triple-booting

jnev

72 posts in this topic

The code of HFS, FAT16 has a code, FAT32 has a code, NTFS has a code, Linux Ext2, etc etc.

Diskpart does not know that HFS correspond to AF so you need to specify tha it is an AF partition.

macgirl is right, af means HFS+ FileSystem (Hierarchical File System extended {journaled}, if i'm not wrong). I don't know how to do it in Linux, but in Win XP is so easy, you can to create this partition from Win XP. Take a look at this guide, here explain how to do it.

this is REALLY beginning to {censored} me off. i did everything according to that guide. i used diskpart to make a 20gb partition, make it primary, amke it active, everything. the only thing i did was use linux to use dd to install the image onto sdb1 since i dont know how to tell windows to install to that partition. it still wont boot. im out of ideas, and starting to get pissed.

Try it, because the skip parameter is necessary and you didn't use it in your dd command. When i was installing osx86 tried to install without skip parameter, and didn't get it, just got an error.

ok, this time i tried installing it with the command jrrjrr gave me(sudo dd if=./tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/sdb bs=32256 skip=1), and i got a hfs+ partition error. i cant use the one you gave me because i get a --progress: command not found error.

I don't know, maybe another member can help you, i did all this process, except than i installed it using Win XP instead of Linux. I used a primary partition in my Master HD, used dd to transfer the image into that partition and finally did active it. This worked like a charm, i never used slave nor USB HD nor any other thing out of common guides. Better Luck to you.

how do i install dd for windows? i downloaded it, unzipped it but when i ran the .exe to install it cmd popped up for a second and then nothing happened. dd did not get installed...

how do i install dd for windows? i downloaded it, unzipped it but when i ran the .exe to install it cmd popped up for a second and then nothing happened. dd did not get installed...

dd for Windows, not need to be installed, you only unzip it into a folder (the same folder where you have tiger-x86-flat.img and the rest of those files copied) and it's run in command line window ("cmd" in the run option in the "Start" button in Win XP). Is so easy. I remember that i did offer you this program, but you didn't answer any.

thanks. here's the error message i get when i try to run the command you gave me. one thing i'm not sure about is do i still use sdb1? that's what i'd use in linux, what would i use to signify what drive/partition i want to install to in windows?

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\My Documents\OSX86\tiger-x86>dd bs=32256 skip

=1 if=./tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/sdb1 --progress

rawwrite dd for windows version 0.3.

Written by John Newbigin <jn@it.swin.edu.au>

This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details

Error opening output file: 3 The system cannot find the path specified

thanks. here's the error message i get when i try to run the command you gave me. one thing i'm not sure about is do i still use sdb1? that's what i'd use in linux, what would i use to signify what drive/partition i want to install to in windows?

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\My Documents\OSX86\tiger-x86>dd bs=32256 skip

=1 if=./tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/sdb1 --progress

Error opening output file: 3 The system cannot find the path specified

You must to read the guide (that link that i posted before in Post #56). There is explained, how to do it, step by step. If you'd have read that, then you'd know that dd is a command line program, not a GUI program. Read that document, that will save a lot of questions and answers.

yes i know that its a command line program, thats the error i get when i stick it into the command line. thats just the whole prompt i pasted in...

ok here is the error i get when i try to dd:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\My Documents\OSX86\tiger-x86>dd if=tiger-x86-

flat.img of=\\?\Device\HarddiskVolume5 bs=32256 skip=1 --progress

Error native opening file: 0 The operation completed successfully

and yes, that is in the command line. i finally realized that it's volume 5 after my 100gb music partition got written over :unsure:

You must to be carefully when you select the partiton, in the guide they show, that after to create the partiton (size=6660) you must to show all partitions in your Master HD. A tip that they don't tell, is that you must restart after create the partition (so the OS can to know the new partition), then there you'll ask all partition in your master HD, and will chose that "unknow" type of size 6660 (6.5 GB aprox), the last partition created (almost always). I think than you don't read carefully, this's for person with patience, those than really care about.

this is retarded. i did EVERYTHING it said to on that guide, i finally got dd working, i selected the partition i want, installed it it with dd, made it active, everything. when i reboot and select osx in grub i still get a hfs partition error.

this is retarded. i did EVERYTHING it said to on that guide, i finally got dd working, i selected the partition i want, installed it it with dd, made it active, everything. when i reboot and select osx in grub i still get a hfs partition error.

You aren't being honest, because if you did activate the af partition like you said, then you woldn't boot with grub nor anything more, only with darwin. So i can do nothing for you, you'll need a lot good luck and a better attitude.

wtf is your problem dude. i did EVERYTHING you told me to do. how do i get to the darwin bootloader?? i reboot my comp and all i see is grub.

i'm not goddamn lying about {censored}, i'm telling you everything that happened. i did every goddamn thing you told me to do, it still doesnt work. maybe i'm stupid, whatever, im not lying. this is pure {censored}.