here right now, so I can't look it up)

Here is what I did: First I attached a (USB-)DVD Recorder to my "Mac" and a second hard disk, because I need the space. Initialized the second HD and copied Marklar-Tiger.dmg to it.

1) Next I became root. ("su"). By default the root account is disabled in MacOSX, so you need to start the Netinfo utility beforehand, which has a menu option to enable the root account. (Booting into single user mode sucked for me, because I have a non-US keyboard)

2) The Marklar-Tiger.dmg is in a compressed, readonly format. I had to convert it into something changeable (this takes a bit..):

hdiutil convert Marklar-Tiger.dmg -format UDRW -o MT-UDRW.dmg

See the manpage for hdiutil (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/D.../hdiutil.1.html) for details.

3) Next I mounted the new disk image readwrite

hdiutil attach MT-UDRW.dmg -readwrite

This mounts the install disk as a HFS+ volume under "/Volumes/Mac OSX Install Disk" (I don't remember what the original name was. You can give a mount point to hciutil if you like)

4) Then I replaced oah750d in the install disk with a patched oah750d. (Please note the quotes)

cp -p oah750d "/Volumes/Mac OSX Install Disk/usr/libexec/oah"
chmod 755 "/Volumes/Mac OSX Install Disk/usr/libexec/oah/oah705d"

The -p switch and the chmod: to preserve the original owner and permissions.

Actually I took the oah750d somebody posted as "better patch" to concretesurf.co.nz (which seems to be defunct now..), I didn't try the oah750d from my VMWARE image.

Replacing anything else was not neccesary for me

5) Unmounted the image

hdiutil detach "Volumes/Mac OSX Install Disk"

6) Burned the image to a new DVD:

hdiutil burn MT-UDRW.dmg

7) shutdown, attached the HD I'd liked to install to, booted the dvd and followed the instructions. Selected MacOSX HFS+ (journaled) as target filesystem. The installtion process itself: flawless.

That's it. Now I have QuartzExtreme, CoreImage and OpenGL working, 70 GB free space and it's absolutely faboulous!

Note: In my fresh install, the TCPA Kernel extension doesn't seem to hog the CPU anymore, so there was no need to remove it. I am not sure if that is due to the "better" oah750d or simply because I have less tweaks now.

The Links do not work becase the instructions were copied and paseted from the other major tiger on x86 fourm. The one that is down right now due to badnwidth restrictions. The patches are still avable. The most readily avalible one is blex0rs sse3 patch. Someone send me a rar suposedly containing the oah750d, DS.Bundle, and IOHDIXController.kext patches. It did not contain anything pertaining to the CoreGraphics patch these instructions refer to. I belive that since i did not apply the Core Graphics Patch, this is why it isnt working.

Again, any information where these patches are still avalible would be awsome!

In the meantime, using the ferensic aquisition version of dd.exe, I sucessfuly wrote the tiger-x86-flat.img to a spare IDE HD and sucessfully booted off of it.

mmmmm....

interesting method!

I have the deadmoo image installed in one partition on my HD ( With XP and 2 linux partitions)

I´l´try to modify the DVD dmg with your method to change the kenel for SSE2 support via Maxxus kernel + other updates, without patching CoreGraphics......

I could install the VMWARE image on my Samsum P40 laptop and it was running. Now I patched the developer DVD with the SSE3-to-SSE2 patches, patched TPM and added the extension. When trying to install, I also get the DMPROXY error... could this be related to the graphic card in the system?

Mike

This is a very important topic that needs to be ressurected. I am uploading the patch files I've collected to rapidshare and will post them shortly so we can work on this.

First off, where did you guys find the bootable DVD guide posted above?

Secondly, I have been working on this for some time. I am have the same "Hardware configuration not compatible with Darwin", and I have applied both the SSE3PAtcher and oahd files as described above, as well as a host of the other more recent patches, and I still get the same incompatible hardware error. Has anyone with sse2 only successfully patched the iso, and if so, how, and what patches did you apply.

Thank you.

This is a very important topic that needs to be ressurected. I am uploading the patch files I've collected to rapidshare and will post them shortly so we can work on this.

Secondly, I have been working on this for some time. I am have the same "Hardware configuration not compatible with Darwin", and I have applied both the SSE3PAtcher and oahd files as described above, as well as a host of the other more recent patches, and I still get the same incompatible hardware error. Has anyone with sse2 only successfully patched the iso, and if so, how, and what patches did you apply.

Thank you.

Very important things that axan just said there so I'll just clarify it a bit:

The simplest thing to remember above and beyond anything else is:

If you don't have an Intel 915 based chipset mobo you're not going to be able to boot from that DVD whether it's the original one or one you've patched yourself.

Been reading these forums for some time now and sitting in the #osx86 IRC channel and not one person using any other chipset based motherboard has had any success whatsoever.

If that statement is in error then by all means share with us your methodology for creating or patching a DVD so that the rest of us non-915 mobo owners can get in on the fun.

:blink:

bb

Thank you for that, finally some answers. Looks like the deadmoo image/VMWare->native is going to be the only way until the whole chipset thing is resolved.

Anyway, here are the patches as promised, if anyone still wants to try:

http://rapidshare.de/files/4161527/patches...tended.rar.html

There must be a way to fix the chipset issue, if OSX will run native by other methods. I imagine there must be a way to remove the hardware check on the DVD. I will keep this thread updated with any info i find.

Thank you.

I've got an sse3 system, not sure on the chipset, so this may not apply.

I'm getting the same dmproxy errors that StickyBoot was getting. As for the patches, i just ripped the files out of the deadmoo image.

I also was able to get more success with copying the whole system/library/extension from deadmoo's image over to the AppleDev DVD.

Any insight as to what causes the dmproxy? Is it a problem with my oah patch and file permissions?

Im interested in that method 2.

I have all the correct parts a eg,sse3 processor, 915 motherboard, 900 chipset, etc

so all i need to do is patch the oah file?

Correct?

Cheers

etc=USB keyboard & mouse. PATA HDD..I'm not sure what effect the non-915 components on your board will have. For example, my intel board has 82562 Ethernet (and Network works..) and the Realtek ALC860 codec (I currently have sound output but input doesn't seem to work right out of the box)- I dont't know if that will effect the installation process. I also haven't tried a different manufacturer yet, could be that it won't work if the installer runs on a ASUS board or whatever. So I'm curious to hear about your results.