Non-emulated?

7 posts in this topic

Barring booting into Windows, is it possible to have Windows run through OS X while having direct access to hardware?

I mean in the sense of of current Mac OS X installation not having supported sound drivers. Now Parallels emulates the sound and because no sound device is detected, Windows has no sound even if the drivers for my sound hardware is available for Windows.

So I was wondering if there was a solution that boots Windows, other than Boot Camp which would give Windows direct access to my sound hardware, allowing me to have sound through Windows while not having sound on my Mac.

So far, this is only possible with Intel CPU's and its virtualization technology, but it's still not the best.

With other hardware, it's impossible at this point unless they implement virtualization in it as well which I doubt will happen any time soon.

So far, this is only possible with Intel CPU's and its virtualization technology, but it's still not the best.

With other hardware, it's impossible at this point unless they implement virtualization in it as well which I doubt will happen any time soon.

Basically... if your host OS cannot see the audio hardware, nothing else will. A virtual machine cannot emulate what the host OS does not have (or cannot detect) even if it works under Windows. Simple as that :(

Remember, commercial developers design apps to work under fully-functional systems. Maybe trying to get your onboard or other sound device to work might be easier than looking for a solution that is currently nonexistent.

• 3 weeks later...