Will a Q6600 work on an Intel D975XBX (Bad Axe 1)?

4 posts in this topic

I've been searching around and it looks like this board may support the Q6600, but not officially. I think there could be some power issues, but it's unclear to me. I have a 305 rev board.

Early reviews of the quad core used the BX rather than the BX2, but I'm not sure if these boards had been modded to make them work.

As the Q6600 has dropped quite a bit, I'd like to consider it as I have a Bad Axe 1, but don't want to have to fork out for a new BX2 as this would impact the cost/performance gain.

I do quite a bit of multi-threaded, math intensive work, so I can make use of the extra cores. If I can't get a definate answer, I'll just buy a high end core 2 duo instead.

Gimboid

As I've not had any useful responses, I continued my web searching and turned up a thread on xtremesystems.org that shows that the BX1 can handle the Q6600.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122350

Looks like the contributor, eva2000, has done quite a bit of working using the Q6600 on the BX1, so I'm planning to give it go.

Worst case, I'll just have to buy a new mobo if it doesn't work out on the BX1.

Gimboid

As I've not had any useful responses, I continued my web searching and turned up a tread on xtremesystems.org that shows that the BX1 can handle the Q6600.

I very much hope you are right, because I have exactly the same problem (well, almost: I want to buy a quad when the prices drop again in about 3 months time).

I want to avoid buying a new mobo, because every time I try to get rid of previous hardware I have problems finding a buyer and in any case I get less than half of what I originally paid.

And BTW, it is a pity we can't ask bofors. He used to be our in house hardware expert, but now he has simply disappeared.

Addendum: how about this:

http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=4130