Broadcom 570x and 575x

ohpossum

936 posts in this topic

Great job! Nisa!

It works with my thinkpad z60t (with broadcom 5751).

In previous, I always need to set the MAC address by ifconfig command to get DHCP. Now, it cna work when the system boot up! However, the MAC address is still 00:00:00:00:00:00

Thank you for your great job!

ps. Could tell us how you make the patch?

:) well I appreciate the work on the driver nisa, but I experience an nvram sanity failure with your driver, is it perhaps a 10.4.5 related incompatability (are you on 10.4.6)? my device ID is 1677 as well, i wonder whats up..

i can post a snippet containing the backtrace if you like?

So, I got my card to work using the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip and it seemed to work fine. I was able to get an IP address and ping stuff within my network.

he problem I have is that my MAC is set to all zero's. I tried to follow the instructions to do the ifconfig en0 ether 00:11:11:F:FF:FF (Not really mine) and everytime I run that command, the computer freezes and I have to restart it. I have let it run for hours, still no change.

Anyone know anything abou thtat that can help me out?

Thanks,

Ben

So i read 3 threads and tried pretty much everything and every combination i could think of. My device is a little different because it is an onboard broadcom 5751 on a shuttle xpc (PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_169D&SUBSYS_FD311297&REV_11\4&1B41B794&0&00E0).

I tried to just hex it but no where in the AppleBCM5701Ethernet could i find the hex values runing a search, or quick skiming. i also tried both of nisas with no luck, asuming it has the wrong dev id?

Could someone either toss me some hexed files, or give me some info on what i might be doing wrong.

I hate to request help on my first post but i guess i cant help it.

Thanks

Hi everybody,

1. Thanks to Nisa-it to confirm the solution... and to Luccio...

Just use Nisa-it's files, with Luccios's instructions...

I confirm that 'ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kex' is not required...

2. Then, for me, little big progress... should be usefull for someone...

It's working, sometimes, on my Dell Inspiron 600m with 10.4.6 and my "Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller", VenId: 14e4, DevId: 16a6.

My advice : check your dmesg message.

'dmesg' or '/var/log/system.log' output file.

You should verify several things...

For me :

a ) AppleBCM5701Ethernet: 0 0 start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up

b ) AppleBCM5751Ethernet ethernet adress 00:00:00:00:00

c ) en0 link active...

Then, I just understand that the problem for me, is the 'c' step...

Very often, although en0 is displayed by 'ifconfig',

the link is not detected, there's no active link in my dmesg...

This is the issue...

This is not a driver problem but a detection issue...

My driver was good since the beginning !!!

Now, why my link is not always detected ? :) I don't know why...

If someone could help me...

I try different things :

- Try to disconnect / reconnect my ethernet link...

- Try to switch off / switch on my switch...

- Try, before, to boot to Windows XP, to wake-up the ethernet card...

- Try to boot, first, on the network card to wake up it...

but no more result...

Hope it will help someone...

And if someone could help me...

Have a nice day and don't became crazy like me

with this "f...g" network card...

Hey arzynik--I've got the same hardware as you: a BCM5789 (14e4:169d) in my Shuttle ST20G5. The hacked driver works great for me, but I'm not really comfortable redistributing it. Luccio's instructions look good--maybe in a week I'll check it against my driver to check.

Ok! :) Making progress (i think) I have the card working with my linksys router again, but my school's network uses Mac Addresses to identify and allow computers on the network and apparently 00:00:00:00:00 isn't allowed :P

weeelllll... ive tried setting the mac address at boot, after boot, with en0 enabled, with en0 disabled, and every time i still get a crash.. just for reference, how many instances of "66 81 FA 59 16" did you all replace?

i think i counted 45 replacements when doing it manually, does that sound about right? thanks in advance!

H folks,

the next try, for all who have the following device-id's:

16a6

166a

165d

165e

169d

167d

best regards

Homar...

It's working with mine (167D).

I can change the MTU. Nice.

MAC Address : 00:00:00:00:00:00

Thanks. :P

Luccio

To Nisa-It, some questions about his files...

1. Should I modify in your AppleBCM5701Ethernet and AppleBCM5751Ethernet values "66 81 FA 59 16" and "75 71"?

2. What about the original AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext file ? Should I remove it, or just keep it unmodified ?

Thanks.

P.S. : For the moment, your new AppleBCM5751Ethernet directory still have the same behaviour on my computer... It's working some times, not verify often... Most of the time, although en0 is detected by "ifconfig" command, the link is not active.

To Nisa-It, some questions about his files...

1. Should I modify in your AppleBCM5701Ethernet and AppleBCM5751Ethernet values "66 81 FA 59 16" and "75 71"?

2. What about the original AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext file ? Should I remove it, or just keep it unmodified ?

Thanks.

P.S. : For the moment, your new AppleBCM5751Ethernet directory still have the same behaviour on my computer... It's working some times, not verify often... Most of the time, although en0 is detected by "ifconfig" command, the link is not active.

Hi Gellius31,

you don't have to patch anything...

If you have other device-id as i am post before, please post ist here...

I would like to expand the list of supported chips

best regards...

Homar

Hi Nisa-It,

My card is :

"Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller",

VenId: 14e4, DevId: 16a6

in a Dell Inspiron 600m

then I think it might interest you...

Result : it's working some times, not verify often... Most of the time, although en0 is detected by "ifconfig" command, the link is not active.

In preference / Network / Network status : "The cable for Built-in-Ethernet is not plugged in"...

==> Sure, it's plugged !!! :blink:

I have the same card as many other but with another device id so here comes my info for anyone interested =) 0/0xb/0 14e4,1653 (1462,1300) Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705 Gigabit Ethernet

Could you add this idd to the kext?

Hi Nisa-It,

My card is :

"Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller",

VenId: 14e4, DevId: 16a6

in a Dell Inspiron 600m

then I think it might interest you...

Result : it's working some times, not verify often... Most of the time, although en0 is detected by "ifconfig" command, the link is not active.

In preference / Network / Network status : "The cable for Built-in-Ethernet is not plugged in"...

==> Sure, it's plugged !!! :poster_oops:

I think, there was a mistake in the original driver by Apple...

I can see two different device-ids, 16a6 and 166a.

It should be a worng typo and seems to be 16a6 instead of 166a.

Maybe in the next try, i want to add some Device-ids and fix the wrong typo.

Then you can try if its works clearly with your chip

best regards...

Homar

Why is it every time, I try to change the MAC address ("sudo ifconfig en0 ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX") from terminal, it gives a "Network Down."

I can not fix the problem at the moment, because on my chip (1677) it works fine.

Maybe you tried before to change the MAC adress and damaged something???

Thanks

It works just fine for me, with the listed limitations that is.

On home network DHCP works and I can get to the internet (writing from Dell D610 now)

Wired at work does not communicate, I get an IP from the DCHP but no communication out. here is the funny thing though - If I run XP in Parallels and try to access the internet it works just fine from the VM, but OSX can not get to the internet. Funny huhh.

In both cases my MAC is all 0's and the laptop freezes when i try to change it.

in any case this is a great step forward.

Thanks again

Dev ID is 1677

so i decided that all my tinkering had rendered my drivers useless so i reloaded a fresh 10.4.1. now i have completly different error:

11BCM5751Enet is not compatible with its superclass, 20IOEthernetController superclass changed?

[33mFailed to load extension com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5751Ethernet.

[0mCouldn't alloc class "BCM5751Enet"

for reference this is using only nisas newest driver with device:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_169D&SUBSYS_FD311297&REV_11\4&1B41B794&0&00E0

i have attached the entire boot log as well.

i scanned through some more threads for this but didn't see it. if its there feel free the smack me, and point me to where it is. thanks for all the help so far.