Broadcom 570x and 575x

ohpossum

936 posts in this topic

Hi, i've got an 169c

Its a Broadcom 5788 ethernet adapter.

My laptop its a Acer Aspire 2023. Anyone have sucessfuly make this NIC work?

Thanks,

oh i cant make it work :S

my hardware ids are:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_169C&SUBSYS_00611025&REV_03

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_169C&SUBSYS_00611025

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_169C&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_169C&CC_0200

• 2 weeks later...

I've read so much of this thread and others that I'm beginning to get confused about what's going on. It's all a blur...

I'm running a Dell Optiplex GX620 with Broadcom 5701 onboard gigabit. Do we have a working solution for this yet? I'm confused about what's actually working and what isn't.

Thanks

My 169C works!

i downloaded Nisa-it's kext file and manualy aded my device id(169c).

Thanks!

---

EDIT: i Rebooted and now it doesnt work anymore, i didnt change anything

sudo dmesg shows:

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 169c getAdapterInfo - Device is unknown

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up

:)

Hi hackers!

I have a Dell Precision M70 laptop with this chip.

Info about my card:

$ lspci -n
02:00.0 0200: 14e4:1677 (rev 01)

$ lspci
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)

The problem

The card is detected just fine, and I get an IP-address from DHCP, but I cannot ping or connect to anything! The MAC-address is still 00-00-00-00-00 and when I try to change it using "ifconfig en0 ether xx-xx-xx-xx-xx" the whole computer freezes and I have to shutdown using the power button. I suspect that the switch won't let me communicate since my MAC is 00-00-00-00-00 which is considered invalid.

Anyone with an idea how to set mac-address or have the driver detect the correct ethernet address?

Kind regards,

jajo

I used the SetMac script to automaticly set a macadress and now it works!

Search for setmac in this topic.

Did you also suffer from "hangups" while doing the "ifconfig en0 ether xx-xx-xx-xx-xx" manually?

If setmac does that ifconfig command, my computer would probably crash forever.

/ jajo

Confirmed - i opened SetMac-script and all it does is running the ifconfig-command. Warning if anyone has the same problem as I do - installing SetMac will probably make the computer hang at startup.

What we need is the MAC-address to be detected while the driver is loaded. Has anyone managed to get the MAC-address correctly without setting it manually afterwards or use SetMac?

/ jajo

I TOO am cooking with my 5701 following the step by step instructions for using a 5705 on a Dell Latitude D600. The Hex value is 1649 (which is 5701 in Hex; I did no see anyone specifically state this, so I'm going to maybe someone some time trying to figure out HEIR model ID in Hex). Thank you ual808 for posting your recipe; THAT was the ticket. I think followed the other instructions for clearing the kextcache stuff, and it came up with neworking. I have just put the SetMAC script in my startup folder to see if that will set the mac on start up as well.

Now if I can JUST get one of my wireless cards working.. I'd be giddy.

Hello people i have a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ether net (BCM 5788)

And it don't work on my OSx, im using a JaS 10.4.6 patched dvd.

I can't make network working :( i'm trying about 4weeks and nothing, can someone helpme please!!!!

network4so.png

I have a builtin BCM 5751 (id: 1677) in my Shuttle PC, and thus far have been unable to have it recognized.

- First I tried downloading the pre-patched module

- Then I tried hex editing the 5701 kext by hand using the instructions provided earlier

Making sure to put 1677 in place of the other value

And adding the device id 1677 to the Info.plist

- Both situations I get get the following (form dmesg):

AppleBCM5701Ethernet:		0	 1677 getAdapterInfo - Device is unknown
AppleBCM5701Ethernet:		0		0 start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up
IOCommandGate::disable() called when not gated
Backtrace 0x38a65c 0x251b864a 0x3acadc 0x3acbad 0x37f3b3 0x37ebb9 0x380302
  Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
	 com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet(2.1.0d21)@0x251b7000
		dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.5.0)@0x24662000
		dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(1.8)@0x2007a000
IOCommandGate::disable() called when not gated
Backtrace 0x38a65c 0x251b864a 0x3acadc 0x3acbad 0x37f3b3 0x37ebb9 0x380302
  Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
	 com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet(2.1.0d21)@0x251b7000
		dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.5.0)@0x24662000
		dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(1.8)@0x2007a000

Any input on this situation would be greatly appriciated, and thanks for all the hard work thus far.

-- TJ

Nisa, your driver don't work on my BCM 5788 why can you helpme?

THanks

A good idea might be to describe your problem better - what is not working? Is your card detected or not? If it is detected, is the problem related to MAC-address problems? Just saying it is not working is not helping anyone...

/ jajo

Hello,

Just read most of this thread ;)

I have Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet 16A6. Have patched and it is now showing up as ethernet card. Problem is MAC is all zero's as others have said, therefore no Net access.Is there a solution to this? Will SetMAC work?

Ate.

Will SetMAC work?

Ate.

Maybe, maybe not!

You MUST test this before installing SetMac:

1) Open up a terminal and type "sudo su" (then type your password)

2) Type "ifconfig -a" and look for a line beginning with enX (where X is a network card id, normally 0 for the Broadcom)

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 
	media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
	supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>

3) In my case, en0 was the correct network device name. So, I try setting the mac using ifconfig by typing "ifconfig en0 ether 12:ab:12:ab:12:ab" (look up your mac-adress in windows/linux first!)

IF your computer hangs, you cannot use SetMac since it would crash your computer every time you boot it. You will have to live with zero-ip for now until someone finds out why this happens. I can use my computer at home, but not at my friends place or at my parents.

IF it didn't hang, type the ifconfig -a again and see if ether has changed from 00:00:00:00:00 - if it did you can safely install SetMac and enjoy your network card.

/ jajo

yes guys, also i have got bcm5789 and i can't found anythin for this card in forum. i tried hater's and tinhead's method but no result. in the network prefences window, built-in-ethrnet shown but grayed out. how can i test it and learn/set mac address

thnx for everything ...

Hi everyone!

I use Nisa-it's file, but my card still do not work.

Any suggestion?

My card is BCM5789 .

"dmesg | grep BCM" showed:

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 Start - mapping device memory failed

Thanks.

I get the same thing with my 5789. I thought the binary hack was suposed to supress memory checks for the card. Or perhaps the card is too different from the rest of the broadcom chips? I would think an additional hack would be able to point the kext in the right direction or stop this memory check as well.

I would love to be able to get my lapy functional to the point that i can at least browse the web.