• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ghw9132

ghw9132

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I'm not sure if it is possible with this forum, but is there any way to modify the search feature so it will find two or more separate words in a post instead of an exact phrase?

ie: search) hi you
would not find the post: hi, how are you?
So often are people told to use the search function, but unless you know the exact phrase, it won't return any hits.

johnniecarcinogen

johnniecarcinogen

Yellow Box

• Gurus
  • 746 posts

I'm not sure if it is possible with this forum, but is there any way to modify the search feature so it will find two or more separate words in a post instead of an exact phrase?

ie: search) hi you
would not find the post: hi, how are you?
So often are people told to use the search function, but unless you know the exact phrase, it won't return any hits.

use google. just put "site:http://forum.osx86project.org" in the query.

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts
Just use the 'and' command, so like install and nvidia for example.

DrJägermeister

DrJägermeister

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Interests:Sex, drugs and rock & roll

Don't work if I have 4 keywords:
ati 'and' osx 'and' 10.4.3 'and' centrino
or without the '
ati and osx and 10.4.3 and centrino
I still get and error message.

ghw9132

ghw9132

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Wow, it has been at least a decade since i used boolean terms in a search field, hadn't thought to do that.
(ok, well i do use -keyword sometimes to omit certain bogus results on google)

kikos

kikos

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Let me know if there is already a way solve my problem with the search function.

When I search for a word (i.e. boot), it returns posts that have the word boot in the individual posts. That's good, but I also want a way to search for a word only if the word appears in the topic of the post.

The problem with the search-all-posts-method is that I get too many pages of threads that don't address the topic I want to see, which makes my search inefficient.

jbjonas

jbjonas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:OSx86 ;-) <br />Networking<br />VW<br />Electronica<br />Cosmol...
When you're in the forum, put your mouse over the forum tab on top and choose search. The advanced search has a feature to search titles only. :dev: It took me much longer than it should have to find that feature as well :hysterical:

kikos

kikos

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

When you're in the forum, put your mouse over the forum tab on top and choose search. The advanced search has a feature to search titles only. :D It took me much longer than it should have to find that feature as well :dev:

That will save so much time. Thanks, jbjonas! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy