Broadcom 570x and 575x

ohpossum

936 posts in this topic

I just want to share install boardcom 57xx dell latitude D820.

Details:

1)i am using iATKOS-v7 - it is 10.5.7

2) from windows xp, netcard is Boradcom 14E4 & DEV1600 and the netcard net address can be found from windows command ipconfig /all

3)others sound:sigmatel stac 92xx hd audio, vga:nvidia quadro nvs 120m

4)during installation:not choose any VGA, but choose chamelon V2,kernel 9.7.0, network card choose Broardcom 5751(not 5787), choose sound default voodoo hd driver

5) result: keyboard and mouse are not working and network en0 is never shown up) i am using external keyboard and mouse and they working fine. Sound is working good but VGA not perfect, sometime vga not smooth.

6) Big problem is broadcom 57xx

7)change all below addresses to 66 81 FA 00 16

66 81 FA 93 16,

66 81 FA 96 16,

66 81 FA 59 16,

66 81 FA 77 16

66 81 FA 9D 16

to 66 81 FA 00 16 by flexhex from windows xp and using wordpad change info.pist to

<array>

<string>pci14e4,1600</string>

</array

8) copy it to MAC desktop

9) go to /System;/Library/Extensions/ , than remove applebcm5751.kext and replaced by new one

10) go to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext,

then right click IONetworkingFamily.kext, shown package content, then to cotents and to plugins.

After that, remove applebcm5751.kext and replaced by new one.

11) from terminal do the followings steps

a)sudo -s

b)cd /System/Library/Extensions/

c)ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext

d)rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache (--no such file, don't know what happen)

e)rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

f)chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

g)kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions (---no such bundle file,don't know what happen)

h)shutdown -r now

After remote

a)sudo -s

b)chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

c)cd /System/Library/Extensions/

d)chmod -R 755 AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

e)reboot

12) from terminal

a)ifconfig - enter

You will have en0 MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00

a)sudo -s

b)ifconfig en0 up

c)ifconfig en0 ether (your lan card address which can found from step 2)

d)sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP (-- capital DHCP)

After that, I can go to internet. Good but not perfect !!!

13) shutdown the computer and start it again.

you will get en0 MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00 again.

I am afraid you have run step 12 again if you want to connect to internet

14)To conclude: what a good experience play with Apple!! Thanks to all they share their experience too.

raybaba on 26 Dec 2009

Sorry to attach the file that was used in D820. So i post it again

I just want to share install boardcom 57xx dell latitude D820.

Details:

1)i am using iATKOS-v7 - it is 10.5.7

2) from windows xp, netcard is Boradcom 14E4 & DEV1600 and the netcard net address can be found from windows command ipconfig /all

3)others sound:sigmatel stac 92xx hd audio, vga:nvidia quadro nvs 120m

4)during installation:not choose any VGA, but choose chamelon V2,kernel 9.7.0, network card choose Broardcom 5751(not 5787), choose sound default voodoo hd driver

5) result: keyboard and mouse are not working and network en0 is never shown up) i am using external keyboard and mouse and they working fine. Sound is working good but VGA not perfect, sometime vga not smooth.

6) Big problem is broadcom 57xx

7)change all below addresses to 66 81 FA 00 16

66 81 FA 93 16,

66 81 FA 96 16,

66 81 FA 59 16,

66 81 FA 77 16

66 81 FA 9D 16

to 66 81 FA 00 16 by flexhex from windows xp and using wordpad change info.pist to

<array>

<string>pci14e4,1600</string>

</array

8) copy it to MAC desktop

9) go to /System;/Library/Extensions/ , than remove applebcm5751.kext and replaced by new one

10) go to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext,

then right click IONetworkingFamily.kext, shown package content, then to cotents and to plugins.

After that, remove applebcm5751.kext and replaced by new one.

11) from terminal do the followings steps

a)sudo -s

b)cd /System/Library/Extensions/

c)ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext

d)rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache (--no such file, don't know what happen)

e)rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

f)chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

g)kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions (---no such bundle file,don't know what happen)

h)shutdown -r now

After remote

a)sudo -s

b)chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

c)cd /System/Library/Extensions/

d)chmod -R 755 AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

e)reboot

12) from terminal

a)ifconfig - enter

You will have en0 MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00

a)sudo -s

b)ifconfig en0 up

c)ifconfig en0 ether (your lan card address which can found from step 2)

d)sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP (-- capital DHCP)

After that, I can go to internet. Good but not perfect !!!

13) shutdown the computer and start it again.

you will get en0 MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00 again.

I am afraid you have run step 12 again if you want to connect to internet

14)To conclude: what a good experience play with Apple!! Thanks to all they share their experience too.

raybaba on 26 Dec 2009

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.zip

nobb1x:

I have this on my Laptop (Acer 7730G):

09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:1684] (rev 10)

I'm usiung iPC updated to 10.5.7.

No news about it ? I haven't network on my OSx86. No Wireless (iwl5100agn) and no Ethernet ;)

Thanks.

nobb1x:

I have this on my Laptop (Acer 7730G):

I'm usiung iPC updated to 10.5.7.

No news about it ? I haven't network on my OSx86. No Wireless (iwl5100agn) and no Ethernet :)

Thanks.

swap the intel card with a broadcom 4311 minipci express, so easy to find on ebay and cheap

and it works in airport mode (i did it, acer don't has any blacklist on the bios, it don't affect warranty and it works with windows too)

swap the intel card with a broadcom 4311 minipci express, so easy to find on ebay and cheap

and it works in airport mode (i did it, acer don't has any blacklist on the bios, it don't affect warranty and it works with windows too)

Thanks, but I prefer ethernet to wireless. No way for my ethernet card ?

(and don't care about Windows, i'm running under Gentoo :P)

Thanks, but I prefer ethernet to wireless. No way for my ethernet card ?

(and don't care about Windows, i'm running under Gentoo :P)

why you don't switch to snow leopard? i think nobody will make a driver today for leopard 10.5.x

i did some hexediting to the snow leopard one and it works 50% of times (5764M only) in 32bit mode, of course it don't

work on leopard. i tried to hexedit the 64bit code too but it seem too much hard for me. i'm glad to let you try but

you need snow leopard.

My situation is opposite as yours, i use wireless network 100% of the times, but i did that just for fun.

Hi all, new to macs but fairly proficient programmer.

I have a broadcom 5754 with VEN_14e4 DEV_167a integrated with Dell Precition 390.

I have everyting working with iATKOS v7 10.5.7 except for my nic stated above.

I have tried just about every kext file and mod found in this thread but the best result i have gotten was the card be recognised by ifconfig but no connection possible via DHCP or Manual config. Although the mac networking preferences module says its connectd. Any attempt to change the MAC address using ifconfig i get "network down".

The last one i tried was with the 5787 dirver install as suggested below. Tried this on a clean install but this immidiatly locks up system after kext install.

I have the 5754 card also (device ID of 167a also) but modifying the 5751 kext as above did not work. Well, it worked, but I could not get a DHCP address or net with a static address because of the MAC address being all 0's (this is environment based, as some network routers, etc, will not communicate with devices that have 0 MAC addresses).

So, I modified the 5787 en0 kext in the same way crazy drummer did it to the other one, and got it working, since it then had at least some MAC address.

I just replaced the device id's of 1693 and 1698 to say 167a, in "AppleBCM5787Ethernet.kext" with Plist Editor (turns out nothing is needed to be done inside IONetworkingFamily.kext when the 5787 kext is used).

Then I changed the hex of AppleBCM5787Ethernet.kext/Content/MacOs/AppleBCM5787Ethernet with Find and replace all of "66 81 FA 93 16" with "66 81 FA 7A 16",

then "F8 08 75 59" with "F8 08 74 59"

then "install the 2 kexts, then the usual repair permissions/clear cache/rebuild cache/touch extensions folder housekeeping stuff " :)

ended up with a nonsense MAC of ba:ad:f0:0d:ba:ad that I believe the 5787 kext defaults to, but whatever, it's better than all 0's and going through the process of more hex editing (i didn't know the mac address of the NIC to begin with haha)

but worked like a charm! Couldn't have done it without crazy drummer's and everyone's persistent hacking!

So thanks a ton, and I might as well attach the modified kexts in case someone else has a BCM5754 Broadcom NetXtreme 5754 with device id 167a from an HP 5850. (for the googlers) ;)

Peace all, and Good Luck!

AppleBCM5787MEthernet5754.kext.zip

So now i am just about done with this untill any body has a modified kext that they think will work on my system. I know most have moved onto snow leppord but its just not worth the upgrade time for me as there is now way to install snow with out first doing 10.5.x install first. correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks to Loepere's previous post, I was able to get the Broadcom BCM 5755M (device id 1673) working flawlessly on my Dell Latitude D830 running Leopard 10.5.4 (no more GSOD or "freezing" after limited use).

I used EternalEmpty's AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext (downloaded BCM57XX.zip from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...114605&st=0). I followed the directions in the tutuorial.

I then changed the entry in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

pci14e4,167d to pci14e4,1673 (my device id)

Then I copied /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleBCM5751Ethernet to my home folder so I could edit it with Hexedit, and replaced all occurrences:

"66 81 FA 7D 16" with "66 81 FA 73 16"

to match my device id.

Note: I did not change address 37554, 37555 of "75 71" to "EB 71" to bypass the call to InitNVRam - I left it as it should be ("75 71").

And now here is the elusive solution...

I located the section BCM5751Enet::getAdapterInfo and found the identical code which Loepere refers to. I changed "jne L1" into a "je L1" which using Hexedit simply translates to:

address 376C0: replace "F8 08 75 59" with "F8 08 74 59"

Copied the modified AppleBCM5751Ethernet back to the original location in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/MacOS.

MAC address gets assigned correctly to en0, and DHCP works perfectly.

Running iATKOS v7 10.5.7 on DELL Precition 390

UPDATE: Aparently after a clean instal followed by the procees below it crash my system. However there is a fix.

raybabaPosted Dec 26 2009, 12:21 AM

Fifst install the kext in raybabas post above (no need for IONetworkingFamily update). Just modify the info.plist for your DEV_ID and install with kext helper, repair permissions then follow the instuctions below for my modified kext.

This worked perfect for me with a Broadcom 5754 DEV_167A !!!! But i can simplify the install process a bit as follows:

1) After you download BCM57XX.zip

2) Change entry pci14e4,167d to pci14e4,your device id here in both kext files:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist

3)HexEdit:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleBCM5751Ethernet

change "66 81 FA 7D 16" to "66 81 FA 7A 16" on all locations. Just substitute your the last two charicters of your device id for 7A.

4) After you make all your mods as described above just install them with KextHelper.

5)In diskutil repair permissions on your drive

6)Reboot with -f flag.

I have attached my modded kext files ONLY FOR Broadcom 5754 DEV_167A . For other DEV_ID you must follow the insturctions above.

BCM5754_14e4_167a_working.zip

MODERATORS PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY!!!!!

I spent 2 days and tried every soluton in these 40 pages and noting worked except for this.

Correct MAC address, DHCP, connected and working 100%.

UPDATE: On load the system rocognises the MAC address but says it is taken by another controller and gives me all zeros. very strange. But DHCP does work without having to change MAC address.

Is there any way to hardcode the mac address in the BCM5715 kext for 14e4 1677?

When I try to set the mac address manually Leopard hangs, because of the nvram addressing problem.

I read in a BCM5787 thread that it's possible to enter the mac address with hexedit.

im sorry to trouble u but im not able to access that page tinhead posted a link, could u please help me with tht or could u send me a link to the netlink brodcom driver, i have Broadcom BCM5787M NetLink Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express please help me thank u in advance

• 2 weeks later...

hello folks, as you may know latest I7 IMacs use a Broadcom 5764M as wired ethernet chip. This chip is now fully supported

by the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext but it seem the Apple one has a proprietary nvram so our pc chips fail the nvram check

and the kext won't load. Here is an hexedited version of the kext for you to try, it come from 10.6.2 and it works only on 32 bit mode. Attempting to start it in 64bit mode lead to nothing because the 64bit code is not patched, feel free to reverse my mods and apply it to the 64bit portion if you have a such disassembler.

What i did here is to bypass the nvram type check and to apply huge patches to the Init_NVRAM routine. Leopard versions of the hexedited kext had a wrong patch imho, disabling at all the init_nvram, causing lot of troubles, like impossibility to unload, no sleep, no mac address and impossibility to change it manually.

All of these functions are supported by this, at least on my laptop ;)

HOWTO:

make a backup and replace the System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext with this.

repair permission and reboot

Beware, don't use automatic installer because they install the kext on the S/L/E rather than in the Plugins folder of the IONetworkingFamilykext, you need to do it by hand.

to set your MacAddress (otherwise all 00) from the terminal: sudo ifconfig en0 (or en1) lladdr YO:UR:MA:CA:DD:RS

if it don't work work for you, you don't like or it crash your system, start with -s and remove it manually.

BEWARE NOOBS: this is only for SNOW LEOPARD and Broadcom 5764M chip, the code has many checks to read the chip ID, feel free to hack it and try on other BCM cards, a simple plist change won't do the job.

UPDATE: 64 bit mode too available!!!!

32_64Bit_AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.zip

UPDATE: 10.6.3 version

10.6.3_AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.zip

as far i know, it show a warning in the logs about unknown ACPI low power methods, but it support sleep, unload, and it read the mac address from the card. support for both 32 and 64 bit modes.

if the card don't get the address from the dhcp, set it manually.

To install replace the original kext into IONetworkingfamily.kext/Contents/Plugins, fix permissions and reboot.

Good News i patch IONetworkingFamily.kext by This solution

And now write this message from my TC 4400 connected via Broadcom NetXtreme Lan

instruction:

Download kext

backup your original kexts -

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

any AppleBCM5xxxEthernet.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/

remove any AppleBCM5* from /System/Library/Extensions/

replace /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext with kext from this post

in terminal:

sudo -s

rm /System/Library/Extensions.*

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

reboot

after reboot go to SystemPref>Network

And configure manualy - IP/MASK/ROUTER/DNS

please try and write result

Thanks everybody. This is the solution for my HP nc 6400 (14e4 16fd). And i Thinks this will work for all broadcom (14e4 16fd). If your vender id or device id is not (14ed 16fd) follow sandr 's solution may be it will works for you.

Thanks to every body ;)

hello folks, as you may know latest I7 IMacs use a Broadcom 5764M as wired ethernet chip. This chip is now fully supported

Hi nobb1x, thank you for share one more time. Is this new version of kext and did you solved the problem with kernel panic at startup?

Seems slowly the Broadcom chips start working:

I have used nobb1x 5787M kext, used the instructions provided to patch in my HW/MAC-address, modified the PCIid in Info.plist to match mine (i.e. pci14e4,167a). Using that I got a non crashing kext, that made the network card appear in System Preferences -> Network, with even notifying a network link properly.

However the interface wasn't "up", ifconfig did NOT report it as "RUNNING" as well. So I took the idea from arctelix above and searched Contents/MacOS/AppleBCM5787MEthernet for sequences with PCI-ids. I ended up replacing all 66 81 fa 77 16 byte sequences with 66 81 fa 7a 16 and ... except for the promiscuous issue I have a working network card now.

Thanks to all so far, maybe this final issue can be solved too.

Just noticing I must have picked up a different version of the kext from the Broadcom BCM5787M thread

--

MacOS 10.6.2

Hardware:

Dell Optiplex 740 (MCP51 chipset, AMD X2 4850E)

Broadcom 5754 NetXtreme BCM5754

this is modified, i hope it start with no panic now, but let me know

Ok, it's seems to me that the kernel panic disappear, but the kext won't autoload. Every time when machine starts, I must Go to terminal and write kextload-comand. Is that ok or I was missinG somethinG?

hmm no, it autoload ok for me, are you sure the original apple kext isn't in the IONetworkingfamily.kext Plugins folder? or you have another applebcm kext lying in Extensions folder? try touching the Extensions folder forcing the system to rebuild the cache and start with -v to see if any other bcm kext is loaded.

Just as a hint on kexts that still seem to be there or are not loaded: Using chameleon as a boot-loader and placing the kext in /Extra/Extensions makes sure, that any extra kexts I have will have precedence over kexts in /S/L/E. I usually use pfix on SL to fix the permissions and to make sure that /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext will be rebuild too.

Maybe this will solve your problem too!?

hmm no, it autoload ok for me, are you sure the original apple kext isn't in the IONetworkingfamily.kext Plugins folder? or you have another applebcm kext lying in Extensions folder? try touching the Extensions folder forcing the system to rebuild the cache and start with -v to see if any other bcm kext is loaded.

Hi nobb1x. Thank you for supporting. After touching the Extensions folder all is going just fine besides detecting mac address. Every time after reboot I must type in the terminal 'ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:23:5A:EF:52:45'. Is there any way to put mac address somewhere else to take it autoload at startup?

Hi nobb1x. Thank you for supporting. After touching the Extensions folder all is going just fine besides detecting mac address. Every time after reboot I must type in the terminal 'ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:23:5A:EF:52:45'. Is there any way to put mac address somewhere else to take it autoload at startup?

i'm sure on this huge thread this has been already discuss, but i can't find it now, anyway i found this on another thread.

have a look.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=661178