Broadcom 570x and 575x

ohpossum

936 posts in this topic

hi there! i have read all this post and there are some steps i don't understand... can somebody please tell me in one post step-by-step what i have to do to get my BroadCom NetXtreme Gigabit (vendor: 14E4, ID: 1677) working??? please x___x i would be so pleased!

i added this to the info.plist on the kext:

<array>

<string>pci14E4,1677</string>

but it still doesn't recognise my ethernet card (when i'm going to connect it says that there are no ethernet card connected). i saw something about a hexeditor... what is that?

please help me :'(

And one more... I made a look through the tg3 broadcom linux driver and I can definately say that AppleBCM5501Ethernet doesn't know there are flash based NVRAM broadcom chips at all (our case). The original driver tries to read eeprom with an obfuscated value, but flash based NVRAM chip don't obfuscate the content of NVRAM and read it different way. In tg3 there are different functions for reading eeprom based NVRAM and flash based NVRAM and flash based NVRAM is written differently if the flash chip is buffered or not. :D

So... the point of all this info is that there is no easy way to patch NVRam reading in driver because the functions don't exist at all for reading flash based NVRAM

yep, you right .. there is no easy way to make the driver proper working .. but anyway, thanks for you work, it is nice to know someone is working on this issue.

I have done only some test with HP 6220 laptop, but i was never done with the nic drivers. Now i'm back with my old laptop ( nw8000 ) and will patch ( if needed ) the 10.4.6 nic drivers, but of course only for 570x and not 575x/8x nic's. Btw, thanks to all who have send me one of those 924573695637805245260 pm's ... but this is not the right way to push someone to do something :P

Anyway, i'm back ...

yz

If you haven't already, you need to replace the kext in your IONetworkingFamily.kext with the broadcom one from this thread.

At least that got my Broadcom GigabitXtreme to work.

yz--

You need to use a hex editor; HexEdit is a good one for the Mac, but you can find one on any platform. The changes required are simple--you've already added the PCI ID into Info.plist, now follow Hater or GoreFish's instructions on what to change with the hex editor.

Interesting issue here, I pm'd maso about it but he hasnt responded. When I ifconfig the correct mac address of my adapter after my system has booted, it crashes the whole thing. My adapter is recognized, I can see bootlog messages that it is recognized and initialized, I added all relevant network info manually in the System Preferences > Network dialog, but I think my universities network ties IP to Mac Address for safety. I tried using my linksys but it wont give my adapter a dhcp address. I also tried manually setting it up using manual info for my linksys, still no luck. Any advice? Oh im running this off a Dell Precision M20 notebook (basically a Latitude D610) with a BCM5751 - 1677 adapter. Interestingly when i configured the adapter with the right info manually for my school network (DNS, Gateway, IP, SubNet) Safari not gives me a white screen and acts like its trying to pull something up instead of giving me a "cannot connect" error immediately.. weird.. im getting so cloooooose!! >:D

Ok I sidestepped my school network with a linksys router..

I manually entered my net info and BAM online!! finally!

well then i ran system update.. and borked my system.. :)

im downloading the torrent again

OK after many hours and days of fighting with the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext to get my Broadcom GigabitXtreme to work I finally installed 10.4.3 on a different HDD. On that HDD I got the AppleBCM5701 to kick in but was not getting any ip and some error about 1659 I assume cuz its a 1677. But still better than nothing.

However my other built-in ethernet the Intel82562 on my MSI 925X Neo board was being recognized as an Intel 82557 --and great-- IP address and MAC. --WITHOUT any mind-boggeling Hex edits or plist editing!!

So i just grabbed the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the 10.4.3 HDD and copied it over to my working 10.4.5 partition. authenticated and replaced the file from 10.4.5. Rebooted to my 10.4.5 partition with a -v -s flushed the cache and rebuilt it rebooted into 10.4.5 and yeah! AppleIntel8255x was online!!

I had to see if the BCM was working too

I was still getting the errors and no MAC or IP sometimes it registers but hangs arrggghhh!

BUT....

I would still recomend getting and trying the 10.4.3 kext they seem to work better and have more hardware support.

Sorry but it's not true that 10.4.3 has better support. If the driver does not fail in some weird situations is not support, but missed error handling!!! :withstupid: I preffer 10.4.5 even without the MAC. But that's me... :dev:

For me the solution from Hater is perfect. Even waking from sleep works for me. I use DHCP and everything works.

Again: I use the /System/Library/StartupItems dir to set the mac at startup (like Apache and other services).

I created a dir in StartupItems containing the attached files. Maybe you should edit the MAC-address.

Thanks again to Hater.

SetMAC.zip

Sorry but it's not true that 10.4.3 has better support. If the driver does not fail in some weird situations is not support, but missed error handling!!! :poster_oops: I preffer 10.4.5 even without the MAC. But that's me... :dev:

Oh I'm sure you are right that 10.4.5 is better.....but.. for me I could not get it to work "out of the box". With the 10.4.3 kext I had to do absolutely NO editing or messing around. Even though my hardware is not an exact match to the Intel 82557 but the 82562 it still was loaded and working. That does it for me!! :guitar:

I was just saying that for some folks it might be worth a try to ververt to the 10.4.3 DRIVERS in some cases. :angel:

Like in 10.4.3 I could throw an USB stick in the slot and have USB storage. With 10.4.5 the USB lots did not even get power even though the kexts were loaded "properly".

Neehow, as long as it works I'm happy and thats the main purpose of the OS.

Success! This stuff actually works.

After following the posts of Hater & GoreFish, I finally have full network access. The only other thing I had to do was rebuild the kext cache, reboot and then presto! Thanks.

Broadcom NetXtreme 5751 Gigabit, vendor:14E4, devid:1677

Dell XPS Gen3

Yeah--10.4.3 has much better driver support (which is why 10.4.3 Extensions folders are still asked for commonly). With the 10.4.1/10.4.3 betas, Apple built pretty much *every* driver for both Intel and PPC, even if it didn't work (*cough*nvidia). With 10.4.4 and up, Intel drivers were only included if Apple actually sold a machine with the targeted hardware. It's why all the hacks on this thread need the BCM5701 from 10.4.3.

ual808's guide to patch this kext helped me a lot :graduated: i thought it was going to work until i get to this point:

sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:13:72:18:XX:YY << here i put my own MAC address

but when i hit enter it says "en0 doesn't exist" or something like that... what's that?

go to the device manager > BroadCom NetXtreme Gigabit (or whatever) > Properties > Details

and you'll see something like this:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1677&SUBSYS_00631025&REV_01\4&2065177B&0&00E1

that's your ID

and how can i do that?

sudo ifconfig

here is a sample dump

notice en0 and en1?. If you have wireless or something already running chances that is en0 and your broadcom would be en1.

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384

inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128

inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280

stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet6 fe80::20d:93ff:fe35:522e%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4

inet 192.168.114.163 netmask 0xfffffc00 broadcast 192.168.115.255

ether 00:0d:93:35:52:2e

media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>) status: active

supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control,hw-loopback>

en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether 00:03:93:f5:12:36

media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive

supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>

fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 4078

lladdr 00:0d:93:ff:fe:35:52:2e

media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive

supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>

Is there a way to make the ipconfig/ifconfig command permanently? I already tried it the same way I got my nvidia card to work by putting them into /etc/rc, but it seems that the network hasn't been initialized when the file gets executed... Does anybody have a working solution for that?

Thanks,

JST