Macbook, Macbook Pro, or wait

2 posts in this topic

Hello I've been reading most of the forums for the past few months. I originally was waiting for the leopard release. But that has been postponed til october. I read somewhere to wait for after the NAB to see if they'll put new items. Also because of the new chip of intel that will be released in a few months...i'm worried about buying

I'm about to purchase my first new apple comptuer..so i'm very foreign to apple world. But want it for stability reasons.

I have a couple of question. I hope someone can help me with. I'm a medical student so i don't have much time to play video games. at most i need it to just play WOW (world of warcraft) once and awhile. Only thing is my deadline is June 5 since i go to a foreign medical school and my school starts again.

1) I've been stuck between Macbook (black) vs Macbook Pro (15in). For me first off i don't want to be carrying a heavy laptop. I got a dell laptop currently and it's so heavy since i got the biggest one. Size and weight is important to me. But at the same time i'm so on the fence between both. I plan on upgrading both to at least 2 gb Ram. I don't know what the CardExpress3/4 is for..and i don't think i'll use that. But the question beside the video card, what truely is the reason go get a macbook pro?

2) In my school we sometimes to do presentations, so what item would i need to purchase so that i can attach my future laptop to show it.

3) I've heard in the pass that when they announce a release sometimes they'll give u the new software for free. If the release of leopard is roughly october..when will they do this. How come they just don't do like windows vista and just offer it for thsoe who want to buy a computer in the future.

4) when vista was announce they required basically a new computer (hence why i'm buying a new computer), i'm worried that if i buy the laptop..will leopard really support it

5) I was wondering does the laptop come with a s-video wire or whatever it is..taht i can connected the laptop to the tv. I use slingbox to watch US games online live. So i need to hook up my laptop to the tv so i can view it on the tv. What accesorry would i need to purchase if it's not included?

6) i'm looking into an incase laptop cover...what would u recommend for the laptop

7) since i play wow when i have the time which is not much. do i have to buy a mighty mouse to play? Or can any mouse be okay? just not sure..becuase i don't see a second button for right click (again sorry am new to apple)

8) Viruses are important to me. i know mac is safe for viruses. but what virus programs do u recommend. because while i might be safe, i don't want to be giving my friends viruses and most of them are windows base. what is the best virus program i use bitdefender, but problem is some virus went through it and destroyed my computer..so i'm switching to mac. beside being the best virus program..what is the best for scanning both windows and mac viruses?

Again sorry for the long post. i hope someone can help me.

Actually there's reason why MBP is more expensive than MB.

I'm a iMac G5, iBook G4 and MacBook CD user and as for me, MBP is still at the top of my dream list.

I adore MBP because of it's beautiful casing, with good keyboard and nice widescreen LCD.

It is also not really heavy for me, just a little bit big.

If you are considering about weight, MBP is surely weight more than MB.

As far as I concern, now both MB and MBP can be upgraded their RAM up to 3GB

and for the CardExpress slot, there's not much hardware that use that type of slot now,

it's still new things, I also could not find out what hardware that can be use with that things.

All I can say is, besides the video card, aluminium casing, illuminated keyboard and bigger LCD,

there's no other reason for you to get MBP. If you can get over with all the stuff above, just go for MB.

For presentation, you'll need to buy VGA connector,

I already forgot it's price because I bought it together with my MB last time.

As for free software, I didn't know that. Maybe in your place there's something like that.

But in my place, if you bought your OS / Macs and in 30 days they released new version of it,

you can claim Apple to change your OS / Macs with the latest one, without need to pay anything.

Don't worry about the hardware support.

If you buy Macs, it should can support new OS for at least 4 or 5 years.

My 4 years iBook and my 2 years iMac G5 still can run Tiger without any problem.

So you don't have to worry about it. It's not like Vista.

Anyway, Vista is a major updates from Microsoft, if you bought computer that meet Vista requirements now, it should support you for the next 2 or 3 years.

As for the s-video wire, I think you can try to as kaat any Apple Store. I think they sell the s-wire converter.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any USB mouse should be working very nice with all Macs.

And for the antivirus, I could not help you because I didn't really know about it.

Last time I use antivirus for Mac is when the first month I bought my iBook, that's 4 years ago.

Never ever think of antivirus in Mac anymore.