New Security Update

SA22C

61 posts in this topic

Well, I'm on the other side and everything seems peachy.

This update does include changes to loginwindow.app though, so that may cause crashes for some people.

even the Airport Update? i heard it crashed the system for some people

I don't remember ever having an Airport update option so I can't comment on that. And anyway I don't have airport on my Hackintosh so wouldn't need to update it even if I did.

I just know that I've updated everything except the OS X system update and not had a problem. BTW I only learned after I foolishly updated the OS X update a few months ago. So I guess I leaned from my mistakes.

So, just to confirm, it's safe to install Security Update 2007-004?

When I run apple update I don't get an option to update Security Update 2007-004, which I'm assuming could mean I've already updated it. Is there a way to tell? Then I would be happy to let you all know.

BTW i'm running 10.4.7.

Yes. Anothering confirmation it works. The "Airport Extreme Update 2007-002" was what I was referring to. I don't have airport either, but it just shows everytime i open up Software Update.

Edit: Never mind. That also works too. it must have been a one time thing for me it wasn't working last installation (a.k.a. before clean install)

Guys, just make sure you back up your loginwindow.app and restore it after this update. If you go to about this mac after updating without fixing loginwindow.app it will log you out.

Can you just please explain a little more there and just tell us how you do it?

Thanks in advance.

Anlunchandamovie, what did you mean by the "Never mind. That also works too."?

Can you just please explain a little more there and just tell us how you do it?

Thanks in advance.

Anlunchandamovie, what did you mean by the "Never mind. That also works too."?

Quite simple really:

sudo cp -R /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app /backup/

That's a command with tells it to copy the loginwindow.app to a folder called "backup" within the root of the drive.

Or, another way would be to navigate to loginwindow.app within Finder, and copy / paste it to a backup folder.

Quite simple really:

sudo cp -R /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app /backup/

That's a command with tells it to copy the loginwindow.app to a folder called "backup" within the root of the drive.

Or, another way would be to navigate to loginwindow.app within Finder, and copy / paste it to a backup folder.

SABR, I'm just wondering how you can actually be able to use the backup if your login setup is messed up?

Also if you can get into OS X to load how do you restore the backup?

Note that you may not have to use your old loginwindow.app.

I didn't, it works just fine with the updated version.

I second SA22C , take note if you update using Jas 10.4.9 combo update you dont have change loginwindow.app.

I second SA22C , take note if you update using Jas 10.4.9 combo update you dont have change loginwindow.app.

I am also on 10.4.9, updated, and I didn't have to replace loginwindow either. However, it is generally good practise to do so, just in case. :)

All is working perfect here! :)

===========================

SABR, I'm just wondering how you can actually be able to use the backup if your login setup is messed up?

Also if you can get into OS X to load how do you restore the backup?

If the worst comes to the worst, you can boot with -s and enter these commands to replace loginwindow.app back to where it should be:

sudo cp -R /backup/loginwindow.app /System/Library/CoreServices

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

:)

I am also on 10.4.9, updated, and I didn't have to replace loginwindow either. However, it is generally good practise to do so, just in case. :)

All is working perfect here! :)

===========================

If the worst comes to the worst, you can boot with -s and enter these commands to replace loginwindow.app back to where it should be:

Do you mean Security Update 2007-004?

Did you do that?

Do you mean Security Update 2007-004?

Did you do that?

Yes, the one which was released today.

I do have one problem though. My memory is showing up as 0 MHz:

Picture_1.jpg

But I'm sure this can be fixed. I'm going to try replacing loginwindow with my backup to see whether that fixes it.

Brilliant, I'll make a not of that somewhere for a just in case situation.

Thanks

I do have one problem though. My memory is showing up as 0 MHz:

post-22994-1177034929_thumb.jpg

But I'm sure this can be fixed. I'm going to try replacing loginwindow with my backup to see whether that fixes it.

So you got that change after the security update? Is your system any slower? Probably just another one of those many OS X misreading the system issues.

Brilliant, I'll make a not of that somewhere for a just in case situation.

Thanks

So you got that change after the security update? Is your system any slower? Probably just another one of those many OS X misreading the system issues.

Ok, so I replaced loginwindow.app from within OS X and it fixed the memory speed issue. I would recommend to everyone that they backup their loginwindow.app and replace it, just to make sure everything is ok. System performance is just the same, boot time is around 15 seconds, everything is the same really.

These are the steps I did to replace loginwindow.app (assuming it is stored in /backup):

sudo rm -R /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app
sudo cp -R /backup/loginwindow.app /System/Library/CoreServices/
diskutil repairPermissions /
sudo reboot

Hope that helps. :)

P.S. All fixed:

Picture_2.jpg