Curious about hard drive placement

2 posts in this topic

First post, so hello everyone!

I recently ordered the following Mac Pro from apple.com:

3.00 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

2GB 667 DDR2 FB DMM ECC-4x512 (I'll update this later when I find more funds)

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB

500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive

2x16x SuperDrive DL

Now my question is this, does it matter what bay the main boot drive is in? The reason I ask is the fact that I plan to slap in a 250GB Sata II drive to use as a dedicated drive for Boot Camp to install Windows on. From my understanding the first drive bay allows the following configuration of drives: 250GB, 500GB, and 750GB. The other drive bays only accept 500GB and 750GB hard drives. If this is truly the case, could I move the 500GB that will be my OS X hard drive to drive bay 2 and then slap in a 250GB hard drive in drive bay 1 without the worry of messing up the boot process of the computer? If not, I know I will most likely have to just go out and buy an additional 500GB hard drive, but I would like to just keep Windows on a small storage drive such as the 250GB hard drive.

Swap them around as much as you wish (without voiding the warranty), physical placement in your case will not affect how Mac OS X operates. As long as the drives are connected properly to the motherboard in their correct ports, everything should sing sweet music.

Enjoy your new Mac Pro :(