Broadcom 570x and 575x

ohpossum

936 posts in this topic

You're THE MAN!!!

An hour ago got my BCM5752 (pci14e4,1600) working like a charm: MAC's - OK, DHCP's - OK, 100M/1000M - OK!!!

For those, desperate Dell Latitude D620 owners, or who esle, by the chance, owns this card - attached 100% working kext.

NB! Place this kext to /System/Library/Extensions AND to the "/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins" folder

Do not forget to DELETE existing kext, and "chown/chmod/repare perms" of course!

I'm so happy, 'coz at workplace we don't have WiFi, and at last i can use MY OWN laptop instead this terrible monster, i have here...

:)

(sorry for my english)

YAY!!! bcm5752 pcie 4e4,1600; It worked it worked it worked. Thanks a million.

The only downside is that it replaced my working wifi on en0. Well, dont need wifi at the moment so will cross that bridge when i get there

@ oSxFr33k,

About the USB problem you're having, click on this link to fix it: Solving USB Problems

Most of the time this is caused from having different versions of kernel (mach_kernel) and system.kext. Usually having a 9.2.0 kernel and version 9.2.2 of the system.kext

In the thread you'll find the link to the usb_fix_1.3.mpkg.zip installer file to fix it... it worked wonders for me!

Hope it helps

iSaint

Thanks for the reply.

I went to IRC and got lucky. I was givien a 10.5.5 IOUSBFamily 10.5.5.pkg installer from the leopard forum by nawcom.

That fixed the USB 100%.

This is for my D820.

I put the hard drive into my D830 and the USB is broke again. ALso the BCM5755M controller ID 14e4:1673 is not working. I got the D820 Ethernet to work 14e4:1600.

Is there a working kext for the D830 Ethernet?

So, here it is: 0x14e4:0x1673

How to install:

- remove all occurrences of AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext from both /System/Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

- extract attached .zip anywhere (let's say - to the Desktop) and make sure this is the only file, starting with the "AppleB"

- in terminal:

sudo -s

<root password>

cp -r -v ~Desktop/AppleB* /S*/L*/E*/IONet*/C*/Plug*/

rm -v /S*/L*/E*.mke*

diskutil repairpermissions /

reboot

Then boot with the "-v" switch and post here all occurrencies with the "AppleBCM5751Ethernet"

Update: this is only a HACK. No warranties then.

And DON'T FORGET TO BACK UP EVERYTHING YOU MODIFY!!!

wow thanks it works on the D830. I had the other 5751 working from this thread for the 1600 D820. I backed up that kext but will this one work on the BCM5752 14e4:1600 if I add that ID into the plist or not?

Thanks again!!

An hour ago got my BCM5752 (pci14e4,1600) working like a charm: MAC's - OK, DHCP's - OK, 100M/1000M - OK!!!

For those, desperate Dell Latitude D620 owners, or who esle, by the chance, owns this card - attached 100% working kext.

Thanks a lot for the new kext! This is running well on a Dell D820.

I deleted the kext that installed initially at /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext and got a popup letting me know a new network device was available.

On to solving the no dual core, no sound, doesn't wake up from display sleep issues.

Heh.. And I'm looking to find a way to make 14e4:165a work. It's the 5722 adapter, which hasn't been seen here before.

Problem is, I've done the hex exit trick, done the NVRAM bypass hex, added the card to info.plist, yet still nothing. It shows up, shows connected, but mac address is 00's, and it cannot be changed. Ping to loopback works, ping to own IP works, but anything else is no route to host, yet the routing table is set up. It also won't config itself, I must do it manually by ifconfig command each time.

Heh.. And I'm looking to find a way to make 14e4:165a work. It's the 5722 adapter, which hasn't been seen here before.

Problem is, I've done the hex exit trick, done the NVRAM bypass hex, added the card to info.plist, yet still nothing. It shows up, shows connected, but mac address is 00's, and it cannot be changed. Ping to loopback works, ping to own IP works, but anything else is no route to host, yet the routing table is set up. It also won't config itself, I must do it manually by ifconfig command each time.

try to open a tcpdump session in a shell window, its a common practice for us owner of a bcm5787m, maybe it work for you also.

I have the same chip like gameover69 (5754, DeviceID 167a).

To be precise, my board has two of them.

I used the kext that А.Д. hexed for this chip (!)

I get the same NVRam warning as gameover69 when I use it straight.

After removing the NVRam check my system hangs at boot time, without a warning. (last statement says "mounting filesystems")

Does anyone have a idea what I can try here.

Thanks.

I have the same chip like gameover69 (5754, DeviceID 167a).

To be precise, my board has two of them.

I used the kext that А.Д. hexed for this chip (!)

I get the same NVRam warning as gameover69 when I use it straight.

After removing the NVRam check my system hangs at boot time, without a warning. (last statement says "mounting filesystems")

Does anyone have a idea what I can try here.

Thanks.

That's strange. I think, this hang does not have any relation with BCM kext, because filesystems are mounted way before other kexts do...

Maybe there's something wrong with hexing?

Try to boot with "-f" switch (this forces OS to rebuild kextcache).

Already tried the "-f"switch. No go.

What hexing to you mean. Can't imagine that it's the NVRam fix i did, since it's pretty basic stuff and I tried several times.

But i was simply following instructions from this thread, since I'm not really deep into drivers and stuff. I mean I like them.... but :smoke:

I tried to manually load the driver after boot up to rule out any clashing there (had a realtek8169 interfereing with my graphics card at boot time),

but the system freezes after a few seconds.

Can you give me advice on how to find out what's going wrong?

Greetings all. So I have followed many many tutorials on this thread and a big thanks goes to А.Д. and his kext file, I finally have my Broadcom onboard "working". I have the 14e4:167b version.

I get the green "connected" in the network preferences. However, like Frayedends, I get the "no route to host" error when I ping anything. Even my own IP. Loopback is the only address that works. Is there anything I can try? I am too new to this whole thing to try anything on my own. This is the only component left that I need to get working for total domination. Thanks for any help you can give me.

p.s. I am getting my actual MAC address too. Not all 0's. Not sure if that means anything to anyone.

You stay classy..

\----------update----------\

All is now working. It was the hex edit part that I didn't do correctly. Thanks to everyone on this thread and the board for that matter. My new favorite home.

For all of those, who didn't achieved any success with hexing of the stock BCM5751/5701 kext: i am pretty sure this method only works on VERY SIMILAR chips, not on ALL Broadcom chips (because of chip architecture and capabilities).

So, what we can do next?

Keep on trying various methods.

And good luck to all of us!

A.A. -- thank you, sir!

I got my Broadcom 5754 working with you kext and the change at 37554.

It worked. I had connection. Manual IP address and manual make address with "ifconfig en4 11:12:13:14:15:16" and I was off an running. Several reboots, etc, etc everything was fine.

I downloaded the latest updates from apple.com, and now it is broken. I get the "You must reboot you computer" screen.

I confirmed that it is the NVram change or the fact that the ethernet card is getting a mac address of 00:00:00:00:00:00.

If I disable the nic card in the bios the machine will boot.

If I enable the nic card and change back the nvram thing at address 37554 the machine boots.

I have not tried putting the the mac address change in a start up script somewhere early enough.... or load the nic card kext up after the machine is fully booted up.

Any thoughts? anyone?

A.A. -- thank you, sir!

I got my Broadcom 5754 working with you kext and the change at 37554.

It worked. I had connection. Manual IP address and manual make address with "ifconfig en4 11:12:13:14:15:16" and I was off an running. Several reboots, etc, etc everything was fine.

I downloaded the latest updates from apple.com, and now it is broken. I get the "You must reboot you computer" screen.

I confirmed that it is the NVram change or the fact that the ethernet card is getting a mac address of 00:00:00:00:00:00.

If I disable the nic card in the bios the machine will boot.

If I enable the nic card and change back the nvram thing at address 37554 the machine boots.

I have not tried putting the the mac address change in a start up script somewhere early enough.... or load the nic card kext up after the machine is fully booted up.

Any thoughts? anyone?

You're welcome!

But this is not me to thank! It's the community! :thumbsup_anim:

Earlier, somewhere in this thread was posted info on how to hardcode your MAC in kext's binary. This was not difficult at all. You may try!

If you won't find it – i'll try to and post here.

You're welcome!

But this is not me to thank! It's the community! :)

Earlier, somewhere in this thread was posted info on how to hardcode your MAC in kext's binary. This was not difficult at all. You may try!

If you won't find it – i'll try to and post here.

If you know the method off hand, please let me know -- this thread is 37 pages!

If you know the method off hand, please let me know -- this thread is 37 pages!

Too sad... I've spent 15 minutes to find out that post... No luck.

I didn't do this myself, because I didn't need to...

Will keep on searching. That was an interesting post and some people reported it as working solution for 00:00:00:00:00:00 MAC...

Here is a part of Nobb1x Readme for BCM5787M (an Hexedited BCM5701 kext) which explains how to change mac adress hexediting the kext, you can try, may be it will work for you :

Goodluck ;)

Getting MAC Address

You need HexFiend go get it ---> http://www.ridiculousfish.com/ (you can also try Hexeditor)

You need to know your bcm5787M MAC address

unzip the bcm kext on your desktop

start hexfiend and open the file AppleBCM5787MEthernet inside Contents/MacOS

navigate to the 2e900 address,you can see some B8 XX , you need to change the value near to

the B8's with your MAC Address

YOU MUST ENABLE OVERWRITE MODE - EDIT MENU THEN ENABLE OVERWRITE MODE!!!

0002e900 09 8B 45 0C C7 00 00 00 00 00 31 C0 C9 C3 55 89

0002e910 E5 8B 55 08 8B 4D 0C B8 03 00 00 00 90 90 88 01 <-- one occurrence

0002e920 B8 BF 00 00 00 90 90 88 41 01 B8 58 00 00 00 90 <-- two occurrences

0002e930 90 88 41 02 B8 4C 00 00 00 90 90 88 41 03 B8 A2 <-- two occurrences

0002e940 00 00 00 90 90 88 41 04 B8 11 00 00 00 90 90 88 <-- one occurrence

0002e950 41 05 31 C0 C9 C3 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 55 89

on this example the mac address is 03:bf:58:4c:a2:11

kext default mac address is BA:AD:FO:OD:BA:AD

don't touch the B8 of course!!!

if you have already installed the kext on its defaults, you must reinstall and reboot to see the changes

Double check then save the file, if you mess with something here the driver will crash as soon it load!!!

Here is a part of Nobb1x Readme for BCM5787M (an Hexedited BCM5701 kext) which explains how to change mac adress hexediting the kext, you can try, may be it will work for you :

Goodluck :blink:

Getting MAC Address

You need HexFiend go get it ---> http://www.ridiculousfish.com/ (you can also try Hexeditor)

You need to know your bcm5787M MAC address

unzip the bcm kext on your desktop

start hexfiend and open the file AppleBCM5787MEthernet inside Contents/MacOS

navigate to the 2e900 address,you can see some B8 XX , you need to change the value near to

the B8's with your MAC Address

YOU MUST ENABLE OVERWRITE MODE - EDIT MENU THEN ENABLE OVERWRITE MODE!!!

0002e900 09 8B 45 0C C7 00 00 00 00 00 31 C0 C9 C3 55 89

0002e910 E5 8B 55 08 8B 4D 0C B8 03 00 00 00 90 90 88 01 <-- one occurrence

0002e920 B8 BF 00 00 00 90 90 88 41 01 B8 58 00 00 00 90 <-- two occurrences

0002e930 90 88 41 02 B8 4C 00 00 00 90 90 88 41 03 B8 A2 <-- two occurrences

0002e940 00 00 00 90 90 88 41 04 B8 11 00 00 00 90 90 88 <-- one occurrence

0002e950 41 05 31 C0 C9 C3 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 55 89

on this example the mac address is 03:bf:58:4c:a2:11

kext default mac address is BA:AD:FO:OD:BA:AD

don't touch the B8 of course!!!

if you have already installed the kext on its defaults, you must reinstall and reboot to see the changes

Double check then save the file, if you mess with something here the driver will crash as soon it load!!!

That's it!

Thanks, mate!