Successful installation on VMWare but weird internet connectivity

13 posts in this topic

Hello All,

So I have successfully installed JAS MAC OS 10.4.8 iso onto VMware 6.0 WS. Everything works great except when I go online I can go to sites like

www.google.com and actually retrieve search info but when I go to other sites www.apple.com connection times out or Safari/Firefox hangs. I've read someone stating to check on >use rosetta on "get info" but that brought the browser to snail pace and still did not resolve the issue. I am using a bridged connection within VMWARE. Anyone know why is this happening? Is this driver related? How would it be possible to be online, and not be able to access certain internet sites?

Also sound (realtek) is not working but and display is 1028x720 (7900 GTO) but that is not a big deal. I have samba enabled on the virtual mac and I can copy things back and forth between windows and the virtual mac without a hitch.

Any ideas?

BTW-AMD FX-55 on fatality AN8 board

Thanks,

Aikora92

Well, you do realize that VMware 6 is still beta software, right?

Why not try VMware Server, or even pirate a copy of WS 5.5.3 / 5.5.4.

Other than that.. have you tried something other than bridged networking?

Is www.apple.com the only site giving you trouble?

Thanks gnubeard for your response,

Actually, I didnt really think about the fact that vmware 6 (beta) would be the problem since everything else was running so smoothly. I will try the official vmware release.

No, that is what's strange it will not go to numerous sites, like yahoo,microsoft, or cnn but it goes to google, other random pages.

Since the post I tried to install firwfox but same issue...it can get to mozilla's page of google but not to mozilla.org strange. When trying to load the other sites mentioned in the status bar it makes a connection then just hangs on the loading page.

I will let you know once I run VMWARE 5, also I probably will post about vid card and sound.

Thanks again,

Aikora92

Hello All,

Gnubeard, I have installed VMware 5.3 and still have the same problems. I am not sure at this point what is could be. On the positive side, the sound is working now but still no video beyond the default resoulution (1024x728).

I also tried to use NAT but to no avail. As I mentioned before I have shared folders between host and guest and it works flawlessly. I have copied large files to see if the connection would drop but it didn't. I am really lost here as I am new to this whole MacOS virtual stuff. I also see that I can read RSS feeds within Safari.

My wireless card is a Linksys WMP54G. I am aware that some cards do not work but some say this one should. Anyone can point me in this direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aikora92

Open a Terminal. Make sure (via Safari) that you CAN get to Google, and that YOU CANNOT get to Yahoo..

Type the following:

ping -c 2 www.google.com

ping -c 2 www.yahoo.com

nslookup www.google.com

nslookup www.yahoo.com

ifconfig

route get www.google.com

route get www.yahoo.com

After you run all the commands, copy all the resulting text out and paste it here and let me take a look.

Hello Gnubeard, thanks again for your response!

Well As I mentioned before I do not think it is a network issue as I am abble to connect to some degree. Also, I thought the MTU would have to do something with the problem as well as the link state (under windows 54MB vs 100MB under VM using e1000) but I was under the impression that the network bridge handles those differences.

Here are the results as you requested;

Last login: Mon Apr 30 08:18:58 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

santoros-computer:~ santorosana$ ping -c 2 www.google.com

PING www.l.google.com (64.233.161.103): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 64.233.161.103: icmp_seq=0 ttl=242 time=150.038 ms

64 bytes from 64.233.161.103: icmp_seq=1 ttl=242 time=537.400 ms

--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---

2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 150.038/343.719/537.400/193.681 ms

santoros-computer:~ santorosana$ ping -c 2 www.yahoo.com

PING www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net (69.147.114.210): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 69.147.114.210: icmp_seq=0 ttl=49 time=255.116 ms

64 bytes from 69.147.114.210: icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=25.880 ms

--- www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net ping statistics ---

2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 25.880/140.498/255.116/114.618 ms

santoros-computer:~ santorosana$ if config

>

santoros-computer:~ santorosana$ ifconfig

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384

inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128

inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280

stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet 192.168.0.119 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255

inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255

ether 00:00:00:00:00:00

media: autoselect (<unknown type>)

supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>

santoros-computer:~ santorosana$ route get www.google.com

route to: 64.233.161.103

destination: default

mask: default

gateway: 192.168.0.10

interface: en0

flags: <UP,GATEWAY,DONE,STATIC,PRCLONING>

recvpipe sendpipe ssthresh rtt,msec rttvar hopcount mtu expire

0 0 0 0 0 0 1500 0

santoros-computer:~ santorosana$ route get www.yahoo.com

route to: f1.www.vip.re3.yahoo.com

destination: default

mask: default

gateway: 192.168.0.10

interface: en0

flags: <UP,GATEWAY,DONE,STATIC,PRCLONING>

recvpipe sendpipe ssthresh rtt,msec rttvar hopcount mtu expire

0 0 0 0 0 0 1500 0

santoros-computer:~ santorosana$

It seems to go through....so I am not sure why the browsers do not load...might be application specific? Also, I noticed that when i run VM, CPU under windows goes up close to 100%, is this suppose to happen?

Thanks again,

Aikora92

oh forgot to mention I made sure that I was not able to get on yahoo.com but I could get on google.com!

For christsakes I can even watch google video streaming.....WTF is going here?

Thanks again!

Aikora92

well, your networking configuration looks fine.

What happens, exactly, to Safari when you go to Yahoo? Does it crash and close out? Return an error page?

You can record movies of your OS with VMware. Maybe a short clip would help me understand exactly what you're seeing.

Look at your MAC address it is all zeros. That spells trouble. I've got the same version running with the same MAC address which can't be changed. Anyone have a solution to the MAC address problem under VMware?

Hello Nesra,

Thanks for the response!

Do you mean the MAC address in the MacOS under VMWARE?

If I recall lloking throught the applets under Networking in the MAcOs it did have all zeros and set to automatic, maybe I can set it manually as it is a choice.

Will try let me see what happens.

Thanks,

Aikora92

• 5 months later...

Most of the time after adding the ethernetVirtualDev line to your config file will get you internet access (automatically configured) but in some cases you have to manually configure the MAC address, DHCP, etc.