Broadcom 570x and 575x

ohpossum

936 posts in this topic

hi all,

I've got a Dell Optiplex SX280, with Broadcom BCM5751 (14e4,1677) ethernet, on osx 10.4.3 8F1111g.

I've loaded Nisa-it's driver (204k), it loaded but with MAC address at 00:00:00:00:00:00. Here is the system log:

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 1 1659 setPowerLevels - returning early, have a 5721. onoff=, fPciDeviceId=

BCM5751Enet: Ethernet address 00:00:00:00:00:00

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 1 1659 setPowerLevels - returning early, have a 5721. onoff=, fPciDeviceId=

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: a 0 interruptOccurred - Not my interrupt

By the way, I deleted the file AppleBCM5701 inside MacOS folder in the kext file.

What is next step ? Looking for some difference between 5751 and 5701 in drivers for linux ???

phil

Hi,

I can't save the modification made in HexEditor. It says: AppleBCM5701 could not be saved as AppleBCM5701.

I've read several times this thread, but I could not find the answer.

Now, all .kext files have a folder icon instead of original one.

Does AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext work with 5788? Or only 5701?

Hi,

I can't save the modification made in HexEditor. It says: AppleBCM5701 could not be saved as AppleBCM5701.

I've read several times this thread, but I could not find the answer.

Now, all .kext files have a folder icon instead of original one.

Does AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext work with 5788? Or only 5701?

make sure you have the permissions to edit the file, get the file info and at the bottom make sure you have your user name set for ownership and that the read/write box is checked. when finished editing do a chmod and chown on the file to reset system root permissions.

Hi guys, just to let you know this thread is GOLD!!

I used the 5751 kext and it worked - I was just wondering if there was any cure or anybody working on a solution to the hangup problems, as I am sure many users need the correct MAC address.

Thanx

Danny

make sure you have the permissions to edit the file, get the file info and at the bottom make sure you have your user name set for ownership and that the read/write box is checked. when finished editing do a chmod and chown on the file to reset system root permissions.

Actually I tried to save with the option Save in File menu. But I had to check "Allow editing" and the save is done automaticaly. I'm using HexEditor.

Hater, thank you very much. It works!

Just posting a big thanks to ual808 who credited Hater for the original instructions. Thanks to the both of you for getting my Hackintosh up on the network. All I needed was the hex edited, the clear concise steps in the post on page 6 were the way to go.

hi folks,

thx for all help me to get working drivers....

best regards,

Homar

@Gellius31: try the following instructions

1. unpack AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

2. move AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/

3. open Terminal

4. sudo -s

5. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

6. cd /System/Library/Extensions/

7. chmod -R 755 AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

8. reboot

Thanks Nisa it works great with my HP DC 7100 SFF

Hi everyone,

I've a Gateway E-4500S with Broadcom BCM5752 (14e4,1600) ethernet, on osx 10.4.6 (8l1119).

Does the patched driver for BCM5751 works for BCM5752?

If true could anyone help me with a small howto?

I already installed the BCM5751 patched driver and followed the instructions on this forum. So far I've accomplished the following:

1) Installed the patched driver

2) Added to the Info.plist file the following device id:<string>pci14e4,1600</string>

3) Cleared and rebuilded the extension's cache

4) Reboot the system

After reboot I got the following dmesg:

BCM5751Enet: Ethernet address 00:00:00:00:00:00

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 resetAdapter - FTQ initialization failed

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 wakeUp - reset adapter failed

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 enable - failed

The only thing I didn't do was patching the AppleBCM5751Ethernet file because I can't find the pointed hex sequence 66 81 FA 59 16 (whichis only related with the 5701 driver).

How to patch 5751 driver to work on a 5752 NIC?

Regards,

Carreira

OK, this worked finally. Here's what I've done.

Installed the driver at the begining, didn't work.

Followed Hater's instruction for working in the hex editor on the system 5701 driver in IONetworking...

Still didnt work.

Added my device id to the Info.plist in both the new driver and the driver 5701 driver that comes with the system.

And then finally I followed the instructions for clearing the kextcache on page 6 of this thread, by Comlete.

And now it works and the ifconfig mac address setting works fine as long as I use the mac address that I copied from windows ipconfig /all.

Oh and BTW, I'm using a Broadcom NetExtreme Gigabit Ethernet. Not sure what model number, cant find it anywhere. It's a gatewway laptop.

My Dell D610 witha Broadcom 5751/(1677) won't recongnise the card with nisa's bcm5751 extension (on 10.4.6) Does anyone have na suggestions?

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 6400000a 669955aa CheckNVRam -- nvram does not start with magic constant

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 getAdapterInfo - init/sanity check of nvram failed

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up

IOCommandGate::disable() called when not gated

Backtrace 0x38a65c 0x3b19364a 0x3acadc 0x3acbad 0x37f3b3 0x37ebb9 0x380302

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5751Ethernet(2.1.0d21)@0x3b192000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(1.8)@0x359db000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.5.0)@0x3b159000

IOCommandGate::disable() called when not gated

Backtrace 0x38a65c 0x3b19364a 0x3acadc 0x3acbad 0x37f3b3 0x37ebb9 0x380302

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5751Ethernet(2.1.0d21)@0x3b192000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(1.8)@0x359db000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.5.0)@0x3b159000

THANKS YOU. It took like 2 hours of reading these threads to finally get the last version of the Broadcom driver! Worked great after I did the ifconfig set of MAC address

I have a Broadcom NetXtreme Ven 14e4 Dev 167D ethernet card!

So cool!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you rock! I tried the world and couldn't get it. Followed your directions to the letter. Have no MAC address, but DHCP works like a champ. BTW, I have a:

NetXtreme BCM5753M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express : Vendor ID 16fd

I managed to patch driver additionally to skip the NVRam Init and Check functions and now my PCI-X BCM5751m (167d device id) works even with small limitations :dev: Limitations inlude: Mac doesn't read the Mac Address (obviously it's in NVRam), does not count properly speed (it's 10 times lower in my observations, so when downloading Mac shows 10 times faster speeds than actual is... I don't care) and I didn't manage to start dhcp on start so I had to enter IP/Mask/Router/DNS manually but IT WORKS ;) In my opinion patch will work on 5750/5751 chips as well device id's 1677/1778 and so on but any feedback will be appreciated.

so I personally pathed all occurences of:

"66 81 FA 59 16" to "66 81 FA 7D 16" (It's the instruction cmp dx, 167d... yes everywhere in driver compare is against dx... I tripple checked it) not just 37336... there are 46 occurences... if I remember correctly

Second (my patch) at 37554 change 75 71 to EB 71... this changes just before initnvram and checknvram functions a jnz to a jmp... I think that this jnz is a check if there is nvram present but of course I'm not sure.

I don't know if this is the best way to patch it, mostly sure it is not but it works for me...

Test it on your own risk as I did... :D

I have a Dell XPS Gen 2, with Broadcom 570x Gigabit. Vender - 14E4 and Device 165e. I have followed the steps listed in this post and can get my internet to work. However to get it to work I go through these steps after a startup or reboot.

sudo -s

rm /system/library/extensions.mkext

rm /system/library/caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*

kextcache -c

reboot

after the reboot i have to change my en0 and manually set the MAC address using ifconfig.

How/where can i put these steps into startup so that it will set me up on the internet every time. Right now if I restart or shutdown, I have to go through the steps above again in order to get internet. Thanks.

Havent posted in a while.

I think i killed my nic using one of the listed methods.

14e4 1600

i hexedited the driver. subbed 00

changed line 37550....

Now "Network Cable unplugged", in WINDOWS and OSX

There is no activity on the LAN port now. Did i kill it????

Anybody been here before, please help. Thanks

Dell D620

EDIT: I am a moron, I didnt look under my desk to the other end of the wire. I broke the clip off, and it fell out of the jack

Everything works. xcpt having a link on wireless and wired at the same time causes things to crash??

Hi, I'm using a OptiplexGX620 at work with Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit.

The network worked fine for some time with the MAC-address booting-up as only zeros and then changed by the SetMac to it's normal.

My problem is that the network security here at work is realy tight. This MAC changes are blocking my address at the DHCP server and I must contact the sysadmins to unblock it...

What I need to know is if there is a way to enter the MAC-address manualy mory deeply into the sistem without SetMAC, so the network don't even try a single ping with the wrong MAC-address...

Anyone knows some kind of trick to do this?

------

edit:

------

Talked about with the netwaork admin on the company and he made some configuration and my IP is not blocked because of the MAC addreschange. Thank you all for the nice work you are doing. Now i'm using OS X fully functional on my DELL GX620 at work! =)

Just wanna say thanks to Nisa. Kext worked perfectly for Abit AL8 mobo with Broadcom device ID 167D. I just dropped it in, chown, chmod, reboot and voila! So awesome. I've been despairing a bit to the point of trying a MSI 945 mobo, but it would not overclock as nicely as my Abit mobo (running a Intel D920 @3.6Ghz with no voltage added!). So you have really made my day! Can now say goodbye to Windoze except for support calls.

The only problem I have is that the card only works the first time after installation. If I reboot I get message saying card is improparly installed. Any ideas? At the moment I just re-install when needed.

Hi:

I have a Broadcom 5751 in dell gx380, if I put the an IP manual the network works, but not fully, I have problems because the mac is the 00:00:00:00:00:00.

When I tried to put the real MAC, I use this command:

sudo ifconfig en0 ether 12:34:56:78:90:ab

the system hang on.

What can I do?

thanks to all you guys, i finally got os x to recognize and enable the broadcom card in my two year old asus m6n centrino laptop. device is 169c. after a couple of false starts (probably due to my noobie command of the terminal app), i got it up and running using the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext posted by nisa (thanks!!!), plus the cache flush from the humanmx post. unfortunately, like many others, my mac address is zeroed out and no dhcp. for now i'm using a static ip address and am happy to be surfing with os x, but look forward to finding a better solution in the next few days. video and sound worked right our of the box with os x, no worries there, but i'll also be keen to see how to get my intel wifi chip working.

final thought: since alot of these on board ethernet problems seem related to the broadcom chip, i wonder if os x would recognize and mcia ethernet card. may give it a try. cheers!

Hi

I have the BCM5789 chip and I used Nisas Crack.

At the first time it worked fine but after a reboot, the machine sayes that ther is an authentification problem with the .kext and that it schould not be installed correctly.

I have installed it several times, but I have the same Problem everytime after the next boot.

I hope anybody can help me.

Thx

ok, I know this sounds dumb, but how do I open the .sit file under OSX with no network.

I recall in a previous life that stuffit eXpander was used for such a task, but is was under OS 7.5 or 8 :)

Also, since the latest version is 2.0 and PPC only, does my vanilla OSX <GOAT> has the ability to run PPC code out of the box ?

cheers all and keep the good work

:(

my NIC id is 16fd

running an HP 9420, 17" widescreeen, 2GB RAM, dual core T2600 (1 core enabled), ATi 1600 screamer!

cheers,

:happymac:

Been messing with this for a few days now. By using some of the patches and methods posted here, I got to the point where it would detect a connected cable, and I could assign an address, but I could not connect to anything. I tried DHCP, which caused the system to hang when a network access attempt was made.

My dev id is 1600 -- so I'm thinking that my problem may be that this is not the 5701, but maybe one of the other models.

At this point though, I'm thinking I might just go buy a USB wireless adapter...or just wait until I have the cash to buy a real Mac. :)

So I realize this thread is really old, but I was hoping for a little bit of help.

I've been playing around with os x x86, more for fun than anything but also as a prelude to potentially buying a Mac. I wanted to see if I liked how the Mac worked before investing $2k in one and so far I quite like it although am certainly not in the 'zealous' camp yet!

I'm pretty experienced with *UX. I've had Redhat releases running services at my house for years, Ubuntu on a second partition to see if it was a decent replacement for XP (not yet imo) and now X86 as a little trial.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I'm stuck. I managed to load 10.4.1 as per many of the helping posts on the net and even managed to build a nice big 10.4.3 version on a second partition on a spare disk.

My PC is an MSI Master2 FAR (single CPU) with Broadcom onboard networking and an AC97 sound system plus sound blaster card.

Within my 10.4.3 environment I've been messing around with the BCM loads for nearly a week now trying to get them recognized. I *think* my card is a 5755, but the vendor ID is 14e4 and the device ID is 1653. I managed to load up the 5751BCM kext and got further than I had before.

Now when the system boots it complains of

11BCM5751Enet is not compatible with its superclass, 20IOEthernetController superclass changed?

Failed to load extension com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5751Ethernet

Couldn't alloc class "BCM5751Enet"

Now I've thought of trying later releases via a dvd update, but that means I have to go and spend $120 on a DVD burner which I don't really need and may still find out the BCM cards aren't supported.

So, my question is, has anyone else got the device id 1653 working and if so how. Or alternatively, does anyone know how to make the above recognize by the superclass, or perhaps decipher that error message for me!

Any help is appreciated. As I said this is a fun side project in lieu of buying a Macbook, and I'm treating it as such.