Bugs in 9a410

t3mur

25 posts in this topic

Okay this topic is for all of us to share the know and future bugs in 9a410 Build. Finally downloaded it and about to do a clean install . OMG cannot be more exited. Unlike others, i will post MANY screen shots. Don't worry, no one will catch me. I live under a bridge in a box that my 24"

imac came in. ;)

Is 9A410 compatible with older G4 Macs?

I've got a bootable DL DVD, but on my 1.42 GHz Mini G4 overclocked to 1.57 GHz, when booted from the DVD the installer will not run, stating, "Leopard 10.5 is not compatible with your Mac". This is strange since it boots previously installed 9A303 perfectly.

Is there an alternate install method?

I've tried double-clicking the OSInstall.mpkg and also using Pacifist, neither of which seems to be able to open any of the Leopard packages? Also, my 9A303 System that boots appears to have no permissions, at least Disk Utility says there is nothing available to repair.

Is 9A410 compatible with older G4 Macs?

I've got a bootable DL DVD, but on my 1.42 GHz Mini G4 overclocked to 1.57 GHz, when booted from the DVD the installer will not run, stating, "Leopard 10.5 is not compatible with your Mac". This is strange since it boots previously installed 9A303 perfectly.

Is there an alternate install method?

I've tried double-clicking the OSInstall.mpkg and also using Pacifist, neither of which seems to be able to open any of the Leopard packages? Also, my 9A303 System that boots appears to have no permissions, at least Disk Utility says there is nothing available to repair.

I have the same problem with my Powermac G4 (733, 1GB ram, quicksilver). I boot fine from the install but then it says that its incompatible with my mac and then ok, or restart. wont even let me try to pic a disk to install too. It also ran another build of leopard perfectly.

Apple gettin rid of G3s in one thing. Yes, there will be a lot of pissed custimers and so on, but to get rid of support for the g4, i mean come on, its only been a little bit over a year since apple stoped shipping the powerbook G4 and less since they stoped shipping the ibook and mac mini G4s. I really hope apple doesnt make that mistake..........

Mainly 3rd part app problems:

-when I save files in Firefox the extension is missing

-some graphics problems with text in text areas in firefox

-adium icon in dock doesn't' change

-parallels causes kernel panic

-vmware fussion cannot be activated

- can't empty trash (Finder crashes)

- can't open the info (Finder also crashes)

- can't copy files (same error as above)

Any help?

1) i cant empty the trash when i use the hotkeys but if you click on the trash can & hit the empty button in the new window, it works. have you tried that?

2) have you tried restarting your mac? the system preferences panel was really messed up right after it finished installing, but after a restart, everything's running fine.

I got the same message ""Leopard 10.5 is not compatible..." but I solved it

by formatting the final partition with Leopard's Disk Utility, rebooting and

repeating the installation.

A more serious problem is that it is impossible to configure a PPPoE DSL

connection since the Network preferences are partially borked: I succeded

only by importing the network settings from the Tiger partition by using the

Migration Assistant.

by order of occurence

1. LCD connected via DVI/analog adapter on FX5200 results in black screen after boot (works fine if connected directly to DVI)

2. X11 preferences cannot be saved

3. Wireless keyboard keeps losing connection (MightyMouse works fine though)

4. VLC 0.8.6b works very slow (not a bug per se, probably because the OS is compiled with debug settings)

5. Creating multiple Todo's on a same mail results in ugly overlap

Well, I keep having to borrow a friend's wired mouse to install Leopard. This problem is not new to this build. I have experienced it with all of the Leopard builds

Odd thing is that once the new OS is installed, the wireless keyboard and mouse work just fine. Just not, for some reason, with the installer!

leopard's network settings either a) won't save or :thumbsdown_anim: save but disappear after a reboot.

the only workaround I found is to use migration assitant & migrate your network settings from your tiger volume. even then, the settings aren't proper after you restart your mac - you have to toggle to another location & then toggle back in the apple menu for the right settings to load.

sometimes the trash can won't erase, but the way to workaround that is to open the trash can & hit the empty button. doing so somehow resets the hotkeys to actually empty the trash after you hit OK on the empty trash dialog box.

spotlight sometimes does not show up in the menu bar after a log in. to work around, force quit the finder & relaunch it. spotlight magically reappears after that. you might have to use the hotkeys (apple key + alt + esc)

all in all, with the exception of the problems listed above, i think it is a pretty stable release compared to previous versions.

I got the same message ""Leopard 10.5 is not compatible..." but I solved it

by formatting the final partition with Leopard's Disk Utility, rebooting and

repeating the installation.

I reformatted and got nothing, still "not compatible" with my G4 Mini. I think the issue may be the fact that I've overclocked it to 1.57 GHz but since Apple never made a 1.57 GHz it reads 750 MHz in System Profiler. I'm not going to switch back to 1.42 GHz, it's been running fine for a year overclocked.

Why can't I open any of the Leopard packages? Why can't Pacifist install the Leopard packages?

Why can't I open any of the Leopard packages? Why can't Pacifist install the Leopard packages?

With Leopard Apple has started using the XAR format by the former OpenDarwin

developers (RIP).

If you open the window with the datailed installation log, you can see

the error messages related to the setup process: a lot of them

are due to many bugs still in the Installer itself, so it is probably better not

to customize many options and to start the installation with a blank

partition already formatted.

I got it and installed this latest build as productive OS (read primary OS). I highly suggest to avoid this way: the system is not stable, crash often when moving large files and there are none so many new entries as expected (or I was looking for).

Just a tip: use an alternative Finder, as Path Finder. It's the only way to manage volumes without go to medic.

1) Can't eject disk images

2) BackRow still not running

3) Front row cannot be started w/the remote. You must first hit cmd-esc to start the app, then pressing "menu" on the remote works

4) .divx files crash QT

For me, VLC 0.8.6a runs fine.

PS: Just thought I'd point out that Safari now has a grey background when you open a .mov file with it. It makes for a much better viewing experience than the awful white. Check it out!

My problem is every time I try to install 9A410 I get to the blue screen that comes up after the white boot screen(with the apple logo) and suddenly my iMac shuts down. And when I press the power button it boots again only to crash if I try to install leopard (Mac OS X 10.4 Server still boots fine though). Also my computer is a 20" iMac G5 1.8GHZ (the original one) 1.5GB RAM, and the LOVELY NVida GeForce 5200FX Graphics card anyone else having this problem, i know it's in the release notes.

yeah I found that too. I also tried svn builds of adium, the same result. The dock icon doesn't change when you are connected or when you receive message.

The biggest problem for me that neighter of Parrarels nor VMware works on 9a410.

there are lots lots lots of bug for the leopard.. (well, may be ppl just too tired to put it here)

Real player interface corrupted.

mail crashes with gmail setting

colloquy react very slow

and a lot more...

I don't see Leopard have much improvement over tiger, and most of the new features are poorly implemented.

there are lots lots lots of bug for the leopard.. (well, may be ppl just too tired to put it here)

Real player interface corrupted.

mail crashes with gmail setting

colloquy react very slow

and a lot more...

I don't see Leopard have much improvement over tiger, and most of the new features are poorly implemented.

My problem is every time I try to install 9A410 I get to the blue screen that comes up after the white boot screen(with the apple logo) and suddenly my iMac shuts down. And when I press the power button it boots again only to crash if I try to install leopard (Mac OS X 10.4 Server still boots fine though). Also my computer is a 20" iMac G5 1.8GHZ (the original one) 1.5GB RAM, and the LOVELY NVida GeForce 5200FX Graphics card anyone else having this problem, i know it's in the release notes.

Maybe it's clear the re-scheduled shipping date: iPhone was not the real reason at the end :P

Now I'm wondering: why many bugs?