Broadcom 570x and 575x

ohpossum

936 posts in this topic

Installed Nisa-it's kext and for the most part it works...my 5751 (ID 1677) is detected (MAC address : 00s) and can get an IP address through my wireless router, but can only access outside the LAN (internet) when the router's wireless radio is turned off! It's a cheap Dlink router (DI-624 rev C, firmware 2.76) so I'm not too surprised, but it works! So if anyone has similar problems, try messing around with your router, or just connect directly to your broadband modem...it may not be your OSX x86 installation that is at fault.

<Prone>.

Hi, All.

My PC is shuttle SD37P2 (Intel Core Duo 2) and Use 10.4.6 JaS DVD.

NIC is Broadcom Netlink (BCM 7589 B1).

The installation procedure is as follows. It works!!!!

1. Download kext from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=2949 (Thanks to Nisa-it!!!)

2. Copy to /System/Library/Extentions

3. Open Terminal

# cd /System/Libarary/Extentions

# chown -R root:wheel AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

# vi /etc/rc.local

sudo ifconfig en0 ether [your MAC address]

sudo ipconfig set en0 BOOTP

sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP

4. reboot

It's done!!!

Thanks 4 all!!!!

:)

Yep, I tried both kext's and edited the info list to add my device. I even hexedited the actual driver file to change one of the recognized devices (99 I think) to match my own 53 but to no avail. I still get the superclass error as before.

Ho hum. :-(

I think the 169c is supported by Nisa's drivers that he published a few pages back. Go back a few pages and look for his postings and you should find a zip file attached to one of his posts that are the drivers you want. I seem to remember the 169c is in his list so you should be able to load it and simply have it work without any hexediting.

Good luck!

Just want to thank you guys here for making it really easy to get my BCM5751M working! Although the MAC address is 0s, at least the DHCP works. I've never used terminal in my life (pretty fun too ^-^). If I can get this working anyone can. You just have to keep at it. Search the forums wisely

Thanks guys

You guys ROCK!!

:censored2: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

For all of those struggling with complicated terminal coding; it isn't necessary. All you need is the 5751 kext and a plist edit. The common mistake (which i found myself to make over and over again), is to forget to re-apply system permissions back to the plist when its edited. As a standard security measure, the kernel doesn't allow the loading of read/write plists.. (you want it to be read-only; else you'll end up getting errors that your kext isn't correctly installed) So here is what i did;

1. Downloaded the 5751 apple/broadcom kext

2. place it /System/Library/Extensions

3. Go to /System/Library/Extensions

4. Select the 5751 extensions, right click it, and click "Show Package Contents"

5. you'll see "info.plist", copy it to your desktop, and open it there with plain simple text-edit..

---DONT CLOSE THE EXTENSION WINDOW, YOU'LL NEED IT SO LEAVE IT OPEN

6. scroll down until you see "array", because the driver has already been patched u'll see a few string IDs starting with <string>pci14e4,xxxx</string>, where xxxx is the device id

7. you make a new line under the last <string>pci14e4,xxxx</string> (should be 165e), again with <string>pci14e4,xxxx</string> where xxxx is your device id (in my case 169c).

8. you save the file

9. go back to the 5751 extension folder that i told you to leave open, you delete the plist that you see in that folder (it'll ask for authentication)

10. copy the plist on your desktop back to the 5751 extension folder (it will ask for authentication again)

11. right click on the plist and click "get info"

12. go to permissions

13. change user to "system"

14. change group to "wheel"

15. close the window

16. reboot

17. Enjoy! (i hope)

Hope my first post contributes to the poor souls with difficult broadcoms! :)

Haven't been in this thread for a while--sorry, but I got tired of questions of how to make the 14e4/169d work when there are plenty of great people right here with instructions!

Anyway, there's a new development--the 10.4.8 update includes a new version of AppleBCM5701Ethernet. And, for the first time since 10.4.3 8f1111, said driver is universal! Yes, Apple has finally *publically shipped* an i386 version of AppleBCM5701. This is quite curious however, since Apple does not currently ship any Intel systems with Broadcom 57xx Ethernet chips. My guess: they put it in so that the Mac Pro will work with a wider range of third-party PCI-e Ethernet cards.

Anyway, I haven't done anything with this driver, but I may examine it sometime and see what differences are present. The version number has been incremented, so there could be some changes. The Info.plist PCI-match section hasn't changed though, so don't get your hopes up for more seamless/better support of our cards. Have fun....

After reading last news on this thread,

I have upgraded my OSX to 10.4.8 version - Jas SSE2 Patch.

And my network card 14e4 / 16a6 still not working...

In preference / Network / Network status still have "The cable for Built-in-Ethernet is not plugged in"...

Check my post : #168, #183, #189, #192.

So disappointed...

There is a new patch based on hater's pacth.

This patch try to resove the following issue which happened in the hater's pacth:

The system hang up afer you want to configure the mac address by ifconfig. Due to all zero mac address , the network does not work.(You know you can't connect to network because mac address is 00:00:00:00:00:00 in some cases.)

This patch try to hack the getHardwareAddress function and put your mac address into that function. So this function return your really mac address.

Currently, this patch is not a perfect one. The issues are as follows:

1. During startup, the system hang up sometimes.

Workaround:

1. boot with -s

2. go to /System/Library

3. delete Extensions.kext and Extensions.kextcache.

4. reboot.

This workaround works for my dell D610 system.

2. You have to run the tcmpdump. Otherwise, there is still no network connection.

Based that, DHCP works. Autonegotiation works too.

How to install this patch?

Step 1: to install this patch, just like "hater's patch installation". Notes: please don't reboot it.

Step 2: to delete Extensions.kext and Extensions.kextcache.

Step 3: reboot

After successfully installation and start up successfully, if your network still does not work, please run tcpdump ( I meet this case in my dell D610. I feel strange in this case. But I have no time to resolve it. Hope others can resolve it ).

In my patch, current mac address is fixed to my computer mac address. If you want your own mac address, please follow steps to modify my attached file:

Address 2E92C: you will find the following Hex code

C6 02 00 C6 42 01 14 C6 42 02 22 C6 42 03 C9 C6

42 04 D6 C6 42 05 32

( assumpation, your mac address is UU:VV:WW:XX:YY:ZZ ) please replace above code as follows:

C6 02 UU C6 42 01 VV C6 42 02 WW C6 42 03 XX C6

42 04 YY C6 42 05 ZZ

Above works for my dell D610. But I can't make sure it works for other PC.

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

What about the Broadcom 5787 (DEV= 1693)? I tried it several ways but never managed to get it working (built in Ethernet shows up grey in network configuration, and I can't select it or do anything with it.. )

I'm new to mac so any help is welcome.

EDIT: by editing the info.plist file it no longer shows up in grey (so i guess the card is found) but now it says my cable is unplugged all the time.. any fix for this or will this patch just not work for the 5787?

There is a new patch based on hater's pacth.

This patch try to resove the following issue which happened in the hater's pacth:

The system hang up afer you want to configure the mac address by ifconfig. Due to all zero mac address , the network does not work.(You know you can't connect to network because mac address is 00:00:00:00:00:00 in some cases.)

This patch try to hack the getHardwareAddress function and put your mac address into that function. So this function return your really mac address.

Currently, this patch is not a perfect one. The issues are as follows:

1. During startup, the system hang up sometimes.

Workaround:

1. boot with -s

2. go to /System/Library

3. delete Extensions.kext and Extensions.kextcache.

4. reboot.

This workaround works for my dell D610 system.

2. You have to run the tcmpdump. Otherwise, there is still no network connection.

Based that, DHCP works. Autonegotiation works too.

How to install this patch?

Step 1: to install this patch, just like "hater's patch installation". Notes: please don't reboot it.

Step 2: to delete Extensions.kext and Extensions.kextcache.

Step 3: reboot

After successfully installation and start up successfully, if your network still does not work, please run tcpdump ( I meet this case in my dell D610. I feel strange in this case. But I have no time to resolve it. Hope others can resolve it ).

In my patch, current mac address is fixed to my computer mac address. If you want your own mac address, please follow steps to modify my attached file:

Address 2E92C: you will find the following Hex code

C6 02 00 C6 42 01 14 C6 42 02 22 C6 42 03 C9 C6

42 04 D6 C6 42 05 32

( assumpation, your mac address is UU:VV:WW:XX:YY:ZZ ) please replace above code as follows:

C6 02 UU C6 42 01 VV C6 42 02 WW C6 42 03 XX C6

42 04 YY C6 42 05 ZZ

Above works for my dell D610. But I can't make sure it works for other PC.

Hey man, your patch only runs when the nic is at promiscous mode, i made a little software to enable promisc mode at startup. The file must be expanded at /Library/StartUpItems/. you must reboot...

Can you explain how you made the patch? May be we can help you to improve it, I have a kernel panic everytime that i booted restarting (shutdowning and booting worls flawless)...

The patch is working very well no other problems that i have found, THANK YOU VERY MUCH Mr. Dongzhi.

PromiscMe.zip

It's really a bad day. My Dell D610 is stolen. All work is lost including this patch.

Here I just describe how and what is done in my pathc. Hope other guy can continue to improve

it because my patch still have two issues:

1. Promiscuous Mode only

2. System panic after rebooting.

Based on the Hater's patch, all zero MAC address is returned. After looking at IONetworkFamily kext,

getHardwareAdress shall be implemented by all Ethernet kext, such as BCM5751.

getHardwareAddress( IOEthernetAddress * addr )

So I try to rewrite the binary instruction code for getHardwareAddress function and let this function return my own mac address.

You can use otool to disemble the AppleBCM5751Ethernet, then you will find where this function is located in the file.

Via analysing the assemble code, you can replace instruction code with another code. Since I have no OSX86 now, you can use otool to dissemble the original AppleBC5751Ethernet ( this is patched by Hater ) and my patched one. You will find what is done by me.

Because I am not familer with OSX system, I don't know why system panic happen. Please continue to improve it. Thank very much for Hater and moondark.

yippe!! :) Tinheads patched extension works for me .. cool. My ethernet card was detected on reboot. Writing this from Safri :)

I am on Dell600m with Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller. Installed JaS10.4.6. sound working, internet working.

Thanks guys.

can anybody tell me what my mac address is? A have RTL8139(fully working and a mac address:00:e0:4c...) and onboard BCM5751(mac address:00:00...)

Can I just choose an address or do I have to do something for find out my mac address.

what should I do?

please help and sorry my english...

thanks...

> can anybody tell me what my mac address is?

No.

> Can I just choose an address or do I have to do something for find out my mac address.

Best if you find your correct address.

> what should I do?

I don't know your brand of computer, but some have the MAC-address written on a sticker on the bottom of the computer (laptop) or on the motherboard (if a desktop with onboard Ethernet). Otherwise the easiest would be to boot Linux or Windows and check with "ifconfig" under Linux or "ipconfig /all" under Windows.

-- zbob

I'm running Jas 10.4.6 on a Dell Latitude D820, Broadcom 5752, dev 1600.

I patched my installation with the following tutorial, that I've clipped from a previous post in this thread (quoted it below).

And it worked beautifully... for a few seconds. After loading about two pages, I get a nice and polite demand to reboot my machine (probably the GSOD. I'm new to the Mac world).

There have been two or three similar cases in a thread dedicated to the d820, but I thought others may have encountered this. Does anybody know what the problem is? I'd be pathetically greatful.

In this approach I used the "ual808" post in http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4987&hl=hex

Using 10.4.5 (Broadcom BCM5752) dev id: 1600 Vendor Id:14e4

save the file /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext in the desktop

(in the desktop copy) right click and "show contents"

find the Contents/PlugIns/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

right click and "show contents"

you going to find a file named AppleBCM5701Ethernet (you are going to use the hexeditor on it) drop it in the desktop!!

you could download an hex editor in

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10658

or

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/deve...tools/0xed.html

in the hexeditor go to Find "66 81 FA 59 16" and replace all matches with "66 81 FA 00 16"

ps. my deviceId is 16 00, took time to understand the changing

scroll down to line 37550 and change.....

change address 37554, 37555 of "75 71" to "EB 71"

save and close the file....

than inside the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext you going to find the file named "Info.plist" open it and replace the entry <string>pci14E4,1659</string> with <string>pci14E4,1600</string> and save the file.

Put back the AppleBCM5701Ethernet inside the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext (same place).

drop the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext in the original location (should need root password)

then run the commands

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now

then you will reboot.....

once booted, you need to setup the network

# setup the mac address (see it in windows "ïpconfig /all")

sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:13:72:18:XX:YY

# start options

sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP

by now you should ping your default gateway....

And that's all folks

regards

Marcelo Correa

• 2 weeks later...

Nisa your drivers worked great for my device 14e4 1677

but i have just got the weirdest problem! i got it to work on 10.4.8 with my HP dc 7100 spff. then I took another exactly same machine (hp dc 7100 spff) and install it. It doesnt let me set the ifconfig en0 ether 00:xx it crashes straight away!!!

i tried fiddling around with the drivers all day and it doesnt let me set the mac address. and i tried setting the ip address and dhcp / dns manually but it still doesnt work. doesnt respond to ping and no internet.

so i took the hdd out and put it into the first machine that worked. and i can set the mac address fine!!! so that means the drivers are working.

this is very strange cos both device is 14e4 1677. same bios version. all identical computers. unless the firmware is different on the ethernet i highly doubt that is the problem.

i have also copied the bios settings and both machine got the same settings.

anyone got any idea whats wrong?